I currently live in Washington state. I am 18 years old and living with my parents I plan on moving with them to Nebraska in July. Our house in Nebraska has already been purchased (idk if that changes my residency). My parents are leaving this week and I plan on leaving July 5th. I’ve been looking for a AK74 for a couple months and I found one In Montana not too far off my rout. The guy in Montana says they don’t require background checks for private transfers (i confirmed... “A background check is not required under state law when buying a firearm in a private sale, although local ordinances may apply”.) with 1639 and normal federal/state laws can I purchase this rifle / ”semi auto assault rifle”(that hurts to say). And do I need to do a ffl since I am not a Montana resident. I’ve read that it goes by the state laws of the
recipients state if that is true would that state be washington or Nebraska?
Your 18 and plan on living with parents...………….. How long? o_O
I don’t even graduate tell Tuesday. I’m only staying with them for 3 months to save extra money (I gotta get out of this state I want to be a gunsmith can’t do it here). I told them don’t be afraid to kick me out after that.
I believe the ATF says you can buy long guns in another state - however, the purchase has to be legal in both states.

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

I am not up to date on current Washington law, but I was under the impression that an 18 year old could not buy the firearm in question in Washington state. Your state of residence is your current state of residence until such time as you establish residence in another state. Intent is not enough.

Also, you can only legally buy a long gun in a state in which you are not a resident, when you purchase it from an FFL dealer.
You’d be best served by contacting an FFL or an firearms attorney. Taking legal advice from the internet is almost never you’re best course of action. Thread closed, thank you.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors August 2-Day Show
Hillsboro, OR
Vancouver Gunshow
Ridgefield, WA
Wes Knodel Gun Shows
Chehalis, WA
Rimfire Challenge
Canby, OR

Latest Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top