JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I took these pics to show another forum member (on another forum) what I was talking about in another thread when I said I had a box of ammo that was giving me the same problems he was describing.

I bought this box of ammo awhile back and when I tried shooting it my gun jammed every round. It would even seize up completely some times. I had the same problem in two different guns with the entire box of ammo. After measuring them against a few other boxes of ammo (two hollow points rounds and another FMJ) I found they were a little bit longer. I would never guess such a small difference could cause such problems...but it did.

I think this is something that happens to most shooters sooner or later. Has anyone else had this happen? :)

Round1.jpg

Round2.jpg

Depending on the bullet used, both can be in spec.

You would have to check with the manufacturer to get the specifics of each load.

Looking thru some reloading data for the .40 cal. OAL can be anywhere from 1.085" up to 1.135"

Depending on the bullet used, both can be in spec.

You would have to check with the manufacturer to get the specifics of each load.

Looking thru some reloading data for the .40 cal. OAL can be anywhere from 1.085" up to 1.135"
With a more tapered bullet, this round could be in spec...but not with this blunt nose one. Being at nearly the maximum length with such a flat nose is causing the shoulder of the bullet to be too far forward. They caused the exact same malfunction in two of my guns and in one gun of my friends. We had to pry his back open with a screwdriver.

These were WWB rounds. It wasn't just a few of them either. It was the entire box of 100 rounds.

With a more tapered bullet, this round could be in spec...but not with this blunt nose one. Being at nearly the maximum length with such a flat nose is causing the shoulder of the bullet to be too far forward. They caused the exact same malfunction in two of my guns and in one gun of my friends. We had to pry his back open with a screwdriver.

These were WWB rounds. It wasn't just a few of them either. It was the entire box of 100 rounds.

I would start by polishing the feed ramp.

I would start by polishing the feed ramp.

With the shoulder of the round this far forward, the issue is not the feed ramp. It is the throat of the barrel. :)

And are you implying that I do not obsessively polish the feed ramp of every gun I own until I can see my reflection in them??? Them's fightin' words where I come from! :D

Yes. I decided to not clean my HK45c to see what happens. What happened was it would not go into battery nearly every shot with Magtech ammo. I measured the diameter of the case, and it was noticeably larger (by .01", consistently) than my Speer Lawman ammo. The Lawman ammo fed with no problems.

But, both work perfectly when the gun is clean

I have 650 rounds of .45acp that is slightly out of spec and I've had the same problem in my 1911. They are reloads from the gun show. My question is what do I do with them? Would they word fine in a revolver with half moon clips?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top