JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, we went to our first training session. I was curious if firearms would even be mentioned during the initial training. When we first arrive at the main building I notice their are large signs on every door stating that firearms are prohibited on site. This is clearly for the safety of the staff. One staffer tells us of how they often fear an angered parent will show up with a gun to take revenge on the social worker. That makes perfect sense. We all know that if an enraged parent who is most likely on drugs gets angry enough to come down with a gun seeking revenge they will most certainly be foiled when they get to the front door and see the no firearms sign. :rolleyes:

During the first hour of the class they show an orientation film. Surely enough firearms are mention multiple times during the training. The video and the presenter make a point to stress the state regulations require that firearms must be kept in a non-breakable safe. Still, they make a point to always add "but it would be best if you just keep them all off site" at the end each time they state the regulation. It is very much evident that they are saying "legally you can have them, but we are going to make an issue of it if you do."

Are you adopting from this country or from somwhere else? My brother adopted from Taiwan, and they had to go through a lot of invasive questioning/training/visits for it to happen. He did get to keep his guns though, he just had to buy a safe.

Teaching the munchkins about firearms works. My daughter will not touch them period unless I ok it, and yes I have a safe also. Gotta love politics though.
Yeah, I would never trust a 5 year old around guns no matter how well trained I felt they were. Every time I have seen that training tested under controlled circumstances the kids do not tend to live up to the parents expectations. It just isn't worth the risk :)

My wife and I went through this when adopting, they asked what/where/how many, etc. In a very nice way, I let them know they were legal, safe and locked up, the rest is none of their business and it wasn't up for discussion/debate. They left it at that.

My wife and I went through this when adopting, they asked what/where/how many, etc. In a very nice way, I let them know they were legal, safe and locked up, the rest is none of their business and it wasn't up for discussion/debate. They left it at that.

The wife and I went through the same when we were getting our homestudy. No questions about leaving alcohol, butcher knives, drugs, p0rn, or whatever laying around but they kept asking repeatedly if the guns were ever laying around. They didn't think it was funny when I jokingly told them I leave guns everywhere but we'll keep the kid in a cage so no worries.:D Never made a joke like that again!

I have been through (4) count'em (4) homstudies. My wife and I have been through the foster care classes as well. In all the adoption profiles we made we referred to my shooting USPSA and Local Rifle Matches as "out-door" sports, just to head off a problem before it started. The Social workers all asked about firearms, but when I explained we had a safe, they moved onto the next question no problems.

If you are a responsible gun owner, don't leave things out, and don't mention armageddon, your militia training, or the inevitable zombie attack, you shoud be fine.

I am glad to see so many people on this forum that have adopted, or have had their lives touched by adoption. I have seen too many "MEN" state they will not raise a child that is not "theirs". I guarentee my (2) kids are "MINE" and anybody that tells me different will have problem.:s0155:

I have been through (4) count'em (4) homstudies. My wife and I have been through the foster care classes as well. In all the adoption profiles we made we referred to my shooting USPSA and Local Rifle Matches as "out-door" sports, just to head off a problem before it started. The Social workers all asked about firearms, but when I explained we had a safe, they moved onto the next question no problems.

If you are a responsible gun owner, don't leave things out, and don't mention armageddon, your militia training, or the inevitable zombie attack, you shoud be fine.

I am glad to see so many people on this forum that have adopted, or have had their lives touched by adoption. I have seen too many "MEN" state they will not raise a child that is not "theirs". I guarentee my (2) kids are "MINE" and anybody that tells me different will have problem.:s0155:

2 quicks comments.

First of all, I wasn't sure I could be the same type of dad if my children were not biologically mine. Then I got to hold them........then I got to hold them. That's it, it doesn't even enter my mind that they didn't originally come from us.

Second, we went through 2 homestudies, you went through FOUR??? Do you ever question your sanity? Just kiddin', a pittance of a price to pay when you get kiss them goodnight.

Yep (4)

1) for a foster-adopt that failed litteraly 2-days before we were to have the child sent to our home.

1) for actually (2) failed international adoptions when Russia shut down all adoptions several years ago, and then China shut down while we were in process.

1) for our daughter adopted from Oregon.

and the last (1) for our son adopted from Tacoma.

My wife and I questioned our sanity for the 4-years it took to get these little buggers. But I would do all over again in a heartbeat. Nothing like the patter of little feet and getting tackled when you enter the door from work!!!:yes:

2 quicks comments.

First of all, I wasn't sure I could be the same type of dad if my children were not biologically mine. Then I got to hold them........then I got to hold them. That's it, it doesn't even enter my mind that they didn't originally come from us.

I hear ya on the biological thing... I have three "step" kids and three "bio" kids (from a prior marriage), and I don't differentiate even a little bit between them all. While growning up, my family members never gave two hoots about the bio-relation thing, and always welcomed "strays" into the fold as one of our own... Family is those who are THERE for you, no matter what, and THAT is "thicker than blood" ANYDAY!

PBP, good luck and enjoy him/her while you can... they grow up FAST! :s0155:

Well spoken sir..... I too have 2 boys by adoption.... and they are mine just as much as if the wife had pushed them out herself.

As to the OP. Everyone else that has been through the process is correct. As long as they know the firearms are locked, and the ammo locked seperately. no further questions. Congrats BTW. Very rewarding experience.:s0155:

Well, we went to our first training session. I was curious if firearms would even be mentioned during the initial training. When we first arrive at the main building I notice their are large signs on every door stating that firearms are prohibited on site. This is clearly for the safety of the staff. One staffer tells us of how they often fear an angered parent will show up with a gun to take revenge on the social worker. That makes perfect sense. We all know that if an enraged parent who is most likely on drugs gets angry enough to come down with a gun seeking revenge they will most certainly be foiled when they get to the front door and see the no firearms sign. :rolleyes:

During the first hour of the class they show an orientation film. Surely enough firearms are mention multiple times during the training. The video and the presenter make a point to stress the state regulations require that firearms must be kept in a non-breakable safe. Still, they make a point to always add "but it would be best if you just keep them all off site" at the end each time they state the regulation. It is very much evident that they are saying "legally you can have them, but we are going to make an issue of it if you do."

Still, they make a point to always add "but it would be best if you just keep them all off site"

Sure, until some doped up savage breaks into your home at 3 AM.. where will these libtards be, then?

That's right..nowhere to be seen, while you may all die if unarmed.. hypocrites

Rant on.
DHS is about worthless. They are the worst division within Oregon State Govt hands down. Had one of the manager twits in a class who claimed the sole reason the Feds helped subsidize them was to collect statistics.

She also claimed there was no other county agency or hospital able to give "unfortunate" preganant ladies advice or assistance. And on the questionaire they had to determine how "unfortunate" the people were, was the question if you had a weapon and were they locked up.

I hope to God the Oregon Legislature grows some and defunds them and cuts them back.

Worthless vultures.

Rant off.

Have a great day.

Yeah, when we went through the training they asked us to write down all our guns and their serial numbers! My wife went through the roof! Needless to say they said it wasnt really that important after all, as long as our guns and liquour are locked up.....

Yeah, when we went through the training they asked us to write down all our guns and their serial numbers! My wife went through the roof! Needless to say they said it wasnt really that important after all, as long as our guns and liquour are locked up.....

they even have the right to ask what you had, let alone the serial numbers? I'd NEVER answer those either.

I'd ask them to show me the law that required that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top