JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi I was up at memaloose this morning shooting and I found that at times I was shooting left or right which my trajectory might cross teh path of the persons sight next to me - basically our bullets might criss cross if we shot at the same time. I didn't think of it at the time, but now I am wondering if that was the wrong thing to do.

seems like common sense would say thats a big no no, but thought I would ask you guys since it may be an accepted practice.

Don't cross the streams... It would be bad... Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Wait, sorry, was thinking proton packs.
You're fine, as long as no one's being covered by a muzzle at any time not an issue. Mid-air bullet collision while target shooting sounds like very slim odds

I think it would be fine too, as long as you are not shooting at the SAME target or towards the road way.

A mid-air bullet collision would be kind of COOL I think. Never gonna happen though.

Its pretty common where I shoot and although we try to avoid it no one worries about it too much. The only time it really becomes an issue is if guys are shooting at targets that are at 25 to 50 yards and end up skipping rounds across the rang into your target stand set up at 100 yards. I recently had to doctor up one of my steel stands after my buddy skipped a .40 across the range into it. :( No blood no foul amongst friends.

One thing I have found is I try to at the very least be friendly and polite to everyone I am shooting around. (No matter how big a Douchebag they might be) It just makes for a much more friendly and relax atmosphere. Since we are all holding loaded guns you know :)

Don't cross the streams… It would be bad… Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

odds

who you gonna call??? and to make matters worse my car has a flux capacitor so I knew the end of the world was going to happen or I was going back in time.

thanks guys - just checkin to make sure its all good.

Its pretty common where I shoot and although we try to avoid it no one worries about it too much. The only time it really becomes an issue is if guys are shooting at targets that are at 25 to 50 yards and end up skipping rounds across the rang into your target stand set up at 100 yards. I recently had to doctor up one of my steel stands after my buddy skipped a .40 across the range into it. :( No blood no foul amongst friends.

One thing I have found is I try to at the very least be friendly and polite to everyone I am shooting around. (No matter how big a Douchebag they might be) It just makes for a much more friendly and relax atmosphere. Since we are all holding loaded guns you know :)

so funny I was going to have you explain what bubblegum bag is but as I quote you I see what you really wrote.

for those of you wondering too.

Doo Sh Bag.

BTW you nailed it - its cross fire not the other fancy bubblegum i wrote.

The biggest thing to remember at out gravel pit ranges is to clean up after yourself, i for one am pretty darn sick of having to pick up garbage bags full of expended shotshells and splintered plasteic bottles, glass , and other crud people bring up and dont take the time to pick up after they are done.......Just my personal rant!

The biggest thing to remember at out gravel pit ranges is to clean up after yourself, i for one am pretty darn sick of having to pick up garbage bags full of expended shotshells and splintered plasteic bottles, glass , and other crud people bring up and dont take the time to pick up after they are done.......Just my personal rant!

seriously? Is that the biggest thing to remember. I am taking about safety and etiquette

BTW if you look at the Memaloose clean up photos you will see me there. Were you there?

May I add TV's, Computers, a wash machine, Bricks,Tile, sheetrock, full gallon paint cans, chairs, Doors, and poor helpless stuffed Teddy Bears. Oh yes, and a Car. Okay not on the Range but stolen and left next to the Range long enough to get riddled.

Hi I was up at memaloose this morning shooting and I found that at times I was shooting left or right which my trajectory might cross teh path of the persons sight next to me - basically our bullets might criss cross if we shot at the same time. I didn't think of it at the time, but now I am wondering if that was the wrong thing to do.

seems like common sense would say thats a big no no, but thought I would ask you guys since it may be an accepted practice.

i think thats only a problem if your fishing

If your really talking safety. Its a poor idea to be shooting into a gravel pit ( the idea being you shouldnot be shooting at rock) I try and go up to dead end roads where we can find an earth backstop. We can almost always find longer range than a pit....we clean up after ourselves and hardly ever have any one joining us.

If your really talking safety. Its a poor idea to be shooting into a gravel pit ( the idea being you shouldnot be shooting at rock) I try and go up to dead end roads where we can find an earth backstop. We can almost always find longer range than a pit....we clean up after ourselves and hardly ever have any one joining us.

yup I have thought of that many times

is this one gonna come back at me?

I hear ya.

I hit the sticks for my longer range shooting (200-500 yards) The safety issue with shooting from or near dirt roads is the amount of recreational traffic that randomly crosses it. A few months back I set out several miles above Stevenson to shoot some balloons at 400 yards in an area that is usually pretty dead. After getting set up I waited almost 20 minutes for a party of ATV riders to pass by and then before I could get off a shot the Griswold Family showed up to do some mountain biking. They parked within 50 yards of my targets. None of these people even knew I was there until I finally decided it wasn't safe to shoot and drove out.

Note this is off the beaten path in a place that pretty much requires you have 4 wheel drive to get into :confused:

I often go shooting at Memaloose....the most frustrating thing is people going up there with no etiquette and safety. Last time we were posted up at the far left side of the pit and a father with his two sons tried to cram in at the end and start plinking tin cans on the small ridge next to us. While we were throwing clays, one veered off to our left & if it weren't for the shooters poise, one of this man's sons would have gotten shot because he was down range without telling anyone what the **** they were doing.

Other times I have been up to the pit and met some fantastic folks, with great guns & knowledge. The sad fact is that spot is pretty tore up with left over brass & shells, so just remember to clean up after yourself as much as you can!

Your quote line is quite offensive. I know Chuck personally and he would be disapointed to read this on a forum such as this. We are better than this folks. Greydog.
Sorry greydog the last thing I would ever want to do on this Forum is offend you or disappoint Chuck Norris. I admit my choice of humor may have been in poor taste so please apologize to both Chuck and your sister for me.

A mid-air bullet collision would be kind of COOL I think. Never gonna happen though.

I dunno... I seem to recall seeing a picture of someone having recovered a French bullet and Russian bullet that collided into one another mid-air in the 1850's.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top