Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

"Out-of-spec" rounds?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Feb 27, 2009.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I took these pics to show another forum member (on another forum) what I was talking about in another thread when I said I had a box of ammo that was giving me the same problems he was describing.

I bought this box of ammo awhile back and when I tried shooting it my gun jammed every round. It would even seize up completely some times. I had the same problem in two different guns with the entire box of ammo. After measuring them against a few other boxes of ammo (two hollow points rounds and another FMJ) I found they were a little bit longer. I would never guess such a small difference could cause such problems...but it did.

I think this is something that happens to most shooters sooner or later. Has anyone else had this happen? :)

Round1.jpg

Round2.jpg

2. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Depending on the bullet used, both can be in spec.

You would have to check with the manufacturer to get the specifics of each load.

Looking thru some reloading data for the .40 cal. OAL can be anywhere from 1.085" up to 1.135"

3. dilleybilly

dilleybilly Forest Grove Member

i had it happen with winchester accubonds would only go halfway in chamber sent them back they give me 5 new boxes

4. PlayboyPenguin

With a more tapered bullet, this round could be in spec...but not with this blunt nose one. Being at nearly the maximum length with such a flat nose is causing the shoulder of the bullet to be too far forward. They caused the exact same malfunction in two of my guns and in one gun of my friends. We had to pry his back open with a screwdriver.

These were WWB rounds. It wasn't just a few of them either. It was the entire box of 100 rounds.

5. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Again, I would contact the maker to see what the specs are for that round.

Some guns don't like some rounds.

6. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I would start by polishing the feed ramp.

7. PlayboyPenguin

With the shoulder of the round this far forward, the issue is not the feed ramp. It is the throat of the barrel. :)

And are you implying that I do not obsessively polish the feed ramp of every gun I own until I can see my reflection in them??? Them's fightin' words where I come from! :D

8. PlayboyPenguin

I did...Winchester said this particular round should not exceed 1.12" maximum.

9. Trlsmn

Well it seems you had the answer before you posted the question.

10. Keane

Keane Hillsboro, OR Active Member

In all fairness, his question was "has anyone else had this happen?"

11. PlayboyPenguin

Yes, I was not asking what was the issue. I was asking if anyone else ever had it happen to them. :)

12. Trlsmn

Yes and with WWB.

13. doubleactiononly

doubleactiononly Seattle Member

Yes. I decided to not clean my HK45c to see what happens. What happened was it would not go into battery nearly every shot with Magtech ammo. I measured the diameter of the case, and it was noticeably larger (by .01", consistently) than my Speer Lawman ammo. The Lawman ammo fed with no problems.

But, both work perfectly when the gun is clean

14. dclarson

dclarson Tacoma, Wa New Member

I have 650 rounds of .45acp that is slightly out of spec and I've had the same problem in my 1911. They are reloads from the gun show. My question is what do I do with them? Would they word fine in a revolver with half moon clips?

15. doubleactiononly

doubleactiononly Seattle Member

For a 1911 I would try a different type of magazine first. There are huge variations in how different brand magazines feed a round.

There is a group buy going on for some made by Checkmate Industries here:
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=63340
    From what I've heard, the Checkmate mags are very similar to Colt factory mags, which many people prefer.

16. dclarson

dclarson Tacoma, Wa New Member