JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Should OSHA require sound suppressors on all fire arms?? Britians OSHA does so I've heard. This is to protect the shooters hearing.
Any one have a problem with protecting your hearing?
How can sound suppressors be dangerious, so dangerious that they need to be regestered with ATF? :confused:

Should OSHA require sound suppressors on all fire arms?? Britians OSHA does so I've heard. This is to protect the shooters hearing.
Any one have a problem with protecting your hearing?
How can sound suppressors be dangerious, so dangerious that they need to be regestered with ATF? :confused:

It REALLY is past time that law was overturned.
Anyone that is going to break the law with one is going to do it anyway.
The rest of us might have saved our hearing with them.

Tell me this - how can OSHA mandate anything for private citizens in their off time? OSHA - Occupational Safety and Health Administration - they might be able to require suppressors on weapons for certain types of employees that are required to be armed at work - but the argument can easily be made that the bulk and extra length of a suppressor, on a pistol at least, can be a dangerous hindrance to safety for someone who needs fast access and action of their pistol - ie police and security personnel. The extra 4-8 inches of a suppressor would not only make the draw more difficult and slow, but would present problems when trying to sit down in a vehicle. Not practical. Suppressed rifles would be more useful and immediately usable.

Not likely that OSHA, or any other government agency will "require" suppressed weapons (except for certain clandestine military ops or something) - and as much as I'd like to see it - I doubt we'll see a repeal or major positive changes to the NFA any time soon.

$$$$$$$$$$$$ - $200 a pop x a huge surge in suppressor purchases in the last 10 years ... lots of revenue.

Of course there is no reason whatever to have to register suppressors outside of handing over cash. You should be able to buy them at Fishermans next to the ammo.

We have a new option for pushing removal of Suppressors from the NFA. Put them under Obamacare. Here me out before you all jump me...

Burt, you mentioned in a previous post that you had suffered some permanent hearing damage from your past shooting experiences. I think that qualifies as a pre-existing condition doesn't it? Shouldn't Obamacare provide you with a Suppressor free of charge to address this unfair hearing deficit? That's the only way to cover your pre-existing condition and prevent it from getting worse. It's a public health concern! And lets not forget how "fair" this would be (since that's the latest measurement they seem to be using).

I think we could push this issue as another way to point out the lunacy of both the NFA and Obamacare simultaneously.

We would need to rename them to something like "hearing damage prevention devices" so that the politically correct and pig ignorant folks would jump on board with us. It just might work. Those idiots never pay attention to actual facts or details. This would get the emotional vote in a heartbeat.

I believe the British OSHA started this for police, military, competition shooters or anyone who spent a lot of time at a rifle range. The rule from what I understood was not for the once a year shooter.

My friend's dad is in his late 80s and is a Pearl survivor. He got his hearing wasted by the 16" guns. The gov won't even pay for his hearing aids. So I won't hold my breath.

Gov is a parasite. It takes, and rarely gives anything meaningful back. It is kind of like a slot machine. It might kick a few coins back now and then to deceive you into believing you have something to gain by being around it. http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/...t-obamacare-is-going-to-wreck-the-u-s-economy

My friend's dad is in his late 80s and is a Pearl survivor. He got his hearing wasted by the 16" guns. The gov won't even pay for his hearing aids. So I won't hold my breath.

Gov is a parasite. It takes, and rarely gives anything meaningful back. It is kind of like a slot machine. It might kick a few coins back now and then to deceive you into believing you have something to gain by being around it.

That is very strange.
I lost most of mine in the Corps and they gave me a set that cost close to 6 or 7 K.
I could not have bought them myself and wouldn't have due to the cost.
The VA also covers glasses and pretty good medical service.
Why did they say they would not help him?????
Very very unusual.
VA is about the only good thing about gov today.

The lawyers must not be able to make money from loss of hearing claims. More than 30 years in construction and I don't recall hearing protection being an OSHA thing.

The lawyers must not be able to make money from loss of hearing claims. More than 30 years in construction and I don't recall hearing protection being an OSHA thing.

I do believe that over a certain exposure level hearing pro is required to be provided by the employer, but use is up to the employee unless mandated by the employer. That being said my employer offers foam ear plugs and several co workers wear them , they push them in their ears just enough they dont fall out, and I'm sure it dampens the noise, but they aren't worn correctly and aren't as effective as they should be.
I wear ear plugs if I'm going to be in a loud location for any period of time or I'm welding or cutting with a torch, hot slag in your inner ear isn't something I ever want to experience.

I do believe that over a certain exposure level hearing pro is required to be provided by the employer, but use is up to the employee unless mandated by the employer. That being said my employer offers foam ear plugs and several co workers wear them , they push them in their ears just enough they dont fall out, and I'm sure it dampens the noise, but they aren't worn correctly and aren't as effective as they should be.
I wear ear plugs if I'm going to be in a loud location for any period of time or I'm welding or cutting with a torch, hot slag in your inner ear isn't something I ever want to experience.

Protection over a certain decible level it is required that employees wear them while on the job.
Lately many employers are pre testing new hires in noisy jobs to protect themselves. Too many hearing loss claims where hearing was bad before they started work.

Hearing protection for employees is definitely in OSHA regulations. So is respiratory and eye protection.
They basically control the actions of all employers in regard to employees. Fall protection, ladders, stairs, chemical protection, and everything else.
Also the inspectors Have an ability to do what generally requires the legislature. Its called the "General Duty Clause" they can literally write a law on the spot for anything they feel is an employee health hazard.
Yes I am serious.
They are the only agency that has that broad of authority.
Most OSHA fines are in the tens of thousands and up to a million if they feel the need.
Why do you think employers panic over OSHA inspections. The inspectors spend most of their time monitoring the construction trades and big industry. So if they visit a smaller business, it is almost always because of a complaint, and generally it takes several complaints.
Many states have federal OSHA, but if a state can set up an agency to be equal to or greater than federal standards, the feds turn over control to the state.
In Oregon we have "Oregon OSHA"
They have no control over citizens, only businesses with employees.

I work for a Paving and site development company and our guys are trained in how to use hearing protection and all the equipment operators and the guys who work on the ground around equipment use at least foamies. Every year at our big Start Up meeting they go over how to properly use them and every year twice a year we have our hearing tested.

I work for a Paving and site development company and our guys are trained in how to use hearing protection and all the equipment operators and the guys who work on the ground around equipment use at least foamies. Every year at our big Start Up meeting they go over how to properly use them and every year twice a year we have our hearing tested.

I worked for a transmission rebuilding center. It was pretty noisy in the shop and especially in the parts washer area. OSHA came in and put decibel recorders on some of the techs. Based on what was recorded they made different requirements for sections of the shop.

I don't see why a suppressor is a taxed/registered device, either.

I worked for a transmission rebuilding center. It was pretty noisy in the shop and especially in the parts washer area. OSHA came in and put decibel recorders on some of the techs. Based on what was recorded they made different requirements for sections of the shop.

I don't see why a suppressor is a taxed/registered device, either.

Liberal paranoia and the control mentality.

Just like West Side Story got switchblades banned. Most knife related crimes are committed with kitchen knives. I collect auto knives, however, I would much prefer a kitchen carving knife over any switchblade as a weapon. But evil switchblades are not politically correct, regardless on how much sense it does not make.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top