JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've come to the decision that I need an oscillating tool. Looks like DeWalt, Rockwell, Porter Cable, Dremel and Bosch are the common brands (other than Fein, which is really expensive). Any recommendations? I'm currently leaning towards Rockwell as it has good reviews and has a solid case (which I like). Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Last Edited:
I own the Rockwell product. Incredible tool. Originally figured I'd buy the Fein product, but for 1/3 the cost, I'm very pleased with the Rockwell.

Rockwell, for sure! Handy, easy and quick to change blades. Most important, really powerful!!! Just for yucks I cut a 2X4 in half.
2X4 didn't stand a chance!:D

BTW, The Dremel is seriously underpowered! It is more of a hobby tool!

I have an Fein oscillating saw/sander. They're nice. I USE mine almost every week.
A Jap-Saw (for cutting) will do the same thing. Make a wooden handle on a band-saw to accept the blade, then shape the blades to the size needed ;)

If I were to buy a different brand, it'd be a Bosch. I've seen most manufacturers in operation over the past 10 years.

I also have a Makita 1-1/8" belt sander in my bag of goodies. Another "sweet" tool if you have the need.

Last Edited:
I own the Rockwell product. Incredible tool. Originally figured I'd buy the Fein product, but for 1/3 the cost, I'm very pleased with the Rockwell.

Rockwell, for sure! Handy, easy and quick to change blades. Most important, really powerful!!! Just for yucks I cut a 2X4 in half.
2X4 didn't stand a chance!:D

BTW, The Dremel is seriously underpowered! It is more of a hobby tool!

Which Rockwell products do you own? Looks like there are 2.5, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 amp models.

This is the one I'm looking at.

I have the RK5108K. 2.3 Amp. I did a lot of research when I bought it, and this is the only model that I knew they made at the time. I'm also surprised, the 4.0 amp model now costs less than my 2.3 amp model did. So there must be differences other than just the amp rating, or the price has really gone down on oscillating tools.

For cutting trim, as in cabinets, baseboards, plunge cuts, etc., it is amazing. Makes the cut so cleanly, sanding is not even required. And although it's certainly not designed to cut 2x4's, I have also used it for that, when it was easier to do so than running to get another saw.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
Why? If you have a major project or several lined up that is one thing.

Or if like me - just a little trim once every few years -
I got a Chicago. That is the house brand for Harbor Freight.

I've bought a few things from Harbor Freight. I have a couple 4 1/2" grinders (one with a grinding wheel and one with a cutoff wheel) that work pretty well. But this is a somewhat precision tool, so I'd like to buy quality.

This thread caused me to do some research. Seems my Rockwell SoniCrafter RK5108K was an early one, and is no longer manufactured. And all the subsequent models are higher-amped. And at the same time the newer models cost less. So if I am well pleased with my 2.3 Amp version, a 4 Amp model should perform like a turbo V-8.:D

OP...Ifns you wanted to give mine a try, I could make it available to you for a test drive before you buy one.

WAYNO.

This thread caused me to do some research. Seems my Rockwell SoniCrafter RK5108K was an early one, and is no longer manufactured. And all the subsequent models are higher-amped. And at the same time the newer models cost less. So if I am well pleased with my 2.3 Amp version, a 4 Amp model should perform like a turbo V-8.:D

OP...Ifns you wanted to give mine a try, I could make it available to you for a test drive before you buy one.

WAYNO.

I'll do you one better WAYNO, I just ordered the 4.0 amp model and it will be here on Wednesday. We can have a saw-off!

I too have a Chicago (Harbor Freight) and it works just fine. I did buy extra blades from Lowes and those have lasted longer than the ones that came with it. I only use it once in a while and didnt see the need to spend $100+ when $30 would do what I needed it to.

I have Rockwell. Their top of the line.
I caught it on sale when it was 33% off. It made sense to buy the high powered one for that much of a discount.
I use it for all kinds of stuff. Super handy.

I have Rockwell. Their top of the line.
I caught it on sale when it was 33% off. It made sense to buy the high powered one for that much of a discount.
I use it for all kinds of stuff. Super handy.

Yes! One of the best power tools I've ever purchased. Immensely useful, especially with the kind of work I've been doing restoring my old fiberglass boat. Worth every penny!

Mmm..... I really thought "Oscillating tool" was some kind of joke

I got an oscillating tool for ya right here :D

Really though, I am a blacksmith. Doesn't seem to fit in my world very well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top