JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hi all... I'm new to this forum:

I'm sure this question has been asked again and again and I've searched a bit... I've seen other posts but most responses are via PM (which works for me)
I'm planning on doing some shooting this spring/summer and would love to know of a few good areas to go shooting (public land).

I know there is a lot of land out hwy 26 and 6 but I don't know what is private, public, leased, etc... I'd hate to be shooting somewhere I'm not supposed to. Ideally, I'd like a spot good for pistols (50 yds max) and rifles (out to 200 yards... for now). Close to Aloha would be great... but I am willing to drive a bit for a great spot. Maybe there's a spot a few responsible members here use

We have so much land around, there has to be a great spot. I'm aware of Browns camp, but this is NOT a place I am comfortable with... far too many knuckle heads!

Happy shooting :s0155:

I tried around Hagg Lake, but its been about a year, I went up there a few months ago and there were about 100 No Trespassing signs, with fines listed. There's a bunch of spots just west of the tunnel on the way to the coast, I think the road is called Wolf Creek be prepared for Tillamook Police to roll up on you.

You could try salmonberry road off hwy 26 heading to the coast i shoot there quite often, lots of trash though so try to pick up whatever targets you take with you, theres also a couple of spots near vernonia if you feel like driving that far out

In for a knuckle head free spot west of Portland.
I used to have a great spot north of 26 off the Mountaindale exit but the loggers gated it off years ago, thinking I should do a recon to see if that is still the case.

Browns Camp is not bad as long as you get there early. By early i mean leaving the house before 07:00. I can usually get in an hour or two of shooting by myself before others start showing up. And the ones that do show up that early have the same goal as i do, to get some range time in before the place gets crowded.

Lefty.

Went to Browns Camp 2 weekends ago. Nutzville. I'm looking to find a group of people (yes I realize I'm the minority here in being female) that want to go out shooting. There are too many psychos for a single mom. Hoping to find a 'family' group that goes out around Aloha, Forest Grove area. Or further west. Usually do pistols, but also have 22's.

Sounds like a lot of folks with the same goal... I was hoping there was some pulic land near the Aloha area that was open enough (and outside the UGB). I've tried searching google for maps with no luck. I'm not afraid to scope around... it's just hard to really "know" if an area is public or private. With gas prices driving to Vernonia would only be in the cards if I'm unable to find something else.

I'll keep looking and I hope folks keep posting... We're bound to find something that a group of responsible shooters can use and keep clean.

Browns Camp is not bad as long as you get there early. By early i mean leaving the house before 07:00. I can usually get in an hour or two of shooting by myself before others start showing up. And the ones that do show up that early have the same goal as i do, to get some range time in before the place gets crowded.

Lefty.

It's actually not so bad late in the afternoon. I work swing shift, so waking up before noon isn't really in the cards, but if I show up around 4-5pm, the crowd is dying down, and I can still get plenty of shooting in. It's light enough that we can still run the chronograph, and cycle some rounds of new loads to ensure that they work in the guns we want them to. Once people leave, we have had hours of time to ourselves to target shoot, pick up brass, and once the sun sets, we blow off a few tracers that we loaded.

This goes especially for Sunday nights.

It's actually not so bad late in the afternoon. I work swing shift, so waking up before noon isn't really in the cards, but if I show up around 4-5pm, the crowd is dying down, and I can still get plenty of shooting in. It's light enough that we can still run the chronograph, and cycle some rounds of new loads to ensure that they work in the guns we want them to. Once people leave, we have had hours of time to ourselves to target shoot, pick up brass, and once the sun sets, we blow off a few tracers that we loaded.

This goes especially for Sunday nights.

Good to know, with the sun setting later and later as summer approaches, i should be able to get a few rounds off after work.

Lefty.

Sounds like a lot of folks with the same goal... I was hoping there was some pulic land near the Aloha area that was open enough (and outside the UGB). I've tried searching google for maps with no luck. I'm not afraid to scope around... it's just hard to really "know" if an area is public or private. With gas prices driving to Vernonia would only be in the cards if I'm unable to find something else.

I'll keep looking and I hope folks keep posting... We're bound to find something that a group of responsible shooters can use and keep clean.

Nothing near Aloha - that's all private farmland. You have to drive out into the Coast Range and Tilamook State Forest for the closest spot to the PDX West side.

Plenty of decent spots for handguns and short range plinking. 200 yards, though? That's more of a problem - and one I'm trying to solve myself, too.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads