JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will be visiting portland soon and want to apply for my CHL. I'll be moving up next year, but I'd like to have it ready to go before I arrive.

What counties are virtual shall issue? I've heard some counties will deny out of state residence for" lawful self-defense".

I know Grant County would accept me but it's a 5.5 hour drive from Portland and appointments are between 8am-3pm on wednesday for non residents.

Are there any sheriff's office that is closer, so I don't have to drive so far?

Multnomah and Clackamas Counties do not issue non-resident CHLs, and Washington County requires a written statement of some 'compelling business' interest or other 'justifiable need' (other than exercising one's Constitutional Rights). I think you'll find you can get a non-resident CHL only from a county that is on the California/Oregon border, then perhaps transfer that CHL to the county you move to when you actually move, and you may have a lot of difficulty doing that to.

Like Puma said, border counties.

IIRC Josephine County is a little more firearm friendly.
Grants Pass is the County Seat.

After you move to Oregon you must apply for a CHP in your county of residence.

Good luck.

You may also want to consider that Sheriff's Department in Josephine County and Curry County are broke, so CHL wait time could potentially be longer.

Are they still having long wait times for Multnomah County?
I know they had a four or five month backlog last year.

I forgot about those two counties being broke.

I have some friends living near Cave Junction in Josephine County, when I was down there last year they did not even have a regular Deputy patrolling in the area.
Any law enforcement emergency had at least a 40 minute response time.

It's been a mess since they lost their timber revenues, and the voters have not passed any recent public safety levies.

MultCo is only processing Washington licenses. It sounds like you're out of luck for MultCo being a Kommifornian.
<broken link removed>

Contact Mr. Sal Casuccio at Oregon Firearms Federation at 53-263-583. He is located in the greater Portland area and can give you the required class and then take your picture, fingerprints, and app for Grant County. Sal is a great guy and got me my OR permit.

It appears Linn County will issue. I've head good things from Calguns. It's the closest to Portland by about 3 hours compared to Lake County or Grant County .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top