JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm looking to pick up an Otis Cleaning system to replace my rod set for its compact package and ease of use. There seems to be a bunch of different versions that offer the same things.

I was wondering if you guys could help me weed out the best bang for your buck system from them?

I was looking to get the HardCore Hunter Cleaning system from Walmart.

Calibers that I use currently .22, .223, 9mm, 7.62x39, and 12 gauge at the moment. Trying to cover all my bases and future calibers.

I have a small Otis that fits into the pistol grip of my AR; but I have never used it- it's strictly SHTF gear to me. I prefer being able to scrub both directions and a Dewey coated rod fits the bill well.

p_234000028_1.jpg
This one's from Brownells.

Alright, i hate seeing posts with no answers :( I got this one;

Amazon.com: Otis Tactical Cleaning System with 6 Brushes: Sports & Outdoors

I'm fairly certain that covers all your current calibres.

I bought that system not long ago and I absolutely hated it. If you don't fold the patches in JUST the right way, they'll be stuck in the barrel. I did this multiple times. The brass handle on the pull system is also soft. I bent the bubblegum out of it on the 2nd pull I ever did.

I hated the system. I threw it in the garbage this weekend after purchasing a solid section steel rod (awesome) and a bore guide (double awesome). I'll never go back.

I did scalp all the tool tips from the Otis system though, obviously, as they were just fine.

Seriously, get a solid rod and a bore guide and never use anything else. I need my head examined for buying the Otis unit. Sounded amazing on paper.

So, the patches i found to be fine, just fold them differently, although i normally just buy hoppes packs of them.

The pull handle, i've just to pull the 12ga brush with a couple of patches wrapped round it through many times, not even slightly bending or even flexing the handle.

Bore guides are nice, but not always practical.

Either way, i've noticed there are no actually complete kits that have the nicest of all things in them, i made mine up from various, but most parts are from this Otis kit.

I bought that system not long ago and I absolutely hated it. If you don't fold the patches in JUST the right way, they'll be stuck in the barrel. I did this multiple times. The brass handle on the pull system is also soft. I bent the bubblegum out of it on the 2nd pull I ever did.

I hated the system. I threw it in the garbage this weekend after purchasing a solid section steel rod (awesome) and a bore guide (double awesome). I'll never go back.

I did scalp all the tool tips from the Otis system though, obviously, as they were just fine.

Seriously, get a solid rod and a bore guide and never use anything else. I need my head examined for buying the Otis unit. Sounded amazing on paper.

What did you buy then?

I have used the Otis for a few years and love it. Throw it inna pack and go. Pretty easy to learn to fold the patches the right way, so its pretty versatile. I clean 40-80 firearms a week and use the heck outta the big Otis kit..

If something is really dirty I use a Dewey rod, but thats rare. The cable is just so easy.

I have the otis tactical set and to be honest it works well, the brushes aren't bad and it packs up nice and compact but other than that it was kind of a waste because it just takes so long to fold up those silly little patches and thread the cable through the barrel. I always go back to a rod and brass jags as they are so much faster and do a vastly better job.

Yeah, i have to say, i wasn't expecting, nor particularly wanting the ubér compactness that this kit offers, i just wanted the components.

I've bought the otis zombie apocalypse kit about 1 year ago, no idea if they still make it. About the size of a soft ball. Covers 22 and 30 call rifle. 9mm, 38, 40, and 45 hand gun. 12 and 20 gauge shotgun. All tools and cables. I clean about 13 different guns with it. No complaints besides it was like 65$. But it truly is all you need on the field besides a leatherman. Super compact. Everything has part numbers and is replaceable.
A+ from me, tons of trial with it.

What did you buy then?

I picked up the Gunslick AR-15 Bore Guide, and it's awesome. Great quality and it has adjustable o-rings to ensure a good tight fit to whatever standard you desire.

I'm not sure if the rules allow me to post a direct link or if it will be stripped out. If it works, here's what I picked up:
Amazon.com: Gunslick AR-15 Bore Guide: Sports & Outdoors

As for the rod, get any rod that's a single unified rod to ensure its strength. Also prefer steel. You won't have to worry about using something soft since your bore guide is also going to help reinforce your rod and prevent any contact with the barrel. :s0155:

I bought the Otis Elite cleaning system from Cabela's and really like it. It has all of the tools and brushes and different cables as well. You can also buy Otis patch refills as well as well. I use a one patch to apply solvent and another to wipe the solvent out. I use 12 gauge cotton wipes for my general cleaning of my shotguns.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/The-...=Otis+elite&search=Search&No=0&Ntt=Otis+elite

Last Edited:
I have one for my range bag, and had no inclination to use it, then I went to the range to do a barrel break in and realized I forgot my one piece cleaning rods. The Otis saved my bacon!

What I like - the chamber brush, I really, really like that.

The rest? - I don't do the whole foldy patch thing........I use regular patches. In the end, it's SHTF stuff for me, but I think it's all about preference.

Once you learn how to fold the patches you are good to go. I really like the separate cleaning kit inside the Otis elite kit. I put the smaller kit in my range bag.

I have so many cleaning 'systems' it is hard to keep track of them all, including the full length wood dowel rods. All systems have their advantages. It is hard to punch out a stuck bullet or case with a cord, rope or chain. Segmented rods are great in the pack or if they fit in the butt stock. Otis, Hoppes, mil surp chains, cords etc. are good for a quick clean at the range or in the field, better than nothing. But if you can use a rod (for cleaning) it just feels better when you are pushing hard.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top