JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All WhoreHauser land.
All gated.

Got any buddies that work for Whorehauser?

Cowlitz Landfill would be ideal. Lots of Rats for target practice.
I doubt they allow any shooting up there unless you're an employee.

Lone Oak Rifle and Pistol, Longview, WA Shot there many times nice friendly people.
Clatskanie Rifle and Pistol

Get a discover pass ($30) and you can go up mill creek where they have been logging and there are a couple of places to shoot. The small rock quarry is good for 50 yards. The upper areas are good for up to 300 maybe a little further. Talk to the guys at gators guns and they will tell you of a spot in castle rock off of some logging roads. If you go to Clatskanie, up Clatskanie heights there is a big clear cut that is growing back fast but you can get anywhere from 100 to 900. Even 1k yards if you don't mind shooting off the road across the clear cut. Haven't been there in a while so idk if that's been gated off.

I find it just easier and safer to use a range. I shoot at the Rainier rod and gun club for $25 a year. I have seen all the garbage left on Weyerhaeuser land left by shooters over the years. Garbage left,, logging equipment shot up etc.. I don't blame them for closing down shooting areas.

Gun clubs have rules.. if you don't like gun club rules then I'm happy those people don't join!

Get a discover pass ($30) and you can go up mill creek where they have been logging and there are a couple of places to shoot. The small rock quarry is good for 50 yards. The upper areas are good for up to 300 maybe a little further. Talk to the guys at gators guns and they will tell you of a spot in castle rock off of some logging roads. If you go to Clatskanie, up Clatskanie heights there is a big clear cut that is growing back fast but you can get anywhere from 100 to 900. Even 1k yards if you don't mind shooting off the road across the clear cut. Haven't been there in a while so idk if that's been gated off.
Used to go up there and hit up the pit that was off the the left not too far after the pavement ends. But that has been trenched and burmed for a few years now, and even after a recent scout, haven't found a good place up there yet. Would appreciate any leads you have in the area.

To the south of you, the Cowlitz County shooting range in Castle Rock. [Closed right now because of Gov. Inslee].

Your best bet is the Clatskanie Rifle and Pistol Club; they have two 'free' weekends per month you can go and just shoot. Nice facilities, friendly folks, AND and indoor range if you're a member (nudge, nudge).

Thanks for the suggestions. I watched with anticipation as the Cowlitz range was being built, then got put off with the fees; basic range fee, per gun fee, enviromental impact fee...I think I was up to 25 or 30 bucks for my son and I to walk through the door. Then the hours seem restrictive, short days, work around LEO block times and private parties, plus Monday is my day off and the are closed. I may check it out after the lockdown though.
Clatskanie too, looked at it, never been there.
I am a member at Rainier Rod and Gun Club, $25 per year. Nice range but small, can get crowded in a hurry, and no RSO on duty, which can be a plus or minus.
So a formal range is sometimes nice, but sometimes you just want to go out in the woods and do you own thing at your own pace without a whole lot of company and do some plinking. That's what I am currently looking for.

To the south of you, the Cowlitz County shooting range in Castle Rock. [Closed right now because of Gov. Inslee].

They don't actually want shooters at that range. They just want there buddies. I can't find a single person I know who has had a good experience there.

Plenty of other options

I am a member of Rainier Rod and Gun club too. Very laid back range with some recent upgrades. Yes, it is small, but I personally have never been there when it is 'busy'. Usually me and my guest, and one or two more people there at most.

For $25 a year, you can't beat it. I make the drive from Hillsboro......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

They don't actually want shooters at that range. They just want there buddies. I can't find a single person I know who has had a good experience there.

Plenty of other options
Well, that was kind of my impression. I haven't heard a lot of good things either, but I'll check it out and determine for myself.

Not seeing the plenty of other options. Weyerhoser realized that the courts were securely anchored in their back pocket and locked up all their forests, effectively eliminating most of the forests in the area (allowing folks to hunt/recreate on their extensive plots of tree farms was one of the reasons they had big tax breaks in the first place, so we see how that is playing out...). State is playing games with the DNR land, taking serious measures to block access to the few shooting pits, nothing but a poke in the eye from them. That leaves National Forest, not very convenient. I estimate about 2 hours of driving to get to the closest shooting areas in the NF.

Lone Oak Rifle and Pistol Club is a member range. It only has 450 members. If you go to Gators Guns in Longview after Jan, 1 they csn.put you on a wait list. On Feb 1. they will start with the first name on the list and work the way down until all open spots are filled. The number of open spots each year is determined by the number of current members that do not renew membership by Jan 31.
.it's only open to the public for certain shooting events. Go to their web site for more information.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top