Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Outdoor Shooting spots near gresham/portland

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by pvtJR0b, Jun 20, 2014.

1. pvtJR0b

pvtJR0b New Member

Hello, I'm new to shooting and really would like to go this saturday the 21st. But i'm having a hard time finding where to go. I would really like to shoot at least 75 yards to really test my accuracy with my AR and Mosin. I am located in Gresham Oregon but don't mind an hour or so drive as long as i can make it there in my chevy pickup. If anyone can help me out id really appreciate it. I will deffinately clean up after myself and follow proper gun safety. thanks to anyone who reply's

2. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

I grew up in Gresham. Not a lot of areas real close unless you know people with land. Do a little searching on here and you might find a few. I didn't shoot a lot before I moved away, so I don't have anything off the top of my head right now.

But look into where they did the clean-up a few weeks ago, that is just across the border in WA, not too far. Larch Mountain area. Here is the thread.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/th...-may-31st-clean-up-n-shoot-washington.170201/

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

+1 ^^^

Not too bad of a drive, maybe an hour.

4. pvtJR0b

pvtJR0b New Member

Thanks for the reply's. I am wondering if anyone knows if you can still shoot on memaloose rd in estacada?

5. bakersman345

bakersman345 Camas wa Well-Known Member

Larch mountain is a good place to shoot I'm close to you In Vancouver. You should check it out. There is a gravel out with a nice backstop. But before you go up there you need a special pass to go to the state parks in Washington I don't remember the name something like adventure pass. Be safe and keep clean

6. WashCoDad

WashCoDad Beanerton Active Member

Giving out a shooting spot is like giving permission to date my daughter...
    Best of Luck.
    Why folks are afraid to get out in the woods and find their own place is beyond me!!

Mister Tribby likes this.
  7. thewhitebuffalo83

thewhitebuffalo83 Gresham/Boring Well-Known Member

I was a NWFA clean up party up there a month or two back and was still open to shooting then. I haven't heard any word sic ed then.

8. Architect

Architect Portland, OR Member

1. Many places that would appear to be great spots are actually poorly marked private property.
    2. If you don't know the area, you don't always know that you have a safe backstop.
    3. It's time consuming, expensive, and difficult to drive around a (minor) city like Portland, and try to find places to shoot.
    4. If you're a new shooter, it's intimidating when you don't necessarily know all of the rules and regulations for each specific piece of property.

I could go on, but I don't mind people posting and asking for tips on places to shoot. I'm a relatively new shooter, but luckily know someone with land where I can practice. Without that, I'd be much more wary of finding a place to shoot on my own by driving into "the woods" as you describe.

9. pvtJR0b

pvtJR0b New Member

Thank you all especially Architect. I went to memaloose rd in estacada up hwy 45 and had an amazing time. Friendly people, nice size area, was safe and so was everyone else. I would recommend this spot to anyone who doesn't mind it being a little dirty. I had a blast and cleaned up all my trash as well as a lot of others too. Cant wait to go again. Happy 4th of july everyone.

Architect likes this.