JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking about drive by shootings (from automobiles) and what group may have started them in the US. My guess is the Italian Mafia made it popular here, long before other street gangs culturally appropriated the tactic.

Disclaimer ...No automobiles , as well as no picked targets ( as a general rule )

Early on...the James / Younger gang would " hurrah " the town , riding up and down the streets and random shots were fired by them.
This tactic / behavior was used by Quantrell during the War , and adapted for bank robbery , by the James / Younger gang.
Andy

I was thinking about drive by shootings (from automobiles) and what group may have started them in the US. My guess is the Italian Mafia made it popular here, long before other street gangs culturally appropriated the tactic.
I'd wager that the POS racist democrat KKK operatives keeping them "uppity n*****s in their place" got the jump on drive-by shootings before gangs ever did.

Listening to current "retired" mobsters talk about their past, it turns out they really weren't such bad guys. If you listen to them. So you really have to go back to books and articles from the time and location. Maybe the mobsters weren't quite as bad as portrayed but not as good as they admit too.

Early 80s, LA drive by shootings were a real thing in a condensed area. I never saw one. A 16yo was killed 2 blocks away but his brother was a major gang leader. Most people were afraid of mugging and assaults than a drive by shooting. During the same period greater LA had to read about it. Not touched by it personally.

The very term "driver" refers to encouraging livestock to move along in a certain direction. The "driver" usually being a boy on foot with a stick to poke at the porkers or other such hoofers.

Disclaimer ...No automobiles , as well as no picked targets ( as a general rule )

Early on...the James / Younger gang would " hurrah " the town , riding up and down the streets and random shots were fired by them.
This tactic / behavior was used by Quantrell during the War , and adapted for bank robbery , by the James / Younger gang.
Andy
"Ride-by" shootings? "'GiddyUp-by" shootings? "GitAlong LittleDoggie-by" shootings?

"GitAlong LittleDoggie-by" shootings?
The deceased was shot by a pug in a "Git Along Li'l Doggie shooting".

1632768026584.png

Growing up in Portland in the 80's we had the wash over Bloods and Crips gangs from Cali and the east coast gangs, plus a bunch of Asian and Russian and Mexican gangs, so drive by's were common in certain parts of the city! North PDX became the epicenter, mostly due to it being "The Projects" left over from the Kaiser shipbuilding years, and any one living around that area could count on hearing the nightly shootings, and wake up the next day to bullet holes in homes and cars, as well as police tape and the coroner's van parked down the street!
As a teen, there were well known places you simply didn't go, and it usually included all the cool places you would want to go, but couldn't!

Add in the well known and lesser but just as dangerous biker gangs, and it was a hot mess ready to explode! Unfortunately ( or very lucky) I got sort of caught up in one of those biker gangs through friends, neighbors, and family, it was mostly out of survival, and there were rules that had to be followed! If you got in trouble, you had better be able to stand on your own, but if the "Club" got involved, it was a blood bath! I know there was a sort of "understanding" between the various gangs and the bikers, as long as nobody stepped over the lines, nobody got hit! Portland was a crazy place once you got outside the down town areas, and even then, after dark, even it turned ugly!

For my own part, I was never officially a member of any club, more guilty by associations, and that was about as good as I could hope! It was kinda nice to know that some one had your back if things went south, and I tried my hardest to not get involved in any of the things going on around the area, but some times it couldn't be avoided!
I'm still friends with several of those people, they are some of the coolest folks to hang out with I know, and I can count on help or being asked to help if the need ever came!

My first thought was out of the various MOB movies and real people - criminals in the MOB.

They came from all nationalities - backgrounds too.

Although, one side gets shown more than the other ones ala THE GODFATHER.

Cate

My first thought was out of the various MOB movies and real people - criminals in the MOB.

They came from all nationalities - backgrounds too.

Although, one side gets shown more than the other ones ala THE GODFATHER.

Cate
I believe you're right. My education on the subject came from movies and the tele. It seems like they are usually associated with Italians in the entertainment venues.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top