JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
N.Y. state about to get first post-Newtown gun law - CBS News

Just read this very disturbing article about the Assault Weapon Ban being passed in the New York Senate. It appears there is no grandfather clause for all items that are being banned and owners of these items will be considered criminals by the government for possessing them if they are not sold to people out-of-state within a year.

Ammunition magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

This is absolutely horrible and it also makes me think with the current mentality of the Democrats and all other supporters of the gun ban, that there will be no grandfather clause, assuming everyone else follows the footsteps of the fascist Cuomo. My feelings are, that he will use the excuse of people possessing hi cap magazines to perform raids on people and arrests on people who he has beliefs

Considering, the government may have access to records of purchases of these magazines, he would have a long list of newly-made criminals who he can persecute and have arrested. Once these people are in the system, all their other gun rights will be jeopardized as well.

This is a horrible attack on the 2nd Amendment and the fascist Cuomo Mussolini should be tried for treason! I'm glad I don't live in New York now and I don't think I would comply with orders to surrender my magazines.

Sad to say, the first gun seizure is under way! I think something drastic is needed or else other states will follow through. Cuomo has stated many times he wants confiscation of all semi automatic firearms and I don't doubt for a minute that he will make a similar ban on semi auto rifles as he has done on what he calls "hi-cap/ 10rd magazines". By banning 10 rd magazines, he has basically made a good majority of semi automatic handguns no longer usable in the state of New York.

New Yorkers need to do something. The American people need to do something. This is an atrocity.

To quote Franklin D. Roosevelt after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, "This is a Date Which Will Live in Infamy".

Like the Japanese invasion, now America has been invaded internally by fascists who want to destroy our freedom.

if this happing to me then I will conceal carry Bullcasual 454 with 5 rounds hollow point. With two quick loader in my pockets. My bug a 44 magnum in my ankle holster :)

Yeah, pretty disturbing for sure. But their governor (supposedly a 2016 presidential fore-runner) is straight up bat bubblegum insane. He was talking confiscation of firearms, now they're going to make it a misdemeanor to possess something you legally own and legally obtained.

Time to write your state reps.

U.S. Constitution, Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3: No Ex-Post Facto laws shall be passed.
N.Y. Constitution: No such law
OR Constitution: Article 1, Section 21: No Ex-Post Facto law....shall ever be passed...

U.S. Constitution, Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3: No Ex-Post Facto laws shall be passed.
OR Constitution: Article 1, Section 21: No Ex-Post Facto law....shall ever be passed...

Learn something new every day. Thank you for posting that.

It gets worse, New Yorkers will no longer be able to buy semi automatic rifles (anything classified as AW by NY gov't) online anymore. That means anybody in New York will no longer be able to sell or purchase a semi-automatic firearm online.

Private sales of assault weapons to someone other than an immediate family would be subject to a background check through a dealer. Also Internet sales of assault weapons would be banned, and failing to safely store a weapon could be subject to a misdemeanor charge.

Read more: <broken link removed>
e-4194149.php#ixzz2I29NnZ7R

Also, all private sales of semi-automatic rifles will be required to go through an FFL. Essentially, banning the private sales of semi-auto rifles.

New Yorkers need to do something. The American people need to do something. This is an atrocity.

Not the first magazine seizure. An earlier one happened in Concord MA, on April 19th, 1775. :D

That said, one option here is civil disobedience. Instead of quietly hiding their mags under the floorboards, New Yorkers could take them down to the Town Hall en masse and say "Your law is wrong. I'm not giving this up. Arrest me now."

Unfortunately, the New York gun owners I know are timid. They're afraid to even mention their guns lest they lose their friends. I think everyone in liberal states (including Oregon and Wash) will need to make a hard decision to become more vocal, if we want to avoid this fate.

And to be clear, being vocal doesn't necessarily mean debating. It can mean just expressing your hobby or love for military guns more openly.

For example... when someone asks me "How's it going?", I'll say "Awesome! I just got this gun/ammo/accessory" and explain it excitedly. Maybe show a photo on my iPhone. If the person looks really liberal, I'll show a non-threatening old revolver. This always challenges people's perception of guns. Now, they think "Wow, that looks fun."

The worst part is when it's someone I've known for years, and they'll start whispering "Oh my god I have that gun too! But I keep my hobby secret, etc". Ultimately if we don't speak up, we'll probably get the California and New York style laws.

I wish this was comforting. However, I want my kids to grow up with the same rights I have. To buy guns, to customize them, to pick their own.

Letting my kids fondle a crusty, grandfathered AR-15 in my basement has zero appeal.

Jefferson didn't leave me a rusty old musket. He left me the Bill of Rights.

Unfortunately, those protections in the US and Oregon constitutions have been violated repeatedly and effectively mean nothing unless vigorously fought against every time. Think about the domestic violence conviction/restraining orders* restrictions on buying a gun through an FFL or private sale (unless the buyer lies). When that went through years ago, many were prevented from buying guns despite being model citizens for years/decades because of a past misdemeanor, or a charge that just lead to a fine.

Then there are things like child support enforcement leading to debtor's prison if you can't pay, see the federal "Bradley Ammendment" law.

* (often held ex-parte, aka defendent was not there to face accusations)

It gets worse, New Yorkers will no longer be able to buy semi automatic rifles (anything classified as AW by NY gov't) online anymore. That means anybody in New York will no longer be able to sell or purchase a semi-automatic firearm online.

e-4194149.php#ixzz2I29NnZ7R

Also, all private sales of semi-automatic rifles will be required to go through an FFL. Essentially, banning the private sales of semi-auto rifles.

I'm actually surprised that's not the case. This is the law in California - all sales (semi-, bolt, whatever) have to go through an FFL.

Not the first magazine seizure. An earlier one happened in Concord MA, on April 19th, 1775. :D

That said, one option here is civil disobedience. Instead of quietly hiding their mags under the floorboards, New Yorkers could take them down to the Town Hall en masse and say "Your law is wrong. I'm not giving this up. Arrest me now."

Unfortunately, the New York gun owners I know are timid. They're afraid to even mention their guns lest they lose their friends. I think everyone in liberal states (including Oregon and Wash) will need to make a hard decision to become more vocal, if we want to avoid this fate.

And to be clear, being vocal doesn't necessarily mean debating. It can mean just expressing your hobby or love for military guns more openly.

For example... when someone asks me "How's it going?", I'll say "Awesome! I just got this gun/ammo/accessory" and explain it excitedly. Maybe show a photo on my iPhone. If the person looks really liberal, I'll show a non-threatening old revolver. This always challenges people's perception of guns. Now, they think "Wow, that looks fun."

The worst part is when it's someone I've known for years, and they'll start whispering "Oh my god I have that gun too! But I keep my hobby secret, etc". Ultimately if we don't speak up, we'll probably get the California and New York style laws.

Agree 100% We who are responsible gun owners have nothing to be ashamed of, and we should not let the anti-gunners win this debate.

I was thinking the same thing. There is also the whole issue about taking away private property without just compensation. .... and trust me, any half decent lawyer can make an argument that this is just that.

Also this is a perfect example why political dynasties are a very bad idea, be it the Bushes, Cuomos or Kennedys.

The guns package was negotiated privately by the governor and legislative leaders over the last several weeks, but was only completed late Monday; rank-and-file Senators had only a few minutes to read the legislation before voting on it.
Isn't this some kind of violation of an open meetings law?....like they care about stuff like that. :(

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top