Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oregon's Measure 91?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by jefe, Oct 21, 2014.

1. jefe

jefe Portland Active Member

Anyone else notice this aspect of Measure 91?

"(e) Prevent violence and the use of firearms in the cultivation and distribution of marijuana;"

Can anyone explain what this means?

2. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Haven't had a chance to study it yet, what do you think it means?
    I'm undecided on this one still. Nothing in the pro 91 propaganda/literature on firearms.
    Does it mean no armed guards at the place of sale?

3. jefe

I fear it means: partake in the benefits of 91 = not allowed to own/possess firearms.

4. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Well, ain't nothin' in this life is free. You can't have your laced brownies and eat them too.

WilliamIV, Jamie6.5 and OLDNEWBIE like this.
  5. OLDNEWBIE

That's coming sooner or later for sure!

U201491 likes this.
  6. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

It actually refers to the effect legalization would have. As has been seen in Colorado, crimes of all sorts have dropped since legalization; the need to protect your illicit activity regarding weed has declined sharply enough.

7. OLDNEWBIE

"(e) Prevent violence and the use of firearms in the cultivation and distribution of marijuana;"
    That makes sense,

I'd dispute the "crimes of all sorts" have dropped since legalization in CO though.
    Heard an N.P.R. program talking about a big influx of young, unemployed hitting the streets there and all the problems that go with that, since legalization.

Again I'm undecided, I'm not pro Marijuana as much as pro freedom. The whole abuse of medical marijuana cards by people with no job and no real ailment I find irritating though.
    My hope would be legalization would curtail some of this BS.

8. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

This bill is all about the taxing people for something they are already doing. To me it is no different than taxing alcohol and tobacco.

As for that line, is under this heading:
    (2) The People of the State of Oregon intend that the provisions of this Act, together with the other provisions of existing state law, will:

So I think it is exactly what Qaolin was stating. It should lower overall crime rates due to the illegal trade being removed.

9. OLDNEWBIE

What does it say about growing/ smoking your own? You can't legally grow your own tobacco can you??
    And will the ATF become the ATF&M after it passes!??:eek:

10. SOrez

SOrez SOR Active Member

It is all about taxes for local and state governments

11. OLDNEWBIE

It's all about control. I'm still leaning towards YES though as it's one less crime they can pin on me some day.

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

I think you could legally grow your own tobacco. Of course, I don't think it isn't as easy to process as MJ.

And until MJ is removed as a Federal Schedule 1 drug, the ATF can't touch it. Now, the DEA, they can do bad things to you still.

13. SOrez

SOrez SOR Active Member

I am voting yes, why pay to have someone in prison or jail over non violent possession of a weed.

14. OLDNEWBIE

My bros so paranoid about dating a girl who might leave/hide drugs in his car! The types he meets would do that sort of thing too so it's justified paranoia.
    Isn't small qntys of weed only a misdemeanor now though?

15. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

As far as I know the current tobacco restrictions are for its commercial processing and sale.

16. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

It is implying of it is legalizing it will cut down on the illegal activities in the growth and distribution. If you have ever come across a large full scale grow operation in the woods often times they are heavily guarded by armed men.

I have read the measure but from what I do know I will be voting yes. Its no worse then booze or tobacco.

17. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Acording to federal law that is exactly what could be the result. It is still against federal law.

Quite frankly I do not want to meet stoned people driving on 2 lane roads, and they will be if this is made legal. There is no way to breathalyze pot.
    Sorry folks, I am against it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  18. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

They are already there. They've always been there.

jim97701 and jefe like this.
  19. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

People already get hooked for driving while stoned. You just have to prove intoxication in Oregon for an arrest and breath test is just further evidence. LEO's can also write and serve search warrants for blood and/or urine samples. LEO's also have access to trained drug recognition experts who are trained to determine what drug a person is on, marijuana included. Its nothing new.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    jefe likes this.
  20. jefe

So long as 91 doesn't restrict/prohibit the ownership of firearms, then I say "yes." Personally, I don't use marijuana, but I don't use alcohol either. However, who am I to say that someone shouldn't be allowed to use marijuana or alcoholic products?

Regarding this thread, it wasn't created for the sake of arguing whether 91 should pass, or not. Rather, it was created because I am concerned for whether the language in the proposed measure will restrict/prohibit the ownership of firearms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.