JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
guys. We cut the cable a few years back.
We have 1 TV set up to a cheaper antenna box, with a big antenna by the roof. Works great.
But is it possible to have all the TV's hooked up to ONE antenna, and have multiple TV's work at the same time?

Also. Any opinions on free TV, over the air, leaving?
Call me crazy, but I believe there will be a penalty tax for not having internet or paid TV subscription.

I would believe they would give free internet / cable tv before taxing for lack thereof. after all, they didn't tax for not having a cell phone, they gave them for free. :D

and I think if you added a splitter on the end of the antenna line you could hook up multiple sets.

I would believe they would give free internet / cable tv before taxing for lack thereof. after all, they didn't tax for not having a cell phone, they gave them for free. :D

and I think if you added a splitter on the end of the antenna line you could hook up multiple sets.
I've been reading. They say the more TV's you hook up, the weaker the signal becomes.

I've been reading. They say the more TV's you hook up, the weaker the signal becomes.

So here is the problem with boosting an antenna signal to multiple TV's.

As you amplify the signal you also amplify the noise. The SNR degrades and if too high the TV's won't be able to distinguish the good signal from the noise.

It's especially troubling with over the air antennas. Unclean signal to start means really bad signal when amplified.

The addition of a splitter decreases your signal 3.5-7db. 3.5db on a two way, 7db on a 4 way. Assume you had 10db to start, then figure you have 6.5db of loss per 100' of coax as RG-6 duo shield. Every tv is different. Some work down to -10, some don't want anything below 0.

Add to it the digital signal. At some point it's no longer a signal. We aren't in the analog days anymore.

Solution:
Antenna per TV to keep the setup simple.

I made a clothes hanger HD antenna a few years ago that still works great. No reason to buy one. google "clothes hanger antenna." There are several easy to follow instructions.

I had two TV's which we hardly ever used so I bought a couple of HD antennas from Amazon for about $16/each. I was able to stick them on the wall behind the TV's so you don't even see them. They pull in all the networks including subchannels as well as some other oddball stuff including the shopping channels. They'll pay for themselves after 6 months.

I run everything off a mac pro and only pay for the internet I would pay for anyway.

If it's on air or has aired, you can get it from the internet for free from those stations.

I run everything off a mac pro and only pay for the internet I would pay for anyway.

If it's on air or has aired, you can get it from the internet for free from those stations.
Sometimes.
If your internet service provider isn't listed as a service, like on my iPad, I'm not able to. ??

The answer to the question is yes if you use a switch not a splitter. So that the signal is only going to one TV at a time. Do a search on eBay for Heathkit Antenna Switch. I see them there often. Not cheap but very high quality.

Just try the splitter. It may work with nothing else to boost the signal.
Try it then worry about the rest if it doesn't work.

Just try the splitter. It may work with nothing else to boost the signal.
Try it then worry about the rest if it doesn't work.

They do make attenuators that plug in and amplify the signal, just remember every 3db boost is DOUBLING your signal strength.

Sometimes.
If your internet service provider isn't listed as a service, like on my iPad, I'm not able to. ??

Im not so sure about tablets, I run a full server and pipe that signal into the TV.

If you use your web broweser on your tablet, try checking out the stations website (CBS, ABC, FOX etc) and see what they offer - most will give you access to everything they have aired 24 hours later.

We have one big antenna on the roof for the main TV in the living room. The rest have Mohu Leaf antennas. Best combination I have found that really works.
We have a Mohu Leaf in the camp trailer for the little portable TV now too. Works well.

I just ordered a couple of HDTV antennas from Amazon myself. One of them was all of $6.40 the other around $40. I'm done paying $53. a month for satellite. If they don't work, I'll get a Mohu Leaf since it comes so well recommended here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top