JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What?!? 1911s are outdated and irrelevant? Cannot find good mags for them? Pish tosh [insert a lot of Fudd talk here] ... I loves my 1911s. I will never/ever change my screen name to Pop's .380 or Pop's 9mm. Besides, Goober prolly doesn't have the wrists to shoot an honest to goodness 1911 beyond the first shot where he drops the weapon and screams like a 10 year old gurl while hopping in circles. I think I actually saw him on one of those funny utubee vids. Ah, 'tis all in good fun anyway. Everybody gotta make a buck writing something these days.

Secondly he forgets that people have different needs for pistols or cartridges.
Yep - sign of an inexperienced gun owner.

FAR too many newbee gun owners approach it from a purely 'defensive' position and have most likely never grew up sport shooting, plinking, hunting of any type or ever shot something like a fine, long barreled S & W in the field.

I was once having a conversation with a forum member and while an admitted, relatively new gun owner he stated, 'I don't see any reason to own a gun other than for defense'

What if I just want to shoot (one) of my 7mm Remington magnums at steel a few hundred yards away and nothing else? Pretty sure I could hunt/defend myself with that, I just don't. What's your friend's opinion on "just because?"

I wouldn't personally carry a 44 Magnum for defense, but it's a hell of a great field pistol and hunting cartridge.

Indeed, I've found it a great "all around" cartridge here in the hinterland. (No, I wouldn't carry one into the city under business clothes, but holstered in the sticks, most certainly.)

IMO the article is an example of just enough knowledge to be dangerous. He needs to let his thought process go at least tw more steps from where he stopped.

Good example of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

To the author:

LOL!

One man's overrated is one man's much needed...
Besides , if we all liked and used the same firearms , then gun shops and this very forum , would be extremely boring...:D

^^^

This.

I did not agree with the article but to each their own.

Cate

Well its obvious as hell that guy is the biggest moron.
I think the trend now days is to knowingly write, film, pose, wear or say something outrageous, inflammatory or trollish in an effort to get hits or likes. We see politicians and celebrities doing it quite a bit...especially celebrities who slip into obscurity all of a sudden show up wearing a skimpy dress and a wardrobe malfunction.

This crap is intentional and done to play on the predictable responses of the masses.

That being said, everyone knows CZs are the best and 10mm will vaporize anything.

1) "Reads and feels like a high school level essay."
Yeah, under Common Core maybe. My Senior English Teacher would not have given that screed much more than a D.
2) "Kind of like driving an old Volvo? You know, they're boxy but they're good?"
A high school friend had a Volvo 544 with a built motor (c. 1964-5). He really surprised some of the jocks with their 283s. I can attest that it ran real well. Something to remember about automotive aesthetics: If I'm driving it I'm not looking at it from the outside, so if it's ugly it's not poking me in the eye. We have a '14 Hyundai 2.0l Turbo with 276hp. The front is really ugly, but I can live with that because it runs well. The new ones are prettier but have about 40 less hp. Plastic guns are ugly too, but I carry one because it works.
3) Hi-Point: Uglier than a mud fence. Looked down on by all who know good guns, including me. Seems as if the only people who have anything good to say about them are H-P owners. It also seems like the individual gun either works or it really sucks. I remember what it's like to be monetarily challenged, so I recognize that there is a place for something for people who don't care about aesthetics. Economics trumps all the rest when money is short.
4) Glock - Uglier than a mud fence. It's spectacular success must say something about the soundness of the design. Overrated? hardly.
5) 1911 - How can anything that's still going strong after 108 years and the standard against which new guns are compared be overrated? The 1912 Steyr was a contemporary design, and now it's an interesting footnote. Yes, I like 1911s.

What?!? 1911s are outdated and irrelevant? Cannot find good mags for them? Pish tosh [insert a lot of Fudd talk here] ... I loves my 1911s. I will never/ever change my screen name to Pop's .380 or Pop's 9mm. Besides, Goober prolly doesn't have the wrists to shoot an honest to goodness 1911 beyond the first shot where he drops the weapon and screams like a 10 year old gurl while hopping in circles. I think I actually saw him on one of those funny utubee vids. Ah, 'tis all in good fun anyway. Everybody gotta make a buck writing something these days.
Remember a good 1911 is expensive. That $800 I spent on my Colt 70 series is just too expensive, and RIAs are just too expensive. :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top