JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Yes I think that a Pro Mask* is overkill...
But what I think...shouldn't really matter.
Its your life , make your own choices..and take responsibility for your choices and actions.
Andy
* Term we used in the Army for what many folks call a '"gas mask"...
We were "behooved" to not use the term gas mask....:D

Over half a century ago, paper routes were great for learning to earn (I was terrible in the berry fields, eating half of whatever I picked).

My father didn't readily grasp the logic of a one-speed Schwinn Stingray with ape hangers and a banana seat... "It's like a chopper Dad!!!" But it was my money so that's what I bought. I did, however, allow myself to be influenced on the big day, opting for a "more practical" knobby rear tire. Quickly realizing the error of my ways, I skidded that one bald in weeks and replaced it with a proper drag slick - because, obviously, that's what everybody needs to get off the line in a hurry.

Didn't quite have girls under my skin yet. So, for a year or two anyway, it was all about Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and Don Garlits.

View attachment 638943

SCBA, it's the only way to be sure.
Thought about that as well. Throwing on an airlock would blow some

Better than a mask: A Scott Airpack with goggles.

Oh, just put nose plugs in while you're at it too...almost forgot about that part of the anatomy...

So I got some nitrile gloves, and a gas mask a while ago. I have not worn either to the store but am considering doing so now. Usually I've just been sanitizing my hands when I get done shopping then leave the stuff I bought sit in the house for 3-4 days before putting it away, washing my hands multiple times from start to end (shopping to unloading to putting away).

Breathing in the vapor cloud from someones sneeze is a likely way to get the virus though. Hence the gas mask. I do have an N95 face mask respirator as well. So wear nothing, gas mask or N95 mask?
It's pretty overkill, I conceal wear mine just to be safe.

Two days ago I saw someone wearing a Astronauts suit( like they where going on a space walk) in the Mt. Tabor area. So gas mask is not surprising.

Wifey saw a guy wearing one of these into the store yesterday. Not that there's anything wrong with that I suppose. Use what ya' got.

1585415548845.png

Self explanatory to the nervous.
Put a sign on your back, if/when taking the option of wearing a full face while shopping.
back_blast_area_warning_rectangular0.jpg

A man here was ejected from a Walmart for wearing a gas mask.

Apparently, he was alarming the other customers.

Saw a guy wearing a paint/dust respirator (reusable filter type) in Winco when I was there last week. Most people ignored him. I noticed the cashier look his way so I turned to see him.

I would vote for the N95 filter paper/cloth type filter - it should be adequate if you feel the need. I don't, my kids do.

I have a bottle if anyone needs it bad. 70%. Have a few 50% as well. I live down by Raymond, south bend. No charge. Probably isn't worth the gas but anyway. Just message me

No, heck no. Thanks for the offer. Save it for yourself. I'm generally away from the public, and their accouterments. I've managed to not need to go to the store but once a week. I'd be at the store three days in a row sometimes. All I really want is to go to our favorite dive bar/grill for a couple drinks and the burger and hand cut fries I love so much. That's also a break from fixing dinner every night.

Gas masks protect against biological agents. So it would work.

Honestly surprised you don't have paid staff to send to the store though! ;)

I have both full and half face respirators. The full face would be a bit much.
The half face I would have no problem wearing while out and about.
They're better than the N95 surgical types, but out of place (or are they, given the falling out of care providers?) in the medical field.
I have the N95 masks on-hand as well.

In case you haven't already seen this:

N95's are just fine, don't forget the disposable gloves. If you feel a full mask, gas mask, whatever you decide is necessary go for it.

I did hear if you wear a Bernie Sanders mask that everything is free...

N95. Gloves. Avoid others. Sanitize hands before entering car. To be more certain, spray/wipe packaged items once home, as infected persons may have stocked them. Then wash hands and relax.

(Fernando Aguirre, wrote books based on surviving the economic collapse of Argentina etc.)

My take on it: what do you care about more, your health, or what random strangers think of you?

If you have decided you don't want to catch the virus, why not take it seriously and go for full measures? First minimize risk; don't go out to stores when they are crowded, don't be around other people if you don't need to. That would be the pandemic version of the self-defense adage "don't go to stupid places at stupid times with stupid people."

After that, if and when you do need to be around others consider what is gained and lost by your behavior. There can certainly be harm (catching and spreading the virus) from not doing enough. Is there harm for going overboard? Maybe some social scorn, or maybe just some other people that wish they were doing as much as you and get passive aggressive about their own lack of precaution? Extra donning and doffing/decontamination procedures and wasted time?

In a self-defense context many "normal people" (e.g. big city inhabitants) would also say carrying extra magazines, or even carrying a gun at all, is "going overboard" based on the extremely low likelihood of having to use it. But I think most people here have accepted that while the likelihood of being in a fight for your life is low, the cost of not protecting yourself is too high. If you have resolved not to catch this virus, if you think the cost of catching the virus in your situation is too high, then this is just another self-defense scenario for you. The mask and other PPE you wear is likely less concerning to most people in the I-5 corridor than the gun you are carrying, if they could see it.

If it is your goal not to catch the virus, why not wear the full face mask, the chem suit, etc.? Why not use the reusable (as opposed to disposable) mask with the better face seal, that also fully protects your eyes? Why risk tracking stuff into your car only for it to be blown around by the ventilation system? Why not go overboard and be assured of meeting your goal of not catching the virus, rather than rolling the dice?

What do you care about more: not catching the virus, or social acceptance from other shoppers? If you can answer that question then I think the answer makes your choices for you.

Why do you need us to tell you what you should or should not be doing? Everyone has to make their own decisions, what's overkill for one is essential to another.

I've broken out the half face respirator and p100 filters, along with non vented eye pro, and shaved the beard. That's my decision, and some would ridicule me for it, I don't care what they think.

Since you asked, I would say use up the n95s before using using the full on gas mask.
There is lots of info in the official thread about sanitizing masks for reuse to make them last longer. I recommend UV-C light, and dispose after treating 10 times, because the uv light slowly degrades the materials.
Or let them sit for a week before reuse. Any virus should be deactivated by then.

I spent enough time in MOPP 4. For those who want to play Army, go right ahead.

Edit: MOPP level 4. Just add LBE, M16, 1911, hike 2 miles to the range, shoot, fix idiots jams, stop by the gas chamber on the way back, remove chemical protective mask, breathe deeply, don mask again, hike back to the barracks, remain in MOPP4 until C.O.B. Cold War good times!

1585459103379.png

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR