JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
From tonights <broken link removed>
A student group at Oregon State University plans to promote gun rights with activities next week, including a rally for the right of concealed handgun license holders to be armed on campus.

The rally, featuring Portland radio commentator Lars Larson, is set for 5 p.m. April 16 in the quad on campus.

From tonights <broken link removed>
a rally for the right of concealed handgun license holders to be armed on campus.

Didn't this get addressed with the WOU case? State law says that ONLY the state can make rulings regarding possesion of firearms so a school can not say a CHL holder cannot carry. I am glad they are protesting but isthat the main thing it is based on?

Didn't this get addressed with the WOU case? State law says that ONLY the state can make rulings regarding possesion of firearms so a school can not say a CHL holder cannot carry. I am glad they are protesting but isthat the main thing it is based on?

The WOU case still hasn't actually gone to trail as far as I know...

Yup did drop the charges but he is still kicked out for doing nothing wrong. I think the rally is geared to school policy not state "law".

While the person in question may have been well within his rights and the law; (sadly, not always the same thing) there is little to prevent the school from making his life as hard as possible.

If nothing else, even with all charges being dropped and everything "going away" the school has still won a victory. It has demonstrated the willingness and ability to significantly inconvenience and harass a law-abiding citizen acting within the confines of the law; simply for being a responsible gun owner that has chosen to take personal responsibility for his safety and the safety of others.

I think the "timing" aspect is moot. How many people do you think would have been killed if just ONE person was carrying? One side could argue: "zero, if guns were illegal, then he would not have been able to get one" [yeah, right...] The other side could argue "zero, or maybe one. He would have been shot himself by the person(s) with a CHL and been prevented from slaughtering another dozen innocent people unopposed". Neither side is really going to change the others mind, we can only hope the people that believe in personal protection instead of reliance on Federal and State agencies will be elected to lead.

Timing is moot? I don't think so.

"One side could argue..." Yeah, they could. The "other" side can argue to the extreme other end, too. So what.

The 3 police officers killed in Philadelphia were all carrying at the time.

The 3 police officers killed in Philadelphia were all carrying at the time.

You are absolutely correct; carrying a gun is not an instant "I Win!" button for all Bad Things. However, not carrying and being completely dependent upon the Police and the goodwill of others is not exactly the most tactically sound course either. This is not said to put down LEO's, it's just a simple admission that they cannot be everywhere all the time, and that in a lot of situations an armed civilian (or 3, or 3) can make the difference between a CNN headline and a blurb on page 5.

No problem there... I have a CHL.

But people need to be realistic about things and not make statements such as "(it's a possibility) no one would have been killed", etc. Conjecture can easily be parried by conjecture in the other direction.

We should be making reasonable, well-made & researched arguments.

I agree Ocelot, but pretty much anything said after the fact is conjecture and opinion. Taking apart incidents piece by piece can be useful, if only to better prepare someone for "the next one".

However, I still believe it is a valid point to argue that casualties could have been minimized or non-existent had someone been armed (other than the assailant). By carrying; open or concealed, one makes this argument by action in that IF something were to happen, there WOULD be someone else there with a firearm.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top