JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe all interstate sales must go through an FFL regardless of familial status. Inheritance might be an exception but I'm not 100% on that.

I just heard back from a FFL I inquired about this to.
He said it can just be boxed up and shipped directly to me.
Finally, something that's not over complicated.
Thanks guys !

Trust but verified. The FFLs often do not know what they're doing.
You are right about that !
Minutes later I received another message from the same FFL saying he could be wrong. He doesn't know California law. With the state of affairs now, being a complete mess I'll wait until spring when I'm going to visit family. Pick it up in person. Safer that way!

Being interstate, GCA applies. Exception would be if the firearm was specifically willed to the recipient and they were not otherwise unable to possess a firearm.

If doing it in person in CA, CA state laws would apply.

Then there's the "do it and STFU about it" approach.

But I'm not a lawyer, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, your mileage may vary, eat your Wheeties and you get what you pay for.

A FFL is required for residents of different states, except for bequethed firearms. I cant think of any CA laws that might apply unless it's an assault weapon under CA law. Pops may find it easier to use an FFL to ship it.

ATF info on interstate transfers

Not an attorney.

Could be your firearm, that you simply left in storage.

Pick it up next time you drive home, or have folks deliver it next time they drive up.

-Obviously I could be wrong. Don't do anything illegal.

If it wasn't Cali, I'd mention pick it up next you fly home. Easy peasy in other/normal states. Wouldn't for Cali...

Inheritance might be an exception but I'm not 100% on that.
Inheritance is an exception

Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

I know parent to child transfers require no paperwork or dealer transfer.
But how can I go about doing a transfer of a rifle from my parent to me if the parent is in California?
I spoke with a lawyer about this and was told if you ship it, it MUST go through an FFL. If a state border is involved it is interstate and the FED's must be involved. If they hand deliver it to you in the state of Oregon then you do not need an FFL. You will also want to create a document showing that Father or Mother gifted the firearm to you and make sure you document date\time\photocopy of ID's, make\serial of firearm just for safety.

The one could be BIG problem with doing this is was the gun in question papered to the parent? If so if you end up losing it reporting it lost could be a problem of jumping through hoops. If you just do not report it and it ends up at a crime they are going to go to your parents. Who then may well end up having to hire a lawyer. So make sure you want to take this risk just to get around the transfer laws. The risk is small but it is a risk.

I spoke with a lawyer about this and was told if you ship it, it MUST go through an FFL. If a state border is involved it is interstate and the FED's must be involved. If they hand deliver it to you in the state of Oregon then you do not need an FFL. You will also want to create a document showing that Father or Mother gifted the firearm to you and make sure you document date\time\photocopy of ID's, make\serial of firearm just for safety.
If a person wants to do it legally, then it is the states of residence that matter. Even if a California resident travels to Oregon to deliver it to the Oregon resident an FFL dealer/manufacturer must conduct the transfer of possession for it to be legal. This is federal law and if caught/prosecuted it is a federal felony which means lifetime loss of gun rights.
Inheritance applies when the transferor is dead, which does not sound like the case here.

I am not a cheerleader for these laws, but if someone wants to make an informed decision them's the breaks.

If a person wants to do it legally, then it is the states of residence that matter. Even if a California resident travels to Oregon to deliver it to the Oregon resident an FFL dealer/manufacturer must conduct the transfer of possession for it to be legal. This is federal law and if caught/prosecuted it is a federal felony which means lifetime loss of gun rights.
Inheritance applies when the transferor is dead, which does not sound like the case here.

I am not a cheerleader for these laws, but if someone wants to make an informed decision them's the breaks.
As I am not a lawyer, this is why I asked one. This is what I was told and is no way legal advice. Anyone with these types of questions should do their own research. I would recommend reaching out to an Oregon gun law lawyer to ask the question. They do not charge for asking the question and you can even ask the question on their website's and if you provide a phone number they usually call you to discuss.

Sometimes lawyers give incorrect statements of the law. The advice described above by the unnamed lawyer is flat out wrong. The residency of the transferor and transferee (and whether they have certain FFLs) is what matters, not the geography of where they are standing.

B34C34F3-FB58-4BB0-8B82-0D374546C90E.jpeg E72DDCEC-C769-454C-9EFD-51AEC1A4F222.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top