Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Overheard in a local pawn shop today

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jim97701, Feb 27, 2015.

1. jim97701

jim97701 Bend Well-Known Member

My wife and I stopped into a local pawn shop today to see what they had to offer. My wife was looking at the jewelry and I of course went over to see what they had in stock in their gun counter. While I was looking I overheard the lady behind the counter on the phone. She was appearently on the phone with the local police and explaining to them that she had an AR that she wanted them to come and confiscate because it had no serial number on the lower. She told them she had allready talked to the ATF and that it wasnt illegal as it was built by someone using an 80% lower. She then went on to say that she couldnt sell it as it was untraceable without a serial number and she just wanted it picked up and destroyed. Made me wonder how it came to be in their possession in the first place? When they buy or loan against a weapon dont they have to record and run serial numbers to make sure the weapon wasnt stolen? If the ATF said it wasnt illegal then could they have not sold it? or is that not possible because they are an FFL?. Any way, it was sad to think that a perfectly good rifle ended up in a scrap pile (or a local cops collection? LOL). And as for the jewelry and firearms, they were all price like or higher than new!.

2. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

You should have bought the upper.

3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Better yet, you should have brought back an electric pencil and scribbled a number on it, then bought it. ;)

Slobray likes this.
  4. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

I don't believe that you can transfer completed 80% lowers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you have to have a manufacturing license in order to transfer the firearm that you made from an 80% lower?

5. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

That is correct, It is possible to transfer a built 80% lower but it requires that the builder jump through some hoops with the ATF.

I dont think anyone but the builder can though. If they had it there are probably already some laws that have been broken as it should have never been transferred to their possession in the first place.

Unless something was really special about the lower I doubt it would ever be worthwhile, not in today's world where you can buy a forged lower for $60. The simple answer would be to destroy/hand over the lower and spend the 15 minutes it would take to transfer all the parts over to a factory built one, Bam! you turned an unsellable rifle into one anyone can buy for next to nothing.

notazombie likes this.
  6. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

went through this in CA, if you build an 80% into a useable receiver. Marked by you or not, it is still your property, to dispose of as you wish. The disposition of your property is up to you, and it generally falls under the same guidelines as an 03ffl (C&R license), you can sell it but it must not be a business. It must not be a continual regular practice of yours. IF the BATF can prove this you are in trouble. IF they can track the receiver back to you, you can be in trouble. It is an unmarked receiver, right? It is recommended by everyone that it be marked in some way, either with a number that has meaning to you, or, an arbitrary number.

Do a couple of searches on calguns, lots of folks there have a better understanding of the regulations than I do.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one in movies and on TV. The preceding are my opinions only and must not be construed as legal advice. Thank you.

7. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Ill echo that!
    Id buy every part but the lower and make her an offer. Some cash is better than none.

8. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Not worth messing with, as stated above! Scrap out the garage job lower, most likely unanodized for a decent one! For $60 back in business!

9. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

10. Truenorth

Truenorth Pacific Northwet Active Member

I would have offered to crush that POS lower in a vise right in front of her in exchange for the "spare parts".

Slobray, 3MTA3 and Caveman Jim like this.
  11. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Go back NOW and see what you can salvage. For the pawn shop some $$$ are better than none

Slobray and IronMonster like this.
  12. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Sounds like they bought it at a good price and then realized the error of theor ways and wanted it out of their hands before they got in trouble.

If they were any kind of gun people they would have parted it out and scrapped the lower.
    Probably make more money too

13. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Its also possible they ended up with it at the end of a pawn.

14. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

How would the pawn shop have handled any of the millions of firearms produced without a serial number by companies like Winchester. I have 3 Winchester 22's that do not have serial numbers on them they weren't required at the time and on some low end models they saved the money by not stamping them.

Model 67
    Model 121
    Model 131

etc. The pawnshop is being stupid.

John H likes this.
  15. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Its pretty well known around gun shops and pawn shops which old model .22's and shotguns didn't have serial numbers...And during BATF audits its no big deal...And I agree millions of them, are out there

As for AR-15 without a serial number? Do I want that logged into my bound book? I would not want to explain that one to the ATF. Not worth it really.

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  16. redmud

redmud Colombia river Active Member

I would have given her just enough info to get her to let me buy the upper and and all the lower parts if I show her how to remove them.
    They probably only had a couple hundred dollars invested any way.

clearconscience likes this.
  17. jim97701

jim97701 Bend Well-Known Member

I actually did try, asked if she wanted to sell some parts off of it and she said no they are on their way to pick it up!. Seemed like they were in a hurry to just have it be gone and done with?. I never saw the gun in question as it was in the back out of view. Sha actually seemed annoyed that I asked her so just left it alone.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  18. redmud

redmud Colombia river Active Member

Funny!!!she stood her uninformed ground. I would have jumped at the opportunity to get educated and recoup some of my money.

19. telero

telero Salem area, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Pre 68 GCA firearms or non NFA firearms legally made by an unlicensed person (neither of which are federally required to have a serial number) can still be transfered. Dealer should enter NSN or "no serial number" in their bound book. Simple as that.

IronMonster likes this.
  20. Hill

Hill pnw Member

That rifle should never have been taken in - both the maker and the shop could have faced federal charges.

Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms.

The allowable limit is one firearm for personal use. It can never be legally sold.