JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I did some searching and couldn't find an answer to my specific question. If I missed an answer to this I apologize.

What is the process and paperwork needed for purchasing a handgun in WA from a private party if you are an OR resident? I would have the transfer done at a WA FFL.

Two methods:

1) The person in WA can ship the handgun to an FFL in Oregon where you take possession of it.

2) The person in WA can bring it to an FFL in Oregon where you take possession of it.

Both require that the transfer to an Oregon resident take place at an Oregon FFL.

This is specific to handguns. Long guns you can go up to WA and do the transfer via a WA state FFL, or the seller can bring/ship it to Oregon and do the transfer via an OR state FFL.

I would also point out that any transfer of ownership done outside of your state of residences requires that the transfer be done via an FFL. This is regardless of the state - it is federal law. You can buy long guns in any state as long as it is legal to buy it there and to buy it in your state of residence.

Handguns are even more restrictive - the seller must either ship or otherwise transport the handgun to an FFL in your state of residence. Again, irrespective of the states - this is federal law.

Thank you for the explanation. That was very clear and concise.

I assume the seller, who will be shipping the gun, will want to include in their shipment a copy of the FFL and some form of bill of sale for the buyer.

Thank you for the explanation. That was very clear and concise.

I assume the seller, who will be shipping the gun, will want to include in their shipment a copy of the FFL and some form of bill of sale for the buyer.
Not sure your wording is correct.
The seller must ship or transport the gun TO THE FFL.
No need for any copy of any FFL as the FFL you pick the seller to bring it to,has a copy of his own license.
BOS is all up to you and the seller as far as I know
Now if the seller,say a gun broker guy,is shipping the gun from some other state,you must make sure YOUR FFL will except guns from non FFLS. Or he needs an FFL to ship it
Confused yet:confused:?

Nope, not confused. I was just thinking having a copy of the FFL in the shipment would be a good idea, along with a copy of the shipping label...just in case.

I'll check with my FFL on his accepting shipments from non-FFL's.

Just to clarify, I think I know the answer to this, but want to check. I have the reverse situation of the OP.

I am an Oregon-licensed resident and want to transfer a handgun to a buyer in WA state. I can take the gun to a WA FFL and have the transfer completed that way, right? Have heard some conflicting things from local gun shops. My understanding of it is that since it is lawful to ship (by private carrier) a handgun to an out of state FFL, it would be no different than physically taking the gun in person to an FFL in the buyer's state.

Last Edited:
Just to clarify, I think I know the answer to this, but want to check. I have the reverse situation of the OP.

I am an Oregon-licensed resident and want to transfer a handgun to a buyer in WA state. I can take the gun to a WA FFL and have the transfer completed that way, right? Have heard some conflicting things from local gun shops. My understanding of it is that since it is lawful to ship (by private carrier) a handgun to an out of state FFL, it would be no different than physically taking the gun in person to an FFL in the buyer's state.

Yes - no difference.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads