JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^Hence the stretch of 1639 to include the 'semi automatic' prefix in the definition.

But it does give a credible source to counter some of the typical arguments...not that 99% of them care, let alone are actually knowledgeable enough to know the difference...their blissful feelings usurp rights.

Boss

Assault Rifles exist and have had an official definition for decades and various experts in firearms have used the same definition
Assault Weapons are a politically contrived terminology, but unfortunately exist in some laws, often with conflicting definitions.
That is true... all of it. And, unfortunately, arguing w the numbnutz who insist on using the term "Assault Weapons" that it has no defined meaning is pointless because they make this sh*t up as they go along and "define" it any way they please:
Semi Auto
Pistol grip
Bayonet lug(!)
Barrel shroud
Shoulder-thing that goes up
Flash suppressor
Telescoping stock

They won't (dont) concern themselves with minutiae like:
Cyclic rate of fire
Sustained rate of fire
Caliber
Efficacy
Common use
SCOTUS rulings
Real world (legal) usage
They only know virtue signaling, photo ops, sound bites, and pandering.

From what I'm hearing, an "AWB II" is two kinds of Pretty for the politicos... Pretty attractive, and Pretty unlikely to get passed/signed by POTUS. I'll add that any R "yay" vote makes it also Pretty likely that they will be back in the private sector, seeking employment come the next election cycle.

Circumventing the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 10th, and 14th Amendments with "Red Flag" laws is the real challenge today, IMO. I'm sure the ACLU is preparing now...
*crickets*

2nd, after UBC will come a midnight caucus to repeal whatever federal statute(s) prevent creating a national firearms registry. Then, of course, comes national firearms registration. It will start w only "particularly dangerous" weapons (as defined by "them").

They are good with the long game.

ETA: Dont think for a minute that the posturing retards on TV that wouldn't know an AK47 from a WASR10 are the ones writing the bills/laws they propose and/or sponsor. They can (and usually are) dumb as a rock when it comes to the actual law. I've trolled Everytown and MDA's pages and read those cackling hens' comments about how we should not let rapists have machine guns delivered to their front doors or about CCers shooting up every place they go to. Just like any other fringe-y site they let it go, content to let their followers indulge in their ignorance and get spun-up... hey, it might result in some "likes" or a few bucks coming their way.
The B-berg people KNOW the law but count on the rubes to keep interest and $$ moving through the organization. That gets funneled into the pols who spout nonsense... but then have "underlings" (trained law professionals) writ legislation for them. There are no "loopholes".

Last Edited:
If they left out 'assault,' semiautomatic rifle would be technically correct, perhaps with 'rimfire' or 'centerfire' included.

But that doesn't sound nearly 'evil' enough, does it? Gotta have the 'scary' sounding 'enhancers' in there...otherwise, how will people know they're the spawn of the devil himself?:rolleyes:

But lets no go clouding the issues with facts, otherwise, you'd start bringing up things like knives cause about 4X more deaths annually than rifles, which doesn't fit THEIR narrative...:confused:

Boss

Well... wasn't the first "assault rifle" the Stg44? Meaning Sturmgewehr, meaning "storm rifle". Maybe the more appropriate word would be assault rifle in a sense of "storming" or "charging" an enemy? Ak and Ar came from that too. I'm really not fond of the term "assault rifle" because that normaly is select fire. How it come that you can buy (with proper licensing and so on) semi auto ARs and AKs for sports shooting in Germany too but full auto weapons fall under a "weapons of war law" and are not accessible because no sporting purpose. Semi auto Ak and ARs are just that,semi auto rifles like any others too. They aren't "assault rifles" or weapons of war (that definition would be met more if they had full auto)

Semi-auto is the new evil. That is what most ban legislation is targeting these days. The antis have gotten better at defining features which usually results in targeting every semi-auto that exist or will exist.

You got to realize all of these idiots dont know there terminology to save there a$$. Just like walmart saying they are going to stop selling sbr ammo. When most people own ar pistols bc of the required tax stamp. There miss leeding verbiage is they assault weapon here. Just remember You cant fix stupid here. You cant educate people who dont wanna learn.

An assault rifle must meet the following 4 criteria:
1)Detachable magazine fed. (so not a belt fed firearm, like a medium machine gun)
2) Shoulder fired. ie a rifle…(well, that's pretty obvious in hindsight)
3) Select fire (shooter can choose between semi-auto and burst/auto fire.) If a firearm is incapable of burst/full-auto, it's not an assault rifle. If it's only capable of full auto/burst fire, it's not an assault rifle either.
4) Intermediate calibre (Between a full power round like a battle rifle and a pistol round) So even something like a select fire FN FAL doesn't count, because the rounds it's firing are too darn big.
Tools of all sorts, including firearms, have specific categories. A jackhammer has a similar shaped end to it as a flat bladed screwdriver, but they're not the same thing. Think of it this way. You can use a butter knife to unscrew something, but it doesn't then define it as a screwdriver.
An assault rifle is a sub-set of all rifles. Rifles are largely defined by the firing action, the calibre, and size.
An assault rifle is not a machine gun. It's a rifle.
It's also not a sub-machinegun. An SMG is an automatic, shoulder fired firearm that fires pistol calibre rounds. It's historically close to an assault rifle, and their limitations (predominately in range) drove both the Germans and the Soviets to come up with successful assault rifle designs.
It's not a battle rifle. A battle rifle fires full-power rounds, such as .303, 7.62x 51 NATO, etc. These rifles have greater recoil, and can fire round much further, and with more power than an assault rifle. Further than is needed in 99% of fights. That 1% is coming back to bite in Afghanistan at the moment, where big open areas are leading to engagement ranges further than an assault rifle can properly engage. (The Soviets, armed with AKM's and AK-74's had the same problem in the early 1980's as they were shot at with old Lee-Enfield bolt-action rifles.)
Assault rifles are not defined by their looks, or their colours, or their size. The size of the magazine isn't part of the definition either.

You got to realize all of these idiots dont know there terminology to save there a$$. Just like walmart saying they are going to stop selling sbr ammo. When most people own ar pistols bc of the required tax stamp. There miss leeding verbiage is they assault weapon here. Just remember You cant fix stupid here. You cant educate people who dont wanna learn.
I believe that sbr langauge in Walmarts statement was intentionally used for some PR reason. I have asked numerous Walmart employees if they know which rifle ammo they are going to stop selling and none of them have seen a list yet. I was told by one Walmart employee that they won't be receiving anymore "handgun" ammo unless it was already on route by Sept. 2nd. Who knows what the real story will be.

Edit: It looks like in addition to 5.56 and 223 that 300BO, 7.62x39 and 224 Valkyrie are on Walmarts ban list.

walmart-gunpolicy-new-final_1567609580.png

Last Edited:
I believe that sbr langauge in Walmarts statement was intentionally used for some PR reason. I have asked numerous Walmart employees if they know which rifle ammo they are going to stop selling and none of them have seen a list yet. I was told by one Walmart employee that they won't be receiving anymore "handgun" ammo unless it was already on route by Sept. 2nd. Who knows what the real story will be.

Edit: It looks like in addition to 5.56 and 223 that 300BO, 7.62x39 and 224 Valkyrie are on Walmarts ban list.

View attachment 616524
I wonder if they will discontinue selling rifles in 223 caliber? No mention of rimfire ammo which is commonly used in handguns and can be loaded in "high cap magazines"

Amendment II
Right to bear arms
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status a status of independence from ant who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
George Washington

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads