JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why do people pay $500 for a stippling job on their $400 Glock? Because they can and have the money to do so.

Otf knives range in price. The lighting brand is a popular cheap option. Microtech is a popular higher end brand.

If you think guys who are into guns spend a lot of money you should meet the guys who are heavy into knives. The amount they spend on limited editions/knives made by certain makers is pretty astonishing.

Why do people pay $500 for a stippling job on their $400 Glock? Because they can and have the money to do so.

Otf knives range in price. The lighting brand is a popular cheap option. Microtech is a popular higher end brand.
And they think it bumps up the value until they go to sell it and realize it's still a $400 dollar Glock. Haha.

If you think guys who are into guns spend a lot of money you should meet the guys who are heavy into knives. The amount they spend on limited editions/knives made by certain makers is pretty astonishing.
Yep, I'm a nobody in the knife world, and my I've sold a good amount of knives for $500+. That's cheap for a custom. Known guys are selling stuff for thousands.

Having owned both the before mentioned Lightning OTF and multiple Microtech's, all I can tell you is that the microtech is more expensive is because the attention to detail and quality. It ejects stronger, it has no 'wiggle' at the tip like any cheaper model. The tolerances are much better. Nicer finishes, serialized, customizable. Repairable. It's like a nice watch. You go out to dinner with your Rolex, your Mont Blanc pen and wallet, your microtech and your (concealed).

Having owned both the before mentioned Lightning OTF and multiple Microtech's, all I can tell you is that the microtech is more expensive is because the attention to detail and quality. It ejects stronger, it has no 'wiggle' at the tip like any cheaper model. The tolerances are much better. Nicer finishes, serialized, customizable. Repairable. It's like a nice watch. You go out to dinner with your Rolex, your Mont Blanc pen and wallet, your microtech and your (concealed).
Is your (concealed) a Glock? :D

I EDC a Benchmade Infidel. I find the question in the OP odd. There are plenty of >$300 knives that are fixed, folders, autos and so forth. Why does it matter? Pay for quality or don't. Carry an OTF or don't. Choices are gooooood.

I use a Benchmade infidel at work every day doing HVAC. I really like the high quality steel, I can drive it over to them for repairs and sharpening although I touch up the edges every month myself, but most importantly.....the ease of opening with one hand while my other holds a ladder is useful. I don't baby mine at all, and the high price tag has been with the performance. I only have one though because I think the price is high for a normal non knife collector.

If you play your cards right, you can pick up a decent Automatic Knife Company (AKC) X-treme EVO OTF for about $100.00 shipped to your door from Blade HQ.

treme-EVO-OTF-Auto-Green-Satin-BHQ-105417-jr-large.jpg

This new automatic model "EVO", short for EVOLUTION, is the modern version of an old OTF Angelo Campolin Sr. made in the 1970s for the Solingen/Germany company named Othello.

EVO is made with modern materials and an aggressive Italian design. These are made with Japanese (Hitachi) AUS-8 steel with an HRC (Rockwell Hardness) of 58-59. This keeps the cost low. The blade will take a keen edge and hold it reasonably well.

The Spear Point blade on this particular model has a satin finish. It isn't just a "fidget toy" or "toad stabber" but a useful blade profile. These come with a pocket clip keeping the unit handy for daily cutting chores as well as light-duty use.

I find it convenient.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top