JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i shot my rifle at 400 yards to confirm my bdc reticle on my primary arms gen 3 1-6 scope. I have the elevation correct. But all my shots were to the left of the Target mostly on target, but to the left for sure. Would I adjust my turret in the Right (clockwise) direction or in the Left (counter clockwise) direction? I didn't have time to go back to 100 and I know it is just 1 click, I'm just not sure what direction. I think I am over thinking this and making it much more difficult than it needs to be. Lol thanks for the help.

If you want the poi to move right, adjust the turret right.
Okay, that's what I was thinking, I just didn't know if I needed to chase my POI or go opposite of my POI. As long as that's the general consensus I will make the adjustment. Idk why I was overthinking something so simple. Lol

Wind?

Were you holding the rifle level?

P

Of course!!

UpsideDownRifleShooting.jpg

If the rifle was shooting dead-on for windage at 100 yards, and at longer range (with little or no wind present) it is off for windage, then either the gun is not being held level, or the reticle is not vertical with the bore (or maybe some of both).

If you make the adjustment right now to be dead-on at 400, then go back and try a couple rounds at 100. You should see a corresponding error (to the opposite direction) to confirm.

Of course if you had even a 5mph wind, that is also a primary suspect in the drift.

While reticle-leveling gadgets are in great number and variety, they do not guarantee perfect alignment with the bore. They should be double-checked against other devices, and of course: shooting at known ranges with NO wind is the acid test.

If the rifle was shooting dead-on for windage at 100 yards, and at longer range (with little or no wind present) it is off for windage, then either the gun is not being held level, or the reticle is not vertical with the bore (or maybe some of both).

If you make the adjustment right now to be dead-on at 400, then go back and try a couple rounds at 100. You should see a corresponding error (to the opposite direction) to confirm.

Of course if you had even a 5mph wind, that is also a primary suspect in the drift.

Yes! I think people tend to forget that having the rifle LEVEL along with the optic is really important as the distances increase. Not saying the OP didn't, just agreeing here. I've seen SO MANY scopes mounted out of level and the owners were like "what's the big deal if it's a little off?".

Correct. Right means POI goes right. Left goes left. Up goes up, down goes down. Easy enough! :)
That makes sense. For whatever reason, just today, my mind couldn't comprehend that. Even though it says it on my scope. I think I was getting my windage on a scope confused with adjusting my irons confused. I remember something about one way is backwards and it always takes me a while to sight my irons in cause I never remember.

That makes sense. For whatever reason, just today, my mind couldn't comprehend that. Even though it says it on my scope. I think I was getting my windage on a scope confused with adjusting my irons confused. I remember something about one way is backwards and it always takes me a while to sight my irons in cause I never remember.

We all have off days brother. I read somewhere that 7-10 times a day our brain does a "reboot". It's when you just blank out and have to rethink even the easiest things. I once mounted a scope in a hurry and didn't realize until I was at the range that I mounted it 90 degrees in the wrong direction. So elevation was windage and windage was elevation. Yeah, I'll admit that here because I'm HUMAN!

:)

Yes! I think people tend to forget that having the rifle LEVEL along with the optic is really important as the distances increase. Not saying the OP didn't, just agreeing here. I've seen SO MANY scopes mounted out of level and the owners were like "what's the big deal if it's a little off?".
It is possible it's a hair off. I used the level app on my phone, checked the level on the bench my AR was on, checked the level on my AR, checked the level on my scope, tightened my scope, checked the level, and then finished tightening and rechecked the level. I really think it was just my scope was not sighted in properly at 100. I think I was a little to the left at 100 and called it good, because all my shots were in the box I was aiming at, just a hair to the left, then it grew once I got to 400.

It is possible it's a hair off. I used the level app on my phone, checked the level on the bench my AR was on, checked the level on my AR, checked the level on my scope, tightened my scope, checked the level, and then finished tightening and rechecked the level. I really think it was just my scope was not sighted in properly at 100. I think I was a little to the left at 100 and called it good, because all my shots were in the box I was aiming at, just a hair to the left, then it grew once I got to 400.

I use a few small levels to make sure 1. the rifle is level while the scope is loose in the rings. 2. another one to then adjust the scope to level by placing a level on the top cap and tightening the mount screws just enough to hold the scope in place. Then 3. while making sure the rifle is level, looking through the optic at things like a door jamb, siding on a house or even better the corner of a house and ensuring visually its money.

I do #3 laying prone on my garage floor and using the house across the street for reference. Before any of you freak out, the bolt/BCG is removed for safety.

A good thing to remember if you get frustrated with crawling up and peering down at the dial to see the "R"-"L" or "U"-"D" before making the adjustment, is that UNSCREWING the jar lid (which is the adjustment turret) takes your group to the right (on the windage knob).

Think: JAR LID: "Remove" is "Right". As to elevation, the same movement (counter clockwise, or Removing the jar lid) takes your group UP (the same direction the jar lid would go:Up.)

We all have off days brother. I read somewhere that 7-10 times a day our brain does a "reboot". It's when you just blank out and have to rethink even the easiest things. I once mounted a scope in a hurry and didn't realize until I was at the range that I mounted it 90 degrees in the wrong direction. So elevation was windage and windage was elevation. Yeah, I'll admit that here because I'm HUMAN!

:)

Prime example... I read that post and thought "90* left to right.... WTF HUH?!" Then like a hammer.... 90* radially.... duh! REBOOT!!

I blame this post for the spin-drift! ;)

Here's a good video about canting a rifle, but keeping the reticle level.

This video is not providing accurate information. Unfortunately, the error induced by canting cannot be seen in the presentation because the shooter is making windage adjustments and not providing precise enough of a test (hitting the target, rather than measuring distance between POA and POI under controlled conditions).

When you cant the rifle, as shown, you are putting the scope and barrel onto two separate vertical planes with some distance between them (let's say 0.5"). You then have a choice. You can (1) maintain the two separate planes and accept that the barrel will constantly shoot 0.5" right of the POA, or (2) you can carefully zero them using windage adjustment so the two planes intersect at the exact distance you're shooting. If you choose #1, you can shoot various distances and simply accept the error. If you choose #2, your rifle will only be accurate at the zero distance and will be increasingly inaccurate the further from that distance that you go (the two planes crossed at that distance and begin travelling away from each other further out). There are some other aspects of error induced, but these are the basic ones.

The method described in this video is at best demonstrating a modification you can make, if the you're willing to accept the error it induces. The presenter is wrong to state that the change "makes no difference."

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top