JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Toying with the idea of cashing in some savings so i can afford a Washington state fishing license as an Oregon resident.
Then, the thought occurred to me that Washgington folks have licenses on their boat trailers but Oregon does not require it (at least for my size boat)
My luck I'd get pulled over and ticketed for being a trailer terrorist.
Anyone know whether I become a criminal if I tow my Oregon boat in Washington sans trailer license plate?
I halfheartedly tried calling a couple times to Wa. DMV and so far could not get anyone alive to talk to. I think, like Oregon's govt offices, the phones must be teaming with Covid so they're keeping six feet away.
thank you for any insight on out of state trailer regs.

One step further, (have homes in WA. and OR), I registered my trailer in OR years ago to have the title in my name (purchased 2nd hand), never worried about renewing the expired tabs that came with the title change. Presumably if your ID and vehicle are OR registered it wouldn't be an issue - but if the trailer is also registered in OR, 100% no problem then. IMO.

I borrow my buddies OR trailer at times, no plate, and have never had an issue towing it with a WA vehicle.

And yes, I've had county sheriffs drive behind me or by me and have never been pulled over.

Input much appreciated, I rather assumed it was OK, but better be safe than sorry. I try my best not to go looking for trouble, something that is getting more difficult as the ages go by.. I doubt the beefiest semi tractor could haul a printed copy of all the state, county, city, and federal laws and regulations in one load.
Yet still, ignorance of the law is no excuse!:confused:
Thanks again.

I don't know about cars with out of state plates yet I don't know why those would get any special consideration.. But Wash. state law requires a license plate on all trailers. Including things like compressors, log splitters, any utility trailer, etc. Can you get away without a plate? Certainly. But they can write you up for being an unlicensed trailer. These days, my guess is enforcement is lax. I think there just aren't that many patrol and traffic officers to go around; and some of the ones driving are more hesitant to make chicken-stuff stops because it's that much more exposure to the virus. Way more dangerous moving violations going on these days; they ought to save their powder for some of those.

What about the invasive species stuff? Rrrrright.....I've seen the sign. About boats from out of state, entering WA, must be inspected. The sign is on the I-205 just after you cross the bridge from OR.

Aloha, Mark

I heard that Oregon people with boats must push them in front of their tow vehicles with a specially trained little person in the bow of the boat tooting a horn while wearing a hat with a revolving yellow light on top. Every 2 minutes he or she must yell "Clear the way! Oregon driver coming though!"

Well, that's what I heard...:s0092:

WA. State can only require registration for trailers of its own (in-state) citizens.

Feel free to look up
RCW 82.08.0264
Section 1 (b) The motor vehicles, trailers, or campers will be registered and licensed immediately under the laws of the state of the buyer's residence, will not be used in this state more than three months, and will not be required to be registered and licensed under the laws of this state.

That's referring to exemptions on the 'Use-Tax' for residents., but the same would apply to non-resident visitors passing through or even vacationing for awhile. If it's legal in the drivers state of residence, it's legal in WA. for visitors. The legal question is if stopped, have documentation to establish to an officer that it and you are non-resident.

If you wanted to get super explicit about it, printout and carry a copy of the OR. law on this subject: Light trailers have a loaded weight of 8,000 pounds or less, except trailers for hire (for-rent), travel trailers, fixed loads and special use trailers. You do not have to title or register trailers with a loaded weight of 1,800 pounds or less.

I own 4 different types and sizes of trailers with homes in both states, so I've researched this in depth.

Last Edited:
When I drove up to Idaho from Arizona to visit family a few years ago, I got pulled over by ISP for not having a front license plate. I explained politely that Arizona does not issue a front license plate, so I could not put one on the front.

I was given a warning (???).

When I moved permanently to Idaho from Arizona, my new car did not come with a front licence plate holder since the dealer never installed one. I had to zip tie the Idaho plate on to the grille. Ghetto, but it worked.

When I drove up to Idaho from Arizona to visit family a few years ago, I got pulled over by ISP for not having a front license plate. I explained politely that Arizona does not issue a front license plate, so I could not put one on the front.

Back in the 1970's, I was sent TDY to Fort Lewis. I rented a car to get around which came from a pool of cars that had plates from whatever state. The car I was given was corporate registered in California. Which is a state that required and requires plates front and back. This car was missing the front plate. I pulled up to the gate sentry on that part of the post on the west side of I-5 (at that time a WW2 barracks area). The Weisenheimer MP sentry thought he'd show off his knowledge. He said, "California requires a license plate on the front." I said, "It's a rental car." He waved me through.

I don't know about cars with out of state plates yet I don't know why those would get any special consideration.
WA. State can only require registration for trailers of its own (in-state) citizens.

Well, now we know out of state does get special consideration. But good advice below:

If you wanted to get super explicit about it, printout and carry a copy of the OR. law on this subject: Light trailers have a loaded weight of 8,000 pounds or less, except trailers for hire (for-rent), travel trailers, fixed loads and special use trailers. You do not have to title or register trailers with a loaded weight of 1,800 pounds or less.

And this:

You can't expect a WA SP officer necessarily to know Oregon law (but a few might). However, even having the WA statute to refer may come in handy. I'm not knocking the profession, but not all officers know the finer points of the law.

For example, I've owned older vehicles for years that qualify for Collector Vehicle plates. There are quite a few stipulations on the books concerning those rules, both in the RCW and the ACW. I carry copies of pertinent parts of both documents with me when I drive a vehicle so registered. I've never been questioned by anybody. But there are lots of Collector Vehicle plates running around here and there. I saw a rickety-looking 1980-something GM station wagon (over 30 years old, complies with the law on that point) at the DI store the other day. Packed to the headliner front to back, room only for a driver, that was it. Obviously in daily use, which is disallowed as a CV. Probably nobody's ever questioned that driver either.

Never with a boat, but I've had mixed results towing Oregon trailers in WA. Out of probably low-hundreds of trips through, I've been pulled over twice and 'educated', but never ticketed.

Now I just keep my current trailer plated and current (though it is expired right now, and DMV is a lot less than helpful in fixing it) if I'm pulling it in WA even though it isn't required in Oregon (3500lb gross).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top