JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I hear two WCSO officers on the radio last night. One calls another on a side channel and say I just took this call, this guy met some dude in Walgreens parking lot to buy a gun, met on some gun trading website. The guy sells the other dude the gun. Gets home and finds out over half the bills are fake.

Guy is pissed and wants to find the dude and calls WCSO for assistance. The deputy tells him that is fine, but I will have to arrest you for an illegal firearms transaction. Guy says well maybe I do not need your help.

So these deals are still going down, idiots still have guns and the criminal element continues to flourish and operate.

Not that I support it in ANY way.. BUT the true failure is on the state for not promiting it after it was passed. Perhaps instead of pissing our taxes away on "art" and other administrative BS they could have done a massive campaign ad.. Hell half the young college idiots didnt even know oregon passed a mandatory background check law!!! They still bring up the gun show loophole.. (bubbleguming idiots!)
So obviously there are those not as tuned in as we are... And they even voted for the bubblegum! Some are oblivious completely.

But I digress.. We as firearm enthusiasts KNEW this wouldnt stop a G.D. thing other than harass US law abiding citizens. We should have protested and FORCED that bill to be halfway decent allowing and recignizing grey areas and making all forced unconstitutional tabs on transfers FREE OR had the bill forgotten altogether..

I thought you can't complain about a deal gone bad when the deal, itself, is illegal. For example, if one gets robbed during a drug deal, one is S.O.L. Now that BGC's are the law, I would assume that you cannot call the cops if screwed in a FTF gun deal. Didn't the complainant you heard about just incriminate himself?

This is one of the well known (for centuries) bad sides when you regulate/tax/ban something; it goes underground - a black market. Then other crime attaches. Guy should count himself lucky that he wasn't held up, only cheated.

Cops can laugh it off, but they should know better. The guy who bought the gun is obviously a crook. Now a crook has a gun and the seller has no where to turn lest he incriminate himself.

It was a stupid thing to do; the seller had nothing to lose financially or legally by going with a BGC, and everything to lose by not doing the BGC. The buyer OTOH could just plead ignorance of the law if it was a sting, which it most likely wouldn't be because stings would more likely go after the seller as it is an easier conviction.

I would think that the federal charge (felony) of passing counterfeit bills might be more serious than the state crime (demeanor) of failing to do a background check. If I was the buyer I might be tempted to proceed. Sounds like the cop was being lazy to me.

Should never leave home without one of these.
$4.79 at a Staples near you.

s0028902_sc7?$splssku$.jpg

s0028902_sc7?$splssku$.jpg

I only do deals with CHL holders as a start.
Thats the best way in my opinion to at least have some idea about the person.
I prefer trades for these reasons and try to pull those off first.

Oh yea and this is all hypothetical of course, cause I never buy sell or trade guns away from a FLL ever, honest :rolleyes:

The buyer OTOH could just plead ignorance of the law if it was a sting, which it most likely wouldn't be because stings would more likely go after the seller as it is an easier conviction.
I cant recall the letter of the law, isn't it written in a way the puts the burden of the background check on the seller? Or is it also actually illegal to be a buyer and not ask for a BGC?

one question: Why do we care if felons get guns?

Is it because a gun in the hands of a felon means death to an innocent person? Not that I am advocating allowing felons to own guns, but if these people are so dangerous...why are they out on the streets????

This is the question society should be asking

I would think that the federal charge (felony) of passing counterfeit bills might be more serious than the state crime (demeanor) of failing to do a background check. If I was the buyer I might be tempted to proceed. Sounds like the cop was being lazy to me.

Criminals do a lot of real stupid things, but copping to a even a misdemeanor count just to get your money back is probably not going to happen. I do not know the specific law but I think a conviction on that might put your CHL in jeopardy. The cops threat to arrest him was just that and probably more designed to get the idiot seller to go away.

The cop really has nothing to chase since the idiot did not get a plate number, and has no way to ID the guy. It sounds like the seller was marginal, and the buyer had the rip off planned and was pretty well convinced by his interview that he could get away with it.

Last Edited:
My understanding was that the first offense was a misdemeanor. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. The point being, if it was basically a slap on the wrist for me (some stupid unconstitutional BS state level charge) to be able to pursue someone who ripped me off on a federal level, there's just enough Cool Hand Luke inside me to take the hit if I had a phone number, description, and a plate number to go off of. If the seller didn't have any of that he probably deserved to lose the money.
Of course just as easily as the buyer could claim ignorance, so could I. There are lots of people I know who had never heard anything about 941.

Probably armslist.
I would just call the cops and say he stole my gun. He can meet up and showhim the gun and who's to say they weren't going to finalize it at the FFL.
Caller sounds like an idiot.

That's why I note the person's contact info, car info, plate number, and look at their ID. Not just to make sure they are a resident, but keep note of their address.

You F with someone in the gun community , the cops should be the least of your worries.

Also why it's a good idea to just follow the law. I personally wouldn't sell a firearm to someone I met online these days. Sooner or later the commie feds will be on here phishing.

Let's see....
-Guy is ignorant of gun laws
-Makes internet "date"
-To meet a total stranger
-In a parking lot
-In the dark
-Sells a gun illegally
-To a felon (counterfitter)

-Got only half the money
-But, didn't get robbed,
-Didn't get beaten,
-Didn't get arrested.
Sounds to me like he got off lucky....
...a half price Bachelor's Degree in Wake the Ef Up, from Whatsamatta U.

Yet after all his dumb luck, I'm left with the feeling that we haven't heard the last of this guy. He could still be enough of an idiot to decide he deserves to get full value and spend the funny money....
...then gets caught at 7-11 paying for his Slurpee with a fake $20.

Last Edited:
This sucks for the seller and i do think he should have just reported it stolen which in reality it was. And as far as ftf sales go i have always had a picture of buyer or seller showing up for the transaction even though they have a chl just because.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top