JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone, looking for some advice here. Back in May of this year my DPMS SASS GII (308) experienced an out of battery discharge as a round was chambering. I contacted DPMS and they sent a call tag and have had the rifle since the start of June. For the last month, I've been calling every week and customer service says the rifle is done but waiting for Product Services (they describe this as their legal team) to call me. Every week I call back and the same story. I have sent several emails and have gotten no response to those either. I have verified in my emails and my phone calls that they have my correct phone number. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get their attention. All I want is my rifle back or at least for someone to contact me and tell me why they still have it and are refusing communication with me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Why did you send it back? Out of battery discharges are totally OK if they are in a Glock, I don't see why DPMS would be any different.

On a serious note, you may be brushed off a lot until you get your own Product Services team(aka lawyer) to call their Product Services team assuming there is some liability on their end, or they perceive it that way.

I really don't know how it could have happened since I realize the design of the bolt should not allow the firing pin to strike the primer until it is in full lock, but it was definitely an out of battery discharge. The mangled brass was stuck in the barrel extension, it blew the magazine apart, and bent the upper receiver. I'm not even saying the rifle is to blame. Maybe it's a bad primer, I don't know. All I really care about is getting my rifle back at this point.

It does sound like somebody is working on potential "damage control".

Try demanding a complete replacement of the rifle with a short time limit before you turn it over to an attorney and seek damages and legal fee's. They should be able to stamp your original SN on a replacement receiver. Save all your documentation

edit: Didn't realize this involved reloads...You may be up the proverbial creek.

Last Edited:
I really don't know how it could have happened since I realize the design of the bolt should not allow the firing pin to strike the primer until it is in full lock, but it was definitely an out of battery discharge.
Full battery
BCG in Battery.jpg
Partial battery
BCG out of Battery (partial lock).jpg
Reality

If you're saying an out of battery discharge is impossible, I'm open to being corrected but again the point of the post is that I just want my rifle back and ideally at least a reasonable hypothesis as to what happened. What I can say is that brass was mangled within the locking lugs on the barrel extension, the bottom blew out of the magazine, and the upper receiver was bent. And it happened as a round was clambering, hand at the charging handle, nowhere near the trigger. Any suggestions as to what other condition could have caused this?

I presumed that it was common practice for all manufactures to void any warranty, or obligation to repair damages of any firearm that fired reloads.

I recall that in the owners manual of Glocks and I'm confident in others.

Yeah... I hope you didn't tell the factory you were running reloads.

Did the bullet launch down the barrel? If so, maybe you had an overcharged round and it overcame the gas system in such a manner that caused the catastrophic results you're describing....

Yes on the reload thing. If you told em they were hand loads they're gonna tell ya to get off their lawn. Whatever you do, at this point, I would be extremely honest with them as their forensic professionals probably even know the sweat content of your palm at said oob discharge.

Handloads, will void your warranty.

I would sit back, relax and wait for them to get their process complete. Stop calling and harassing them, you are lucky they are fixing it at all.

YMMV

Yes, they were handloads.
Ooops.
That weakens your case substantially, no matter what you think about reloads.
All ammo is suspect until proven otherwise, home reloads more so.

I would not expect a new rifle in return.
You might be able to get a new rifle at a discounted rate.
At this point, that's what I would negotiate for.
If they agree, consider it a win and walk away.

I blew up an 1100 once.
I didn't get schitt, but then I didn't ask for anything either.
Oh, I did get shrapnel in my right thigh, glad it wasn't to the unit.

:)

Last Edited:
Any suggestions as to what other condition could have caused this?
High, soft cup primer.
Like a Federal.

What is your recipe, by the way, for this load ?

In general, soft to hard : (nvrmnd Stomper :))

1) Federal
2) Remington (tie)
2) Winchester (tie)
3) PPU Prvi Partizan (*reliability may have been affected due to below flush variation on primers)
4) CCI
5) Tula

Last Edited:
As far as the reloads, as you say, all are suspect. However, I have been loading 308 for over 12 years and I weigh every charge and run every round through a chamber checker, and check lengths on every round as well. I also worked up the load and was well below published max load data. I was honest about the handloads right from the start, even giving them my load data. When I originally contacted them, I had no expectations that they would warranty the rifle, all I was hoping for was to talk to someone who could give me an honest opinion as to what happened, even if it's that I screwed up. They just told me to send it in. No further communication until 6 weeks later I call to check on it and they say its all fixed, and they don't know why they still have it other than someone from another department has to call me. Now a month later, they are telling me it's still sitting there and no one knows why.
I find it interesting what DirectDrive says above. These were Federal #210M primers, whereas I in the past I used to use CCI.
I don't have the load data in front of me but if memory serves, it was 175gr SMK, Winchester commercial brass, Fed 210M primer, H4895 powder with 41.7gr with a length of 2.800".

I've seen a double feed detonate a round in the chamber. That's about the only out of battery kaboom I've witnessed.

It was a light primer strike, he racked the charging handle, it was an SKS, and boom. Round didn't strip, next round poked the primer. Kaboom.

I'm uncertain if you will win this one.

It really depends on you.

Most manufacturers will cave to an overbearing customer. "Customer is always right!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top