JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I really like the S&W 380 EZ, in particular the way the slide is so much easier to rack compared with every other pistol I've used. I've heard that the 9mm EZ is similarly light in that respect. Other features similarly make these guns, well, easy to use.

In general I think it's a great move by S&W to identify an area of the potential gun-buying market that's traditionally been under-served. So I'm wondering: are there any other manufacturers that are jumping on this general 'EZ' thing? Or do you know of any other specific guns that have similarly light-racking slides in .380 and 9 mm?

HK VP9 has a relatively easy to rack slide for a striker-fired pistol. Best to go to a gun store and start racking.
I'm not a small guy and I work out, so for me a vp9 isn't hard to rack, but when I was helping my mom find the right pistol for home defense, I let her shoot my VP9, and she could shoot it ok but could not rack a round I to the chamber.

The VP9 has the same recoil spring as the VP40, so od have to disagree with your assessment.

I would say using something like a glock with a rear charging handle could help.

A CZ P01 is going to have little to no muzzle flip, but will recoil more straight back, throw an optic on it and you can use the optic to run the slide (off your hand, or a stationary device)

If your pistol isn't optics ready there are a ton of aftermarket companies that can make it happen.
For the above mentioned CZP01 Cajun gun works does great work.

I'm not recommending this particular optic but using this video as a demonstration how to manipulate a slide with the optic see 1 minute 50 seconds in

There's also a handgun that has a handle you can attach to the side of the slide but I can't remember what it is, I think its like a girsan or a Canick or something ill post it if I remember.

HK VP9 has a relatively easy to rack slide for a striker-fired pistol. Best to go to a gun store and start racking.
The S&W EZ is not a striker fired pistol. It is hammer fired with a grip safety and optional manual safety.
This is how they were able to reduce force needed to rack the slide. I see many S&W EZs at the range.
Very popular pistol.

I'm not a small guy and I work out, so for me a vp9 isn't hard to rack, but when I was helping my mom find the right pistol for home defense, I let her shoot my VP9, and she could shoot it ok but could not rack a round I to the chamber.

The VP9 has the same recoil spring as the VP40, so od have to disagree with your assessment.
I guess it is relative. To me the VP9 seemed pretty mild to rack compared to some other full size pistols. I have a P30 V1 too and that doesn't seem any easier, but does feel different due to the hammer.

The S&W EZ is not a striker fired pistol. It is hammer fired with a grip safety and optional manual safety.
This is how they were able to reduce force needed to rack the slide. I see many S&W EZs at the range.
Very popular pistol.
Yes, I bought one for my wife last year. It's actually a fun gun to shoot. Although the sights were WAY off when I got it back from the recall. Never shot it before the recall so no idea if it was off originally, but I replaced the sights anyway.

I think it might not be the easiest thing to make "easy" guns. There is a balance between function and reliability that can only be stretched so thin. Typical center fire pistol actions are semi locked breech, with some form of tilting barrel mechanism involved. Spring weights are likely something the manufacture spent a lot of time fine tuning to provide reliability as well as longevity. Too heavy, not likely going to work with all ammos. Too light, and you get more recoil impulse and wear on the gun. I would be curious to hear of a SW EZ with over 10,000 rounds through it, if it shows signs of early wear.

If it's the ease of racking the slide that's the key feature you like on these. Perhaps look into pistols that have aftermarket back plates available. Make the gun easier to manipulate via an attachment.
1637169861615.jpeg

Great replies - thanks! This is less of a question for 2021 me and more of a question for sometime-in-the-future me: I started to develop arthritis symptoms last year and although it's not problematic now, it may well become an issue eventually. I have a PX4 and can currently rack the slide on that okay. (Although I wouldn't say it's easy by any means.) Eventually, however it may become too difficult, to the point where I'll need to look for something else.

Such is life.

I have a PX4 and can currently rack the slide on that okay. (Although I wouldn't say it's easy by any means.)
A lot of it is technique, but the compact striker-fired guns are usually the worst. Less to hang onto too. My wife has mild arthritis and the issue with her was more the grip on the slide than the actual racking. Got her the S&W EZ and she has no problem. And after a little practice she didn't have a problem with a full size Glock, either.

Any compact (not sub-compact) or larger pistol in .380 should be a cinch to rack and the recoil is lighter than a 9mm. With modern ammunition it's an effective defensive weapon.
Not that anyone will, but it would be cool if a company made a full size pistol in 380. Mass of the slide would make for a light recoil spring I'd imagine.

I bought the EZ 9 when it first came out. And like Ron said, it is not a striker fired gun, it's an internal
hammer pistol. I'm ugly arthritic and that's why I took a chance and bought one. I am not disappointed.
And magazine loading is measurably easier as well. It's the only semi-auto pistol I own that my wife
can easily rack.

Any compact (not sub-compact) or larger pistol in .380 should be a cinch to rack and the recoil is lighter than a 9mm. With modern ammunition it's an effective defensive weapon.
Most compact 380 are blowback guns, so the perceived recoil is higher than a locked-breech design. There are a few locked-breech 380, but not many. The S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ is a locked-breech design, and is quite pleasant to shoot. It's also physically larger in size for a 380 pistol.

Not that anyone will, but it would be cool if a company made a full size pistol in 380. Mass of the slide would make for a light recoil spring I'd imagine.
Glock makes them, but does not sell them in this country. I always thought that was odd. There's definitely a market for them and it'd take close to zero effort on their part to make it happen.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top