JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was watching one of those shows where people buy unpaid storage units at auction and then sell whatever they find inside.

On this one show the people found a bunch of guns including a Thompson's sub-machine gun. It turned out to be a non-firing replica, but it bought a question to mind.

Suppose you did this in Oregon. Bought a storage unit and found a machine gun in it. Could you legally own this? You can own a MG in Oregon, but i think you have to get the license first. Is there a way to legally own a MG that suddenly come into your possession?

Anyone that would store a high dollar item such as that in a storage unit, it's probably an illegal item. I dont see it happening with a registered item owned by someone that knows the rules/laws.

I think I have heard that ANY firearm bought through an auction at a storeage facility has to go through a background check before it can be transfered to the buyer. It has to be cleared of being stolen and the new owner has to be background checked.

As to an NFA item I have never heard details.

IF it was a legally registered gun I am sure it could be properly transferred.

IF it was not legally registered then it would get turned over to the ATF. You could possibly transfer it to a museum or LEO agency, if either wanted it but unlikely you would get paid for it.

Of course if you found one and you knew it was illegal then you could strip the gun (prior to telling the ATF) and turn in the receiver (the part they consider the gun) and sell the rest as a parts kit, or build a semi auto out of it.

Anyone that would store a high dollar item such as that in a storage unit, it's probably an illegal item. I dont see it happening with a registered item owned by someone that knows the rules/laws.

In this case, the storage unit's previous owner was a gunshop owner. The unit was full of gun cases, powder, chemicals, and stuff like that. But it also had about 10 pistols and two nice sniper-type rifles.

From watching these shows, you might be surprised how many time guns are found in the units.
:s0131:

In this case, the storage unit's previous owner was a gunshop owner. The unit was full of gun cases, powder, chemicals, and stuff like that. But it also had about 10 pistols and two nice sniper-type rifles.

From watching these shows, you might be surprised how many time guns are found in the units.
:s0131:

I dont believe everything I see on TV.

ever considered maybe just maybe in a few cases; the owners were old people who had to go into retirement homes; and put their belongings in a long term storage unit and then eventually died, left no evidence in wills or some such for their next of kin? I think most retirement homes have a "no gun" policy.....and no room for EVERYTHING of theirs...

I think most retirement homes have a "no gun" policy.....and no room for EVERYTHING of theirs...

I work security in a retirement facility. We don't have a no gun policy. The administrator had a pistol in his office. One security person asked him if it was OK if he carried concealed, all the administrator said was "You have a permit right?" Just don't do anything stupid."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top