Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oregons new education CEO

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by strick, Jun 11, 2012.

1. strick

strick McMinnville Oregon Member

Sorry to rant that a bit but as a public school worker myself giving this jerk wagon 4 times the pay/bennies for a job that was once elected is a huge joke and waste of all our money!!! Even I am PISSED I like our Governor.

Murmurs: It?s Good to be the CEO

2. pogi

pogi Gresham, OR Active Member

More money = a better outcome (at least that's what I'm being told every election cycle concerning education). Oregon might just crawl out of the education cellar with this guy (using OR more money logic).

:paranoid:

3. strick

Well I can tell you that every two years that the education budget from the state is getting smaller in regard to percentage. Ten years ago We gave about 45% of the general fund of the state budget to K-12 Education, now it is under 38%. We are spending more to keep the bad guys locked up and giving more to social services(a.k.a. food stamps and others).

4. DMax

DMax Yamhill Well-Known Member

Until Oregon has a Scott Walker Moment Nothing will change in Oregon no matter how much money you throw at it.

When they do it for You they do it to YOU

PBinWA and (deleted member) like this.
  5. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Oregon is spending less on education today (adjusted for inflation) than it was during the depths of the 2001-2003 recession. Oregon's schools have been in financial crisis for so long, it's the normal mode of operation.

Kevatc and (deleted member) like this.
  6. FortunateSon

FortunateSon Marion County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This thread should be under "OFF TOPIC", as it is not Firearm related......

7. strick

Sorry if a mod can move it to the correct area then please go for it. Small error on my part.

8. FortunateSon

FortunateSon Marion County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good topic, though.

I could go on a rant here.

Administrative costs through the roof, spending completely out of control.........

I don't understand why a High School needs a Principal, 3 Vice-Principals, and an office staff of 12. It seems to be a waste of resources but if someone wants to convince me that it is necessary I am open-minded and willing to listen.

PBinWA, Glockman19, JSJPDX and 5 others like this.
  9. strick

I understand why people are frustrated that state spending on all things seem to be out of control . I am a custodian at a public high school in yamhill county and can tell is that education is not like other businesses.

We make the leaders of tomorrow(sorry to be sappy a bit). But that is was we do. Every student is not the same, any parent can agree with that one. Some kids excel while others do not. I could get into it, but for the simplicity of it all I will not.

Students are not like other say manufactures of say cars or other material goods. We get only so much for every kid PERIOD. But when the state gives less money for each kid we have to make cuts just like any other "business" but what happens when you cut costs in any other business?? Quality lowers, right??

When any other private business hits a slow down receiving less orders for goods they can lay off workers so the workforce matches the product output. Well with education this can not happen. Which means less days in class and more kids in each class.

I wish I had more time to say more, but I have to get to work to clean up after 1500 teenagers.

10. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Typical solution; Throw a ton money at it, see if it sticks, if that doesn't work throw more money at it...

joken and (deleted member) like this.
  11. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

So much for the state hiring freeze!!!!!!

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

<rant>
    Many people like the idea of incentivized performance teaching salary/scales. Why doesn't this guy have a base salary of say, $100,000. It is a big job, that seems fair. Then, based on his performance he can get a bonus. Kind of like how non-public sector jobs have done for years.

That way if he fails, he gets nothing. If he does great, he gets rewarded. Make him set the pay scale for his bonus at the start of the year. X improvement = Y bonus. And I'm not even going to start with the BS car allowance or housing/moving allowance. Dude, you are making $280,000 get your own damn car. Pay your own damn movers.

This is a crazy amount of money considering a starting teacher in Oregon makes about $34,000 a year. Is required to have BA/BS degree and many can't get hired without a Masters. These are the minimum requirements. So a person having just put their self through school, will have perhaps as 'low' as $50,000 to $75,000 in school loans. And make only $34,000 a year, with a cap out of maybe $50,000 after 15 to 20 years. While to some that doesn't seem like a horrible deal, well... It blows great loads of dingo's kidneys.

Housing and car allowance... ARG!

Oh and keep in mind, this is an administrator. So Scott Walker wouldn't have touched him. This guy isn't a Union member. And as for Oregon Teacher's Union's, don't worry they have lost more ground that most people can even fathom in the last 15 to 20 years.

</rant>

I will like to see what he does... With my tax money!

-M

strick and (deleted member) like this.
  13. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

Yup, my sister is a teacher with a Masters (public universities, quite a few grants, ultra-low-interest loans,) getting up there in tenure, recently bought a *VERY* cheap home (three bedroom, 30-year mortgage monthly payment is cheaper than her prior 1-bedroom-in-a-not-great-neighborhood rent,) and has a 10+ year old fully paid for car; she works summer jobs for the extra income, yet she has calculated that she will likely never pay off her student loans.

14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

You can lead a kid into the classroom, but you can't make them learn! The challenge for schools is to make education interesting enough that kids want to learn. Most schools and educators have either forgotten that concept, or have tossed in into the trash as being an unattainable goal.

15. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm in public education. I am going on year #4 of no cost of living adjustment and my health insurance out of pocket is increasing dramatically so no money is being thrown at education where I am at in the trenches. While I agree that throwing more money at a problem isn't a viable solution (especailly in the case of this grossly overpaid CEO mentioned in the OP) this continued cutting of funding creates a perpetual crisis mode in education and is most definitely not the answer. The only thing that our funding system in Oregon does well is to create uncertainty year after year after year. I am so tired of some who complain that our education system is failing and it's the teachers fault and yet funding doesn't allow for enough teachers, class sizes are getting untenable, the ability to repair, refurbish, and purchase new educational equipment is extremely limited. Could a private business be expected to flourish with these kinds of conditions?

16. JSJPDX

JSJPDX East Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I'm not in public education but am one of the many folks that have to pay for it even though I am no longer using the service. There are a lot of comments here about how education is suffering because of a lack of resources. Sorry, everyone is in the same boat, deal with it. The private sector has seen the same, if not deeper cuts than education and yet they have survived and even prospered. The key to their success is adapting and using their resources in a more productive way.

In my mind the reason education is struggling is not for a lack of funds but rather because it is managed like government. The only way some people think it can improve/maintain is by throwing more money at it and now we don't have as much to throw. If we managed education the way we managed business we could do more with the resources we do have. We could be offering different types of education to our children (traditional and vocational are a couple that come to mind) that might actually keep more of them engaged. Why do we have principles and multiple vice-principles at high schools, middle schools, and elementary schools rather than a tiered multi school managment structure? Why do we offer meal programs and then allow fast food vendors to compete with those programs in our schools? Why is it that tenure is more important in teacher retention than performance? If we ran our educational system like a business and cut out all of the waste we'd have more money for important things like reducing class size, upgrading technology, raising student performance, and adequately compensating performing teachers and other school employees, to name a few.

I understand that my thoughts/beliefs are not popular or politically correct but you really don't have to look too hard to see waste and mismanagement.

joken and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

If you want an improvement in education ... more bang for your buck then cutting the bureaucracy is a good start. The amount of do's and dont's, can and cant's, if this then that's is unbelievable. Stable funding (not necessarily more funding) is a next good and intelligent step.

18. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

19. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

That's what happens when people put a dumb A** in office.

20. strick

I see this from time to time(throwing out supplies/books) and this tends to be because of someone ordering books or supplies without talking to the teachers in the classroom and finding out exactly what they need to teach the material they are being asked to teach.

The reason for all the "extra" bureaucracy is a simple one, the states keep passing new laws, thanks George W Bush(NO Child Left Behind), and other more local laws in just about every state that requires all sorts of testing and monitoring and what have you without the funding to pay for it. So the schools have to pull a teachers out from the classroom to do these jobs and in doing so increase class sizes.

I see so many people compare education(k-12 public) to private business and they have to realize one thing, we are not building homes, we are educating students, some want to be there some not, some are extremely smart, some are not. Some have great homes, and some do not. Can you see where I am going with this?? No two kids and I mean no two kids have exactly the same life. You can have one student that is has a crappy home life doing good one day then lose it the next due to what happened at home between leaving school and getting back the next morning, but yet our schools are required by LAW to educate all students. what other private business has to do that kind of thing exactly. I am not talking about following EPA or DEQ or other state or federal laws, we have to follow all those as well. But we are given the same amount per student and we are limited on how many "special needs" funds we can get.

Oregon school districts has been cutting everything it can to stay within state or federal mandates/laws, least my district has(I believe). I will ask again, for anybody who is concerned about their local government, go to the school board meetings, go to your city council meetings, get involved, talk to the teachers, the custodians, the secretaries at the schools and listen to the story of how the current economy is hurting them right now. I know private business is struggling too but I wish for you to see it like this, please, Every business has to deal with inflation. How do you deal with inflation?? You increase of cost of your final product, lower operating cost, find more efficient model. You can not really do that with educating a human being, We are not robots guys, are you?

I know I could go even more into this, but will not.

Kevatc and (deleted member) like this.