JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see OSP FICS continues with its "big lie".

What am I talking about? I will use some real facts/figures to support my contention.

The OCS FICS website has this info: At the OCS FICS web page under the hot link "Possible Background Check Results" it states:

One of the following 3 determinations will be provided within 30 minutes or less to the transferor at the time the background check is requested, as required by Oregon law.
1. APPROVED: OSP will provide the transferor with a unique approval number indicating that the purchaser is qualified to complete the transfer. (Approximately 96% of backgrounds are approved within minutes of initiation)
2. DENIED: OSP will notify the transferor that the purchaser is denied. No further information is provided to the transferor. (Approximately 1% of backgrounds are denied within minutes of initiation)
3. PEND/DELAY: If OSP is unable to determine if the purchaser is qualified or disqualified within 30 minutes of the request, OSP is required to notify the transferor and provide an estimate of the time when OSP will complete the background check. (Approximately 3 % are placed in pend/delay status at the time the check is initiated due to missing information about a potential disqualification)
That 3 percent number is also repeated in the "Outline for Fireams Background Check in Oregon, What Can I expect" fable they publish. Those are the ones that end up in the que.
Ok lets look at that...96 percent instant approval, 1 percent denied and 3 percent go to the pend delay.
OK, fine, now lets look at NICS data for 2022 that shows Oregon Monthly checks submitted. Now prior to November the average was roughly 32,000 a month. I'm gonna assume FICS was able to process those ok as 3 percent of 32,000 is 960 so as long as they did 30-35 a day they would keep up.
Now the big month of November 2022, we (Oregon) jumped to 91,661 checks submitted. So 3 percent of that is 2749 in the delay/que line. Ok lets do December as well, total December checks 76,437, 3 percent equals 2293. So if we add those two months together we get a total of 5042. Ok, so if OSP FICS did absolutely no work the entire month of November and December and process NO background checks (other than allow the automatic instant checks) there would have been approximately 5042 in the que....anyone remember a que of 42,000 sometime in mid December? Something just a wee bit fishy here.

For those FFLs selling/transferring firearms, look at it this way, of every 30 folks submitting a background check in your place of business, only 1 would go to the que and 29 would get instant approvals. That is what would happen if the lies OSP FICS is spreading were true.

Ok lets get really extreme, take the entire preceding 10 months and assume OSP FICS did absolutely no work the entire year (only allowed the 96 percent instant check), well the total for 2022 was 495,842 checks submitted, 3 percent of that is only 14,875. So if they did absolutely no processing the entire year the que would only be 14,875 IF you assume their lie of 96 percent instant approval and only 3 percent in the pending.

Why do they perpetuate this lie? Perhaps to perpetuate their existence, and conceal the total program failure in the event any fiscal folks want to check their operations. In reality they are a complete waste of taxpayer monies as the direct FFL to NICS would cost the State nothing and return an ACTUAL 90 percent instant check.

the total for 2022 was 495,842 checks submitted

Why do they perpetuate this lie? Perhaps to perpetuate their existence, and conceal the total program failure in the event any fiscal folks want to check their operations. In reality they are a complete waste of taxpayer monies as the direct FFL to NICS would cost the State nothing and return an ACTUAL 90 percent instant check.
In 2022, there were 495,842 BGCs, at $10 per check, that's $4,958,420 to the state. They have less than 20 employees, so an average of $50k per year employee costs the State $150k (approximately), or roughly $3M to employee a staff of 20.

In 2022, there were 495,842 BGCs, at $10 per check, that's $4,958,420 to the state. They have less than 20 employees, so an average of $50k per year employee costs the State $150k (approximately), or roughly $3M to employee a staff of 20.
Double that to include benefits, including future (unfunded) retirement costs. :rolleyes:

The unfunded future liabilities are the kicker for the public sector. They don't show up in normal reporting, so they have to be determined by detective work. It's all part of the plan. It is a "boil the frog" plan.

beating a dead horse wtf GIF

They have less than 20 employees,
Their 2021 report states they have 30 permanent staff, plus in 2021 they were authorized to fund additional 17 positions. Actual costs to fund this boondoggle is not my point, it's the misrepresentation and lies they tell as far as clearing background checks.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top