JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While back I had to run off some "questionable" people here. They in trying to get car going one dropped a knife on the ground. It was getting dark, I was out of patience with them. Kicked the knife away from the vehicle. I was at the point were I was going to run them off and call a tow and they wanted hell out. So next morning when light I go pick up knife. Its was a Schrade out the top auto with a glass breaker. Kind made for LEO and fire. It was in rough shape. I handed it to Wife, told her far as I know these are a not for use by public in this state so one of the crew could keep it but don't take it off property. Well Wife calls the Co, sends them a pic,says knife no longer works well. Damned if they did not send her a brand new one free:eek:.
So I was a little puzzled as they did not ask her if we work as Medics or LEO's. When I look at their Site it looks like this is a Viper. They are calling it assisted opening. It opens by pushing a button and blade comes out the top. Are these some how considered Assisted now???? In any case I was damn impressed by the customer service from them to send a new knife free.

1639613804250.png

Well looks like I would have found the answer if I just looked at their site :oops: Wife and I went to eat and I looked while waiting. They are calling this an assisted opener so they are getting away with it. Looking closer I see how they did. They not only walked up to the line of the law, they painted the damn line a little wider to get around this but, what the hell works for me. Will use it for daily carry. Was still some over the top customer service for them to just send a new damn knife like this. :)

I'm not a lawyer so don't take that as legal advice.

Assisted knives can use a spring of some sort, from my understanding, but the must require the user to "assist". The blade must be pushed forward (or whichever direction it opens) manually by the user first before any mechanism takes it the rest of the way. This Schrade does that. The nub is attached to the blade. You have to push or "assist" that nub forward before the spring does the rest. Blade and nub go forward. There is no automatic forward with a bush of a button. You must manually reset the blade. Not an automatic knife.

In comparison to say the Automatic benchmade infidel that has a similar nub on it, but that nub is not attached to the blade at all. When pushed forward, the blade shoots forward on its own via a spring. When pushed back, the blade shoots inward all on its own via a spring. User doesn't need to "assist" it in anyway other than pressing a button.

The knife you got is not an Automatic Knife which are restricted in the state of Washington last I checked.

Reno is spot on. Assisted opening requires a manual movement of the blade before the spring kicks in to assist completion of the opening.
Ken Onion came up with the assisted opening design with the Speed Safe mechanism which Kershaw produced.
This came about when Ken was making custom auto knives in Hawaii and the police showed up at his door and told him to stop it or they would arrest him and seize his home where they were made. He stopped making auto knives after that happened.
He got the idea for the assisted opening from the kick stand on his motorcycle. You start the movement manually and then the spring kicks in and completes the opening.

If your in oregon laws a little lax actually. Still can not conceal carry some but I believe if the clip is shown on the outside of your pocket it's not considered concealed. I would still double check the laws yourself I used to carry a OTF knife and used it in front of officers and they are ones that said if clip is shown its not concealed.

I'm not a lawyer so don't take that as legal advice.

Assisted knives can use a spring of some sort, from my understanding, but the must require the user to "assist". The blade must be pushed forward (or whichever direction it opens) manually by the user first before any mechanism takes it the rest of the way. This Schrade does that. The nub is attached to the blade. You have to push or "assist" that nub forward before the spring does the rest. Blade and nub go forward. There is no automatic forward with a bush of a button. You must manually reset the blade. Not an automatic knife.

In comparison to say the Automatic benchmade infidel that has a similar nub on it, but that nub is not attached to the blade at all. When pushed forward, the blade shoots forward on its own via a spring. When pushed back, the blade shoots inward all on its own via a spring. User doesn't need to "assist" it in anyway other than pressing a button.

The knife you got is not an Automatic Knife which are restricted in the state of Washington last I checked.
Yep, after I looked at the site and saw they were still selling these that's what I meant by they did not just fog the line. They painted the line a little wider to get away with this but, hey it is legal. At least for now. So what the hell it will make a good work knife. More than anything I was just impressed that they just sent the wife a new one free. They told her its a lifetime warranty and they mean it. Did not even ask for the old one back. Impressive customer service.

While back I had to run off some "questionable" people here. They in trying to get car going one dropped a knife on the ground. It was getting dark, I was out of patience with them. Kicked the knife away from the vehicle. I was at the point were I was going to run them off and call a tow and they wanted hell out. So next morning when light I go pick up knife. Its was a Schrade out the top auto with a glass breaker. Kind made for LEO and fire. It was in rough shape. I handed it to Wife, told her far as I know these are a not for use by public in this state so one of the crew could keep it but don't take it off property. Well Wife calls the Co, sends them a pic,says knife no longer works well. Damned if they did not send her a brand new one free:eek:.
So I was a little puzzled as they did not ask her if we work as Medics or LEO's. When I look at their Site it looks like this is a Viper. They are calling it assisted opening. It opens by pushing a button and blade comes out the top. Are these some how considered Assisted now???? In any case I was damn impressed by the customer service from them to send a new knife free.
What state are you in. In idaho and Oregon I believe they are legal.

WA, AFAIK they will not sell "auto knives" here to the common folk but as I found this is considered an assisted, which we can still have. I have and have had many assisted over many years. Just had never seen one that moved the line this far and still called it assisted. certainly not some high end knife but, the way the customer service from them was will have me looking to them for knives when I manage to break one misusing it. Think I will buy a couple more of this one to give to some coworkers for Christmas.

WA, AFAIK they will not sell "auto knives" here to the common folk but as I found this is considered an assisted, which we can still have. I have and have had many assisted over many years. Just had never seen one that moved the line this far and still called it assisted. certainly not some high end knife but, the way the customer service from them was will have me looking to them for knives when I manage to break one misusing it. Think I will buy a couple more of this one to give to some coworkers for Christmas.
Good companies with good customer service are very hard to find these days.

IMHO....support your "local" knife producers. See the gun show. But then, the big guys (and much more affordable) for me are Kershaw and Benchmade. Fact is.....I've actually visited the factories (since they are both right here in OR).

Kershaw usually has a factory sale about Thanksgiving time. My son said that this year, it was off. Due to Covid.

Then, Benchmade has a "discount". Ask what would qualify you for one. Check in advance to see if a factory tour is possible for you. And, I know for sure.....that Benchmade has a factory store attached to the factory (check on the hours of operation). Maybe you'll be in time for a Christmas deal?

Aloha, Mark

Maybe it's because it's single action not double? Then again maybe that makes no difference at all depending on what state u are in, I dunno. I know u can buy a regular double action automatic out the front knife from Amazon and have it shipped to Oregon. I don't know if Amazon restricts shipping to other states or not though.

One example:

You can buy Autos in just about any store around here….bi-mart had a killer sale on Kershaw autos not too long ago.

Never understood why they're "illegal" anyways, seems like a lot of laws they just use fear and ignorance to convince the citizen they must tighten the grip on the populace. And we all know the one guaranteed thing passing a law does -
(it creates more criminals 🤣 )

Maybe it's because it's single action not double? Then again maybe that makes no difference at all depending on what state u are in, I dunno. I know u can buy a regular double action automatic out the front knife from Amazon and have it shipped to Oregon. I don't know if Amazon restricts shipping to other states or not though.

One example:
The way they made this "kosher" is the "button" to release the blade is not just a "button". It only moves a fraction of an inch BUT it does have to push the blade that fraction of an inch to "activate" the assist. So apparently this satisfied the WA law that these are an assisted opener. This is them not just "fogging the line" of legal, they painted the line a little wider and stood on it :D. Figure what the hell, they have been making these for a LONG time now. Not going to be a problem for me but, I suspect many LEO's would at minimum confiscate one of these from anyone they had to have dealings with. I went to buy a couple more from the maker and the sale would not go through. Site would not give me a reason, just would not allow me to buy. So I looked on line and Midway and Optics Planet both stock them. Midway did not have the blade design I like but OP did. So ordered a couple more from them. Gifts for a couple co workers who will like this. At least now I know the damn place stands behind them. If they break they send a new one free. :D

If your in oregon laws a little lax actually. Still can not conceal carry some but I believe if the clip is shown on the outside of your pocket it's not considered concealed. I would still double check the laws yourself I used to carry a OTF knife and used it in front of officers and they are ones that said if clip is shown its not concealed.

Problem is, this would probably be considered to be a dagger?

I would like to see a court case where the clip would be considered to be open carry. Also, what if my shirt or jacket covered my pocket such that the clip could not be seen?

Problem is, this would probably be considered to be a dagger?

I would like to see a court case where the clip would be considered to be open carry. Also, what if my shirt or jacket covered my pocket such that the clip could not be seen?
Oh I am aware of this Definitely carry at your own risk. I do know a guy that carries a Benchmade infidel and he works at the Washington county sheriff's office. Do i do know of you see a clip on outside of your pocket it is not concealed and yes being covered by your jacket will make it now concealed.

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal in OR really I mean it takes like 2 seconds to change from clipped on inside to clipped on outside.

That concealed thing is a bit of a judgement call to an officer anyway imo. I have heard of several instances where they say if u can see the clip is not concealed and at the very least u could effectively argue it was identifiable as a weapon cuz u could see clip and top of knife. If possession is illegal then that is a whole different ball of wax imo.

Last Edited:
Oh I am aware of this Definitely carry at your own risk. I do know a guy that carries a Benchmade infidel and he works at the Washington county sheriff's office. Do i do know of you see a clip on outside of your pocket it is not concealed and yes being covered by your jacket will make it now concealed.
Then to be safe I would need to carry it clipped outside a chest pocket on a jacket/shirt, or something to that effect.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top