JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Forgive my ignorance...

I went shooting last week up in Sultan with some friends. We weren't in a "pit" and there were no "No Guns" signs anywhere we saw. Although we did see certain areas that had them, so we assumed that if we were in a spot not posted as such, it was okay? I didn't drive, so I don't know exactly where we were as I'm not from that area either. It was in an area with a lot of cut down trees and looked like a bomb had gone off and leveled the place. There were tons of shotgun shells and other casings everywhere and clearly the spot had been used for shooting many times. Along the drive, looking for a private spot, we saw many vehicles parked in their own private spots which I can only assume they were shooters as well. However we didn't hear any other gunshots the whole day -- maybe we were just that spaced apart and with the trees and all they could buffer the sound?

So my question is, was this a "legal" spot? or is ALL of Sultan off limits now?

Related, I was telling another friend of mine how much fun we had (and of course we took out more trash than we brought in, including our brass and targets of course), and he informed me to be careful because if a cop had come by, he could legally confiscate ALL of our weapons and related that were on our persons and in our vehicles and we'd never get them back -- that's the reason he said he doesn't shoot in Sultan for the past year or so. Is this true?

I would think the most they could do would be to ticket/fine us and send us on our way. Confiscate though? That seems extreme.

Can some of you wiser gents shed some truth or fiction to this?

Some more detail to Daevid's inquiry.

We actually drove through and maybe past Sultan on Hwy 2, made a left on a road (can't remember the name) heading north, drove about 10 miles through what appears to be an old logging road. Where we were shooting was not exactly a pit. It was more of a clearing of some sort. There was a gravel road that lead to the clearing, but there were 3 deep trenches dug into the road keep cars out. Once you go 100 meters past the trenches, there's a flat gravel area where we set up tables and target stands. There is a hill side that made a great back stop 200 meter past the flat area.

So I'm curious as well. As far as I know, we were on DNR land, not within city limits, and not discharging within 500 feet near a camp site, so I presume discharging a firearm would not be illegal. If anything we would be in trouble for trespassing.

Can anyone with insight fill us in on the facts? I guess for now since we have questions and concerns, until they are addressed, we won't go back. :(

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top