JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have searched and haven't found a suitable area to shoot outdoors yet here in the SW Washington area that isn't an hour and a half away. I am doing some load development and testing for my AR pistol and rifle. English Pit is out since they wont let me shoot the AR pistol. I do clean up after myself and then some. I always bring trash bags to help out clean up shooting area so they stay open to the public.

Any inputs and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Hi Vertical,

I seem to always default to Larch Mntn, just NE of Washougal. (Fairly close for me). It's State land and managed by WA. Dept of Nat. Resources.

I've heard of places around Yacolt (the Yacolt Burn area), but haven't been there to shoot yet. Either locations are not too far from you.

On Larch, there are many places along the roadway to shoot. A bit of a mess, but, some of us are working on that each time we go out.

My son and I will be going out within a couple of weeks and would be happy to meet and show you the route. (Just started reloading for 270 and about ready to try out a box or two).

Bill

Yeah, Ghost, Free to shoot.

It's forest service land, so, you show up, pick a spot, and practice away. You'll easily see where others have been shooting, but also, look out for any no shooting signs. B Y O T (bring your own targets) and C U Y O T (clean up your own trash), and your good to go. Of coarse, you'll need to measure off the distance to place each target, but, when it's free, well, .......

Have fun with that 40cal!

Bill

Thanks for the quick reply. back in TX we plinker a lot...I like the atmosphere better than at a range. More relaxed and I have wanted to take my son out and teach him to shoot. So far it's just been BB/pellet in the backyard and he's done well and i've been thinking it's almost time to for an upgrade.

Hi Vertical,

I seem to always default to Larch Mntn, just NE of Washougal. (Fairly close for me). It's State land and managed by WA. Dept of Nat. Resources.

I've heard of places around Yacolt (the Yacolt Burn area), but haven't been there to shoot yet. Either locations are not too far from you.

On Larch, there are many places along the roadway to shoot. A bit of a mess, but, some of us are working on that each time we go out.

My son and I will be going out within a couple of weeks and would be happy to meet and show you the route. (Just started reloading for 270 and about ready to try out a box or two).

Bill

Thank you very much, I might take you up on that offer. I used to go to the shooting areas at Gifford and had cleaned up a few sites that I have seen people shoot at. The camp host at one of the camp grounds even let me use their trash bin to get rid of the trash I picked up.

Hey Cogs~

in reference to reloading: this is something that I am very interested in learning. I have a 12ga and a .40 cal
where is a good place to learn/get the essential equipment?

Hey Cogs~

in reference to reloading: this is something that I am very interested in learning. I have a 12ga and a .40 cal
where is a good place to learn/get the essential equipment?
Reloading is actually pretty simple. You just have to be safe and make sure you don't hot load one by accident. 12 Gauge will be a little different as your working with shot pellets instead of bullets and therefore the equipment is different. In a nutshell.

1: For used brass, punch out the old primer and clean everything. Then measure the brass to be sure it's within limits.
2: Press the primer in.
3: Load the powder.
4: Seat and crimp the bullet.

That's the simple rundown. You will also need a good book or resource to determine the proper load of powder for the chosen bullet. Nothing super complicated though. Depending on where you are I think the Oathkeepers here in Vancouver are planning to teach the basics to their members. If I can wrangle it to get the equipment again (Sold all of mine a few years ago) then I would be happy to show someone some time.

Thanks for covering for me on the reloading question, GunRights.

I don't have enough experience to answer that. Just learning myself. I got lucky that 2 brothers gave me the stuff I need to get started (RCBS Jr press, Dies for my 270, bullets, primers, & books). Now I just need a weigh scale and hoping to find a pound of IMR 4350 powder.

Bill

if someone is going to teach this I'd love to attend! I checked out a book from the library for reloading my shotgun. it's been a fun read, but nothing beats learning it hands on!

if someone is going to teach this I'd love to attend! I checked out a book from the library for reloading my shotgun. it's been a fun read, but nothing beats learning it hands on!

Give me a day or two to do some checking. I'm pretty busy as I'm leading two national groups so sometimes stuff slips through the cracks even though I have the greatest of intentions. For me this involves two phone calls and I think we may be able to get it in place. At least for anyone close to Vancouver anyway.

But there's too many wackos at Larch Mtn. Safety First!

Wackos? You mean "Inmates"? Yup, there's Inmates.

First time I went there, my son and I went way up to the gravel pit. Parked there was a large truck, (kind of like a bus), and a few people around it. We didn't think anything but just a few volunteers doing some trail work. So, we got out of the truck, pulled out our rifles, turned around and there was a guy standing in my face. He said "I'd like you to put your guns back in the truck, please. This is a 'work crew'." I looked over at the bus and the people around. One guy was staring down my son with a mean look on his face. Another guy was also mean looking and was flexing his muscles at us. Officers did not have uniforms and no guns showing. Inmates did not have uniforms (only work type coveralls). I glanced up the road to the corner and saw another pickup truck with a guy inside watching. Then it dawned on me... 'Oh, geez, this is an inmate work crew'! I said, "Oh, sure, no problem." We waited till they loaded up and drove off. My son, who was 13 at the time, was kind of freaked out over the way those guys were staring him down.

I've been there several time each year for the past 3 years and have never encountered any other kind of 'wacko's'. I hope that's not a real concern, however, I have a gun and know how to use it!

Bill

Have been up to Larch one time for shooting and it was not a problem at all. I think it was almost 20 years ago but I was there:rolleyes:

Now years later went up all the time to run the trails and yes there are a few people but most were teens drinking and partying the night or day away.... Ran my jeep up there almost twice a month as it was a fun time

Will have to head up there now just to check it out and see what it is like as I have not been up there since 09 I think. I know there were a few places to shoot but never did stop at the time.

Can someone give an idea where the gravel pit on Larch Mountain is located. I drove up there a few weeks ago and all I found were tons and tons of no shooting signs. Every place I saw I could park my truck had a no shooting sign. I went to the very top where the paved road ends and sure enough found more no shooting signs.
thanks...

Can someone give an idea where the gravel pit on Larch Mountain is located. I drove up there a few weeks ago and all I found were tons and tons of no shooting signs. Every place I saw I could park my truck had a no shooting sign. I went to the very top where the paved road ends and sure enough found more no shooting signs.
thanks...

You were almost there.

Go up the gravel road about a mile or two and there is a gravel parking lot that used to be a pit that has some back stop to it still.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top