JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, I can see the moderator's lock coming to this thread. Better get in a last word.

I'm California native and just moved in from the SF Bay area, but my father is from Dillard, Oregon and taught me right regarding pronunciation.

Given the number of Californians moving in with less tolerance for firearms (once saw an open letter from an SF type inviting her buddies in to create a new SF in Portland), I thought the spelling might be a protest.

Sequim--been there, done that. Skwim. Also figured out Philomath and Scio and got clued in on Chemeteka today.

I will stick with my umbrella, but then I've always been a straight leg pant type in a bellbottom world.

California used to have attendants who pumped gas in the 50s. While I enjoy the service, a friend with an expensive car feels differently.

i know the spelling has been out for a while but former oregon ducks qb joey harrington came out with the "orygun" spelling as a joke that we see on stickers or duck t shirts because when the team would go out of state for games people (especially lou holtz of cbs sports and espn) would pronounce our states name incorrectly. i've heard people say oriegone and ariegone. nah its orygun for sure

You know, when I end up having to go to Oregon for something, the gas station attendants never hassle me about pumping my own fuel..

The station can be shut down and fined 500.00 for one person doing this. Even motorcycles are not allowed by law but everyone does it. I used to manage service stations for McCall Oil company and knew of two stations shut down for a week due to allowing people to pump there own gas.

It did not send my post through GGGRRRRRR!!!!!!
Oh well
I heard that if an attendant removes the nozzle a customer can pump it BUT an attendant has to replace the nozzle as well...... Just what I was told when I worked in service stations..... AND... where can I get an OREGON BORDER PATROL HAT? lol thats awesome

My dad told me that a Governor i think it was Tom McCall that put a sign on I5 saying and i am paraphrasing this " Welcome to Oregon. Fine if you visit just done move here"

My dad told me that a Governor i think it was Tom McCall that put a sign on I5 saying and i am paraphrasing this " Welcome to Oregon. Fine if you visit just done move here"
Quotes
"We want you to visit our State of Excitement often. Come again and again. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live. Or if you do have to move in to live, don't tell any of your neighbors where you are going." (1971)

The station can be shut down and fined 500.00 for one person doing this. Even motorcycles are not allowed by law but everyone does it. I used to manage service stations for McCall Oil company and knew of two stations shut down for a week due to allowing people to pump there own gas.
Not completely true...anymore.
ORS480.330 from House Bill 3885 allows the operator of a motorcycle the option to pump their own fuel into the motorcycle and became effective Jan 1, 2002. Technically the attendant is supposed to hand the nozzle to the motorcyclist to fuel the motorcycle and then the motorcyclist is supposed to return the nozzle to the attendant to ensure "proper completion of the fueling operation".
I have a car that has a fuel cel in the trunk. I don't allow the pump jockey to fuel that car and I've never had any one of them give me any grief about it.

There were a series of Orygun books. (not sure on the exact spelling) They are worth the read, funny.

Oregonian don't tan, they rust.

In Portland you can tell when it is going to rain, the sound of a thousand umbrella opening up.

We have Culture in Oregon, they Yogurt factory in Tillamook.

Or they went something like that.

Oh yes, what follows two days of rain in Oregon?

A: Monday.

There were a series of Orygun books. (not sure on the exact spelling) They are worth the read, funny.

Oregonian don't tan, they rust.

In Portland you can tell when it is going to rain, the sound of a thousand umbrella opening up.

We have Culture in Oregon, they Yogurt factory in Tillamook.

Or they went something like that.

Oh yes, what follows two days of rain in Oregon?

A: Monday.

I have a book called Oregon's Best Jokes that is really similar.

What do you call 2 days of rain? A weekend.
What did the Oregonian say to the Pillsbury Doughboy? Nice Tan.

Not completely true...anymore.
ORS480.330 from House Bill 3885 allows the operator of a motorcycle the option to pump their own fuel into the motorcycle and became effective Jan 1, 2002. Technically the attendant is supposed to hand the nozzle to the motorcyclist to fuel the motorcycle and then the motorcyclist is supposed to return the nozzle to the attendant to ensure "proper completion of the fueling operation".
I have a car that has a fuel cel in the trunk. I don't allow the pump jockey to fuel that car and I've never had any one of them give me any grief about it.

The gas jockies get upset when I tell them to fuel my bikes even had a kid in Portland refuse to fuel my bike (company policy). Alot of them even want me to fill my 55 and 63 and get annoyed/nervous when I tell them to.

Which doesn't apply if you are an Oregonian shopping in Washington state. Show your driver's license and you are tax exempt.

Well not really, its up to the individual retailer.
Directly from the State of Washington RCW 82.08.0273: Exemptions
(4)(a) Nothing in this section requires the vendor to make tax exempt retail sales to nonresidents. A vendor may choose to make sales to nonresidents, collect the sales tax, and remit the amount of sales tax collected to the state as otherwise provided by law. If the vendor chooses to make a sale to a nonresident without collecting the sales tax, the vendor must examine the purchaser's proof of nonresidence, determine whether the proof is acceptable under subsection (3)(b) of this section, and maintain records for each nontaxable sale which shall show the type of proof accepted, including any identification numbers where appropriate, and the expiration date, if any

This is something that has been misconstrued for a long time.

<broken link removed>

Used to hear that all the time, but it was 'Welcome to California, now go home"

People in the South hate when people from the Northern states move there.
Californians hated Eastcoasters moving in.
Oregon and Washington hate the Californians.
Hawiians hate mainlanders moving there.
I've got a good friend, Oregon native, that moved to Alaska, got treated like s h i t by the locals. He moved back.
It doesn't matter where you are from, someone hates you, because of where you are from.
I HAAAAATED California, still do. Not really a choice of mine on where I was born.
Mom and Dad moved there from Massachusetts. Dads family came from Denmark, Moms from Scotland.
I understand why you don't want us here, the majority of Cali's are buttheads, trust me, I know.
My neighbors are from Montana, Illinios, Japan, Texas, Oregon,and Virginia. Kind of a mixed bunch.

Don't hate someone for where they are born, they don't have a choice. Hate them for their crappy mentality that they brought with them.
I'm a gun toting Republican, drive a pick-up, ride a Harley, have a family history of loggers, mill workers, and teachers, drive a truck for a living, drink my coffee black, don't own an umbrella, hate hippies, and, was born in California.
Oregon just seamed like a good place to raise a family. It fits me.

Last Edited:
It seems to me that U of O began using this spelling back in the 70's and still use it today.

2ntwg1i.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top