JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
aah, ok. I know zip about hunting. So ground shooters are looked down upon by 'real' hunters? How strange. I would think it takes more skill to track, and sneak up and shoot an animal than it does to sit and wait for one to get close enough to shoot. Shows what i know....:s0114:

'ground shooters' walk around while hunting, as opposed to those who sit up in a tree and wait...

tac

'He is a very modest man, but then, he has much to be modest about.'

ground hunting is way harder, what are you talking about. you actually have to move through the woods and stalk quietly. Opposed to just sitting in a tree

I don't have much experience hunting, but I would imagine that this would be the case, and I see no correlation with this practice giving gun owners a bad name. Perhaps the geniuses that shoot other hunters, but not ground hunters as a general group.

I think the point against ground shooters is that most wildlife you'd be hunting has senses so much sharper that a humans that they hear you a lot farther away than you can hear or see them, typically. Black tail are a good example. A ground pounder could walk close enoug to a black tail deer to tap it on the nose with his rifle and not even know the thing is there. The issue is you are making things way too hard on yourself.

This is a common issue where people who do things the easy way typically look down on people who do things the hard way, after all, who would do it the hard way on purpose unless they were too ignorant to do it 'right'.

I don't have an opinion on who's doing it the right way, but if I wanted to put meat on the table I would find a likely choke point and sit and wait for something to wander by. Just like its easier to find your kids in the mall if you sit in one spot than if you try to wander around to find them. You just have to sit close to the toy stores.

-Brian

I think the point against ground shooters is that most wildlife you'd be hunting has senses so much sharper that a humans that they hear you a lot farther away than you can hear or see them, typically. Black tail are a good example. A ground pounder could walk close enoug to a black tail deer to tap it on the nose with his rifle and not even know the thing is there. The issue is you are making things way too hard on yourself.

This is a common issue where people who do things the easy way typically look down on people who do things the hard way, after all, who would do it the hard way on purpose unless they were too ignorant to do it 'right'.

I don't have an opinion on who's doing it the right way, but if I wanted to put meat on the table I would find a likely choke point and sit and wait for something to wander by. Just like its easier to find your kids in the mall if you sit in one spot than if you try to wander around to find them. You just have to sit close to the toy stores.

-Brian

..Sounds like bow hunters.
If people wanted to make hunting easier, they would use millions of flachettes dropped over an entire forest from C130s or something.

Well this didn't occur at a gun shop but at work (Intel).

I was talking about what pistol I wanted next with a guy I know who's an ex-cop from Louisiana. I'm talking to him about 9mm,40sw, 357sigs and he's telling me his experiences with 9mm. I laugh a little since this guy is actually shorter than I am (I'm 5'6") so I can't picture him with anything more than a 22LR. Then I start talking about my AR-15 and this beacon of eternal ignorance spews out that a 22LR and .223 rem are the same bullet. I laughed thinking this was in jest. Then I laugh again once the relization that this ex-cop is a complete moron hit me like a Mack truck. I try to explain that the casing, primer system, and bullets are completely different. He held his ground that the bullets were the same. He didn't even blink an eye when I said that 36-40g 22 LR bullets do not come in a FMJBT package. He asked me what that meant and I just walked away in disbelief. I then remembered that this is the guy that rides a Busa 1300 and can't touch the ground without sliding of his seat at every stoplight.

A badge isn't a sure sign of intelligence that's for sure, I have known plenty of LEO's who's IQs were lower than a potato chip. When reading about his height I couldn't help thinking about the dwarf in high plains drifter when he was getting a gun, gun store owner offers him a tiny little revolver but he picks a Colt .45 SAA with a 7 1/2" barrel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top