Outed NY gun owner: 'I feel like a sex offender'

Dave Workman

Reactions
Exclusive: Outed Yonkers, N.Y. gun owner says ‘I feel like a sex offender’

When the Journal News in Westchester County, N.Y. published the names and addresses of gun permit holders in two counties recently, one of those citizens, Vincent R. Suppa of Yonkers, had a visceral reaction.

<broken link removed>

Reactions
It's unfortunate that this act has caused a legit gun owner to feel that way. That was just exactly the purpose of the article, and if it succeeded, it is very sad.

I Openly Carry my weapon (except in really bad weather). I am proud to be a gun owner, and do not really care who knows.

But I also know NYS (my wife is from there), and the purpose of that article was to reinforce that concept that "guns are bad" and anyone that would own one is a bad person......it is too bad some have bought the concept hook line and sinker.

Reactions
Had someone been able to print a list of homes with broken locks on the door, it would have been just as stupid. But it would not make those people like sexual offenders. Had they printed a list of gorgeous young women that live alone, it would not make those women like sex offenders.

Owning a gun is not something to be ashamed of. It is not something we should have to be embarrassed over. It does not in any way make us similar to sex offenders.

It did put those people, and others, in danger. It violated their privacy. It increased the information criminals have access to when choosing what to target. It was horrible.

It did not make anyone synonymous with sexual predators.

Reactions
While the newspaper had the legal right to publish what is currently information available to the public, public and professional response has been split.
SPLIT? How about 80% against the newspaper's listing owners? Not a scientific number, just my take on it from reading the boards.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
DRRC .22 Rimfire Challenge Oct 10
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Oregon State Steel Challenge Championship
Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association
Millican, OR 97701, USA
Miller's Quarry Clean-Up
Miller's Quarry
Miller Rd, Mt Hood Village, OR 97067, USA
Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom)
Seattle, WA, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Good guys!
    I stop in here every once in a while to see what Michael has in the clearance section, and to ask questions when I have a project in mind...
Top Bottom