JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm looking to build another AR, but in another caliber than 5.56. If you had a lower and were going to choose a different caliber what and why?

My short list of possible candidates:

- 300 AAC pistol
- 6mm ARC (when build parts are available)
- .458 socom

Well since you have the small end covered, you might as well bookend it with the 458 socom and then fill in between them as funds allow. The 458 socom turns the AR 15 into a very capable critter getter and you don't need to look any further than Tromix for all things 458 socom.

I'd build another 6.8SPC but It'd be for hunting. I've shot 3 deer with that round and it's a great round and fun to shoot. I reload so I'm not concerned with the higher cost of ammo which typically range from 70cents per round and above.

I kinda wish I built a 6.5 Grendel instead of an AR10 in 308....

it uses standard receivers and bolt carriers, (different bolts though) so its much lighter and not oversized, still packs a punch at distance if you are a hunter, and will reach out to 1000 yards, arguably easier than a .308 will. Also, steel cased ammo is getting pretty cheap, or was, for plinking and practice.

I have looked at 50 beowolf, yeah I know it's pricey ammo, and it performs on par with 458 socom and 450 bushmaster. But it's a fifty! Any of the three will likely wake up the range, and create serious caliber envy.

i will likely go with 350 legend instead, just because the economics, capacity, and ability to take game are all there.

The 6mm arc looks really interesting out past 1000 yards even, light weight, accurate. It'd probably be a while before prices come down...

7.62x39. I have a 16" upper. It's reliable with a mil spec triggers. It's been iffy with lighter triggers. I swap it around with various lowers. I also stick with 20 round magazines. It's accurate enough for me but I really haven't sat down and tried to get 1moa. Just treat it like a 22 and shoot at stuff with Tula.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top