JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm starting a side business teaching concealed handgun license classes in my area since nobody seems to do it. I was reading the ORS relating to the issuance of concealed handgun licenses and section 1F seems to outline that some form of firearms training is required. The section that I believe applies to me is subsection C which states;

Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course.

ORS 166.291 - Issuance of concealed handgun license - 2015 Oregon Revised Statutes

Obviously I have to be qualified to talk about some things such as the legal aspects of concealed carry or else I open the door to vicarious liability. I currently work as a law enforcement officer in my region of the state and worked in armed security for many years prior to this so I have a pretty good understanding of Oregon's use of force laws as they pertain to civilians.

If I am understanding this section correctly, would I be able to write my own CHL curriculum and teach it as long as I obtained an NRA instructor certification?

Currently, all you have to do is teach the safe and competent handling of a handgun, that's it. You do not (currently) have to teach (nor do CHL applicants have to learn) the pertinent ORS to the use of deadly force. You do not (currently) have to teach marksmanship or conduct live-fire training (nor do CHL applicants have to learn or perform it).

It's available to sit through an online correspondence course, take the test, and print out the certificate, and submit that with your CHL application.

;)

I was going thru some stuff today and noticed my military records on top of a bunch of other stuff - specifically my DD214 page (not the little card you can get now).

It listed several firearms schools, one specifically stating that fact - "five days small arms training". I forget which schools exactly I had, but I remember one with other LE students (including WA state King Co. police officers) that included "shoot, don't shoot" training and lethal force training. Another, when I was stationed in Oregon, was "arrest techniques" taught by the OSP.

If I show that to the WA county sheriff's office, is that sufficient that they will accept it as "training"?

IMO it should be.

If your DD214 states you were trained with a handgun, yes the DD214 is good to go.

The schools don't specifically state handgun (the small arms training was specifically handgun only but it doesn't state that), but the 'medals section says I qualified as "Sharpshooter: .45 Pistol" - something that almost everybody who was in the military gets; a 'medal' for rifles and a 'medal' for handguns.

ORS states:

Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D)Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E)Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

Used to have my cert from NRA Hunter's safety course when I was 12 years old, but lost it a long time ago.

Does anyone have a link to the online training course? I keep seeing it referenced and I can't find anything like that.
Look @ "Oregon Sherriff's Assoc" and you will find the on line course for a certificate. Don't know if Wash accepts that in lew of a regular NRA certificate

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top