JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since I've had my CHL (about 6 years) I've been pulled over about 5 times and only once did they not ask about my CHL. The other 4 times they did none of the officers told me it was required to tell them I had a CHL but did say it would be in my best interest to do so in the future. I smile, nod, and don't get any more harassment about it. I know that arguing with them won't get me anywhere.

The issue is about this specific incident.

I don't paint all cops as jack-booted thugs. -Far from it, I know too many people in LE to believe that.

But ya, it's unprofessional and unacceptable for a LEO to abuse someone they've pulled over for a minor traffic infraction and tell them they are in violation of a law that doesn't exist, all the while holding them in place under color of law.

I could introduce you to some Chiefs of Police and senior LE people who suspend one of their officers for that crap. COPS don't think it's OK. Because it's not. It's abuse of authority and unprofessional behavior.

So we all know that the officer in this instance did not know her laws very well.

But, The OP chose not to extend a courtesy (disclosing that he has a CHL) and then has the nerve to complain that she didn't extend any courtesy to him?

Really? You chose to "make a point" and then complain that she wasn't happy with that? What would it have "cost" you to tell her? How much time did you spend sitting on the side of the road presumably because you didn't tell her?

This has NOTHING to do with rights. This has to do that you were looking to see if you could get a rise out of the officer. You did. Now quit whining.

We also know that CHL holders have passed a background check and should be free from scrutiny, but you are not the one that's out there wearing a target (uniform).

I've had a CHL in the State of Oregon for over 20 years. When I have been pulled over it's the first thing I've told the officer and it has done nothing but showed respect and then that respect has been returned.

So we all know that the officer in this instance did not know her laws very well.

But, The OP chose not to extend a courtesy (disclosing that he has a CHL) and then has the nerve to complain that she didn't extend any courtesy to him?

Really? You chose to "make a point" and then complain that she wasn't happy with that? What would it have "cost" you to tell her? How much time did you spend sitting on the side of the road presumably because you didn't tell her?

This has NOTHING to do with rights. This has to do that you were looking to see if you could get a rise out of the officer. You did. Now quit whining.

We also know that CHL holders have passed a background check and should be free from scrutiny, but you are not the one that's out there wearing a target (uniform).

I've had a CHL in the State of Oregon for over 20 years. When I have been pulled over it's the first thing I've told the officer and it has done nothing but showed respect and then that respect has been returned.

Did you even read the OP? Or is it just Friday night and you've had a few too many?

The OP WASN'T CARRYING A GUN. He wasn't armed! there were no firearms in the car!

He's supposed to inform the officer in question that he has a CHL even if he's unarmed? Are you fricking insane? This would be taken by most LE officers I know to be a threat.

He had no duty to inform under any law or precedent whatever. He was abused by some dipstick for failing to inform her that he had a license to exercise a right he wasn't even exercising?
I've been carrying ever day for 25+ years. I've been pulled over (I think twice) during that time with no issues. Telling a LEO that you have a PERMIT to carry but no GUN is tantamount to threatening the officer. Ask any LEO what they think of that statement and they will assume the same.

The OP did exactly the right thing. The officer in question behaved like a thug.

You sir, need to sober up or get your head examined.

He's supposed to inform the officer in question that he has a CHL even if he's unarmed? Are you fricking insane? This would be taken by most LE officers I know to be a threat.

I got my first ticket in 23 years just a bit ago. The officer asked for my drivers licence, so I pulled out both my drivers lic. and my concealed card card, handed them over at the same time and said "Here you are, and I'm not carrying officer, in the car or on my person". He seemed appreciative and thanked me....but I still got the ticket:).

He banged out the ticket pretty fast, thanked me and wished me well. Not saying that there are not thugs in the police force, just that a bit of preplanning and pleasantries can get everyone through a stressful moment and on their way in a much better mood.

I don't have a problem with telling a cop I'm carrying. They are always a little on edge because they don't know who they are meeting. But if I wasn't carrying and didn't have my license on me, I would see no reason to.

I know the law doesn't require it, but the cop is going to find out you have a permit and why not put them at ease up front? "Officer, I have a CHL and I have a gun at 4:00. You are in absolutely no danger from me. Is there anything I can do to make you more comfortable?" I've done that a couple of times and got nothing but courtesy in return.

BTW many here know I don't like most cops AT ALL but I also don't like hassling with them.

$.02

All that *** kissing is only going to get you a face full of BUBBLEGUM,self censored.

Did you even read the OP? Or is it just Friday night and you've had a few too many?

The OP WASN'T CARRYING A GUN. He wasn't armed! there were no firearms in the car!

He had no duty to inform under any law or precedent whatever. He was abused by some dipstick for failing to inform her that he had a license to exercise a right he wasn't even exercising?
I've been carrying ever day for 25+ years. I've been pulled over (I think twice) during that time with no issues. Telling a LEO that you have a PERMIT to carry but no GUN is tantamount to threatening the officer. Ask any LEO what they think of that statement and they will assume the same.

The OP did exactly the right thing. The officer in question behaved like a thug.

You sir, need to sober up or get your head examined.

You don't know me or anything about me, so I suggest you keep the personal comments to yourself.
I read everything he said. Nothing I said referred to the fact that I was carrying of not. I respond to the police the same way if I'm carrying or not.

If he did the "right" thing, then why was he sitting on the side of the road for longer than was truly needed?

Your comment about the "LE officers you know taking this as a threat" is what's insane.

Let's see, "I have a CHL but I am not currently carrying". What kind of threat could that possibly be?

No, that's a courtesy. That's all.

Some people go out of their way to make a stand that will never get them anywhere. That's what the OP did, IMO.

You, MisterBill, don't like my opinion? That's cool, but don't insult me (whom you don't know) based on YOUR opinions.

You don't know me or anything about me, so I suggest you keep the personal comments to yourself.
I read everything he said. Nothing I said referred to the fact that I was carrying of not. I respond to the police the same way if I'm carrying or not.

If he did the "right" thing, then why was he sitting on the side of the road for longer than was truly needed?

Your comment about the "LE officers you know taking this as a threat" is what's insane.

Let's see, "I have a CHL but I am not currently carrying". What kind of threat could that possibly be?

No, that's a courtesy. That's all.

Some people go out of their way to make a stand that will never get them anywhere. That's what the OP did, IMO.

You, MisterBill, don't like my opinion? That's cool, but don't insult me (whom you don't know) based on YOUR opinions.
You stated that he deserved ( don't try and weasel, that's in essence what you said) what he got because he didn't disclose that he had a CPL and WAS CARRYING NO GUNS. WTF? There is no courtesy involved.

A courtesy is when you tell the cop pullling you over that you are carrying and are licensed to do so, so please don't react like it's a felony stop.

THAT, sir, is courtesy.

But that's not enough for you. Heck no, according to your wisdom you must inform that you are merely LICENSED to carry a CW.

You must not know very many cops or you're one of the very few LEOs I know who have an absolute case of the *** for anyone who DOES exercise their God given rights guaranteed under the constitution.

If you tell a cop when you're pulled over for a speeding violation that you're NOT armed, nor is any gun in the car, but hey, you're LICENSED to carry a gun, that's going to not be taken very nicely by most cops I know. And yes, I know quite a few since I've been working with LE for decades....

You have no obligation whatever to inform a Oregon SP that you have a CHL. NONE-NADA-NOTHING.

If she held the OP there and railed against him for failing to inform, and WRONGFULLY, under COLOR OF LAW told him that he HAD committed a crime, that's woefully unprofessional AT THE LEAST.

I am probably a LOT better informed than you are ( I instruct cops, so don't tell me my business unless you can provide a badge or license# TYVM!) as well as informed on how police agencies work. This crap wouldn't fly past any agency chief I deal with for one second. The officer involved would have been reprimanded and/or suspended.

The OP was right. The OSP officer involved was DEAD WRONG.

Period, end of story. And no, your BS doesn't make it any better.

It amuses me when some are very casual about the officer not knowing the law he or she is sworn to uphold. One of the favorite sayings I have heard from officers is that ignorance of the law is no excuse. I think they should be held to at least the same standard as the average citizen. Police officers are employed to uphold existing, written law. They are not employed to pull law out of their *** alongside the road.

Refreshing to hear that my 'blank check" comment (risking your life to protect others) was so blithely dismissed. Sure makes me warm and fuzzy to recall that I went to war to do the same...guess you feel the same about me and my compadres...but you know what? We didn't do it to get positive feedback from y'all (thank God, 'cause it would be a long time coming.) We did and continue to do it because its simply the right thing to do. So continue to whine and complain, knowing that there are others out there willing to sacrifice on your behalf, which, as it turns out, helps ensure your right to be miserable and complain!

I figured someone like you would see it that way. YOU ARE so far off of what happened.....I am not going to go second by second as to what happened but I never carry in A work vehicle and it wasn't even on my mind when I gave her my drivers lic and insurance info.....besides why would a CHL carrier upset an officer to the point of putting her hand on the grip of the gun and chewing me a new one .....I Wasn't trying to prove anything ...........YOU NEED to give it a rest!

Refreshing to hear that my 'blank check" comment (risking your life to protect others) was so blithely dismissed. Sure makes me warm and fuzzy to recall that I went to war to do the same...guess you feel the same about me and my compadres...but you know what? We didn't do it to get positive feedback from y'all (thank God, 'cause it would be a long time coming.) We did and continue to do it because its simply the right thing to do. So continue to whine and complain, knowing that there are others out there willing to sacrifice on your behalf, which, as it turns out, helps ensure your right to be miserable and complain!

Thank you for your service, my family and I appreciate it very much.

Thank you for your service. You fought to keep this country free. I have the highest of high respect for those who served in our military.

I guess I am not fully understanding the "blank check" comment.

Are you saying that because a police officer CHOOSES to do a somewhat dangerous job, that they are granted license to act as a dictator, and treat the public that employs them badly?

This thread is a very interesting read. LAW ENFORCMENT OFFICER call me crazy but that seems pretty straight foreward. It might actually be a good idea if you are employed to enforce a law that you know that particular law. Strange how in the private sector a employee would get fired for not being compent at their titled job. Yes I am a plumber oh I am sorry no I dont know what kind of pipe that is or what purpose it serves (FIRED). Yes I am a cook no I have no idea what temprature to cook that steak at ( FIRED). Yes I am an accountant no I am sorry I cant add 2 and 2 (Fired). Yes i am an law enforcement officer
and you should allow me to make up laws that don't exist, oh and by the way while I am doing this I expect some respect and
gratitude it ain't easy to make this crap up day in and day out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top