JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Exclusive: Outed Yonkers, N.Y. gun owner says ‘I feel like a sex offender’

When the Journal News in Westchester County, N.Y. published the names and addresses of gun permit holders in two counties recently, one of those citizens, Vincent R. Suppa of Yonkers, had a visceral reaction.

<broken link removed>

Its nobodies business but your own, what you own. Gun registration is an invasion of privacy. This kind of public shaming of the gun culture is the worst kind of bigotry condoned by the left leaning media. These same people would be all bent out of shape if a list was published based upon race, religion or sexual preference.

It's unfortunate that this act has caused a legit gun owner to feel that way. That was just exactly the purpose of the article, and if it succeeded, it is very sad.

I Openly Carry my weapon (except in really bad weather). I am proud to be a gun owner, and do not really care who knows.

But I also know NYS (my wife is from there), and the purpose of that article was to reinforce that concept that "guns are bad" and anyone that would own one is a bad person......it is too bad some have bought the concept hook line and sinker.

Had someone been able to print a list of homes with broken locks on the door, it would have been just as stupid. But it would not make those people like sexual offenders. Had they printed a list of gorgeous young women that live alone, it would not make those women like sex offenders.

Owning a gun is not something to be ashamed of. It is not something we should have to be embarrassed over. It does not in any way make us similar to sex offenders.

It did put those people, and others, in danger. It violated their privacy. It increased the information criminals have access to when choosing what to target. It was horrible.

It did not make anyone synonymous with sexual predators.

While the newspaper had the legal right to publish what is currently information available to the public, public and professional response has been split.

SPLIT? How about 80% against the newspaper's listing owners? Not a scientific number, just my take on it from reading the boards.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top