JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...We are , I'm thinking , mostly on the same page....So to speak.
Andy
No doubts on that Andy. Although you probably retain a bit more youthful optimism o_O I, on the other hand, having watched this show for well over 50 years, am a cynical old buzzard and don't harbor any delusions about the ill intent of g-c advocates.
Your quote was just a kicking off point for me, definitely not an object of criticism.

While this case is one of a dumb*** illegal carrier not using a holster, there's a video circulating of a apparently responsible gun owner appendix carrying in a holster who shot himself while appendix carrying, when he bent over to pick up his backpack from the floor. Compression or perhaps something in the trigger well fired the gun.

Video:

Another different case, man dies attempting to reholster AIWB: Man Dies Attempting Appendix Carry Reholster In Milkwaukee - Bearing Arms - appendix carry, Milwaukee, Negligent Discharge, Timothy Phonisay, Wisconsin

AIWB violates at least 1 of the 4 rules and therefore should not be used, IMO, at least not on a live chamber. You are relying on small mechanical plastic parts and springs and a holster to prevent the gun from firing. No thanks. Because if it fails, you can die.

The gun safety rules are there for a reason and you should not break them unless it is IMPOSSIBLE to harm someone (i.e. if you've unloaded the gun, and confirmed, you can dry fire it to disassemble). But it is not IMPOSSIBLE for a loaded gun's safety to fail somehow and fire. It's rare, but not impossible. Therefore, AIWB is simply far too dangerous as a means of carry.

There's been a lot of speculation that first example was a staged event, that second, what can you say about someone shooting them self posing for a selfie other than Darwin was right.

There was a video made with laser equipped pistol being holstered and drawn from both strongside and AIWB that was very telling as to which method results in more self flagging.

Neither of these vids are the one I'm looking for, I'll find it.

go to 1:55 for a comparison...

Nonsense video. He claims you don't cover yourself with an AIBW. That is impossible. Literally at 3:14 he is pointing the gun at his crotch, knees, and toes. Further, try drawing while seated. IWB at 3 oclock is simple. AIWB covers your entire lower body with the gun.

And false comparison. The same person somehow cants his gun inward with a side IBW? Seems that is a training problem.

Larry Vickers bans AIWB from his classes.
I cannot take seriously any trainer who violates a fundamental rule to not point a loaded gun at yourself. I think that's possibly criminally negligent but it's certainly cause to disagree with their methodology.

At least one person has died from holster carry AIWB. Another shot on video, and speculation is not enough to disprove it since it appears 100% legit. How much more evidence is necessary to reinforce the fundamental rules of gun safety?

Last Edited:
No he didn't.

Then how does he get it in the holster, which is pointed directly down? Magic?

For any anatomically correct man, your junk, legs, and knees and feet stick out past an AIWB holster.

The fact is, even for 1 second, he (and other AIWB) must point the gun at themselves to get it into the holster unless they remove the holster first. It is physically impossible to holster it without flagging oneself...

And, since re-holstering is actually a pretty dangerous maneuver, one has to be extremely careful to not have an ND. Point the gun at yourself with an ND risk and the total risk skyrockets.

And all this ignores the very real risk that guns are machines and machines can break or fail. As we saw in the video of the AIWB nd, somehow his gun and holster failed resulting in shooting himself. What more proof does a person need to stop AIWB carry?

Last Edited:
Then how does he get it in the holster, which is pointed directly down? Magic?

For any anatomically correct man, your junk, legs, and knees and feet stick out past an AIWB holster.

The fact is, even for 1 second, he (and other AIWB) must point the gun at themselves to get it into the holster unless they remove the holster first. It is physically impossible to holster it without flagging oneself...

The bore axis is parallel to the body it does not intersect the body. If you take gun, lay it flat on a table and fire it the bullet will never strike the table, same thing.

The bore axis is parallel to the body it does not intersect the body. If you take gun, lay it flat on a table and fire it the bullet will never strike the table, same thing.

Your body must be different than everyone else. If I stand and look directly down from my appendix, guess what I see? I see my ****. I see my thighs. I see my kneecaps. And I see my feet. That natural stance is called balance. Otherwise you'd tip forward and fall down. These important body parts protrude out past a persons' appendix. The appendix is generally flat or concave above the groin. The fact that it is concave makes it an ideal location for those wishing to carry there (regardless of how stupid and unsafe it is). Because unlike the hip, which sticks out, the gun "disappears" in the concave AIWB location.

Also, an AIWB naturally points INWARDS so the butt of the gun sticks outwards at a small angle. This increases drawing/reholstering. So, naturally, you are indeed pointing the gun at yourself during draw and reholster.

Simple biology mate. You can't disprove it.

My personal preference is IWB at either 3 or 4 o'clock. I do not feel comfortable with AIWB but that's my personal feeling. Others can choose as they please and I'm not going to lecture them. A negligent discharge is possible regardless of your carry method. One needs to be slow and deliberate when reholstering making sure your finger is off the trigger and that nothing else is getting inside the triggerguard as you do so.

My personal preference is IWB at either 3 or 4 o'clock. I do not feel comfortable with AIWB but that's my personal feeling. Others can choose as they please and I'm not going to lecture them. A negligent discharge is possible regardless of your carry method. One needs to be slow and deliberate when reholstering making sure your finger is off the trigger and that nothing else is getting inside the triggerguard as you do so.

While I sorta agree, reminding people of the key rules for safety is not lecturing. An ND from the 3 or 4 oclock in the holster or while clearing/reholstering puts a hole in the floor. An ND/AD from AIWB puts a hole in your body. That's the difference.

An accidental discharge of any type in the pants is bad....

iu.jpg

Some of us with bum shoulders use the holstered/appendix style of carry as reaching back behind the hip or even cross body just can't be done...we're too banged up and while I do on rare occasion shoulder carry, I'm not a fan of that style.

Meh , just think of all the successful non holster appendix that is happening every day on Crenshaw Blvd ...... it's probably like 100,000 puds with one hole to every 1 with two

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top