JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you read ORS 166.412-429, you will see that the FFL and Gun show transfer sheet is to be retained by the seller, so that the state can request it if needed for an investigation.....there is no provision for the state to keep the record, only the seller. So, no, I would say that OR does not have a database of sales like WA does.

In the case of WA, there is a provision that the state "may" keep a data base of records of firearm sales transactions RCW 9.41.129

In the case of the federal government, there is a specific prohibition to the FBI and ATF keep a record of transactions.

Does it say in the law Oregon State police MUST discard the information? If it does, I missed it. After working for DoD for a few years and dealing with government agencies for the majority of my life (family has been DoD and DoJ) I can tell you the government doesn't throw away anything unless they can buy more. Unfortunately data on guns is not something they can just recreate. I find it hard to believe the state police don't keep a copy of the information but, you are entitled to believe whatever you choose.

Wondering if it would be prudent to initiate some legal action to preempt.
If the press was successful in attaining and then publishing the records then a class action would certainly be in order. If the paper knew this hammer already poised over their collective head it might make them think twice.
Organizing in advance might be prudent.

I can not see one single logical reason why they would do this other then to discourage us from having CHL by fear of Identity theft or threat of break ins.

Those people are f u c k bags and really piss me off, If I had that guys info and social, I'd pay to have it posted in the paper, what a piece of bubblegum.

I have my CHL for the same reason some people carry condoms, better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Antigun people and anti CHL people have their priorities and such all f u c ked up. Bunch O' dead heads.

bubblegum it. Let them publish the information. What do I care. It's not a crime...

Its not the fact whether publishing public record is legal or not. We all know its perfectly legal. Its the fact that the news is perpetuating a narrative that somehow gun owners are accessories to murder and contributing to criminal activity, treating us like sex offenders. Its wrong. And when they do such things, the cease to be news and instead are vile propaganda. And free speech has consequences...which is why we should counter with posting newspaper editors, publishers, reporters and workers names, addresses and phone numbers just like they want to do with us.

I have several concerns. I work in a max security facility with some not so nice guys. I have worked to make site my family is hard to find to be safe. The last thing i need is for these bubblegums to publish my info and make them easy to find.

Second of all, who doubts that there would be libs out there who may identify chl holders and try to harass, and possibly even file false charges against them?

Don't know about other counties but Marion county has blocks to check if you want your license to be kept confidential. Here's a link to the application. Confidentiality questions are at the end: <broken link removed>

Here's the official statement from the Sheriffs office: <broken link removed>

I believe this issue comes up every year, the libs allways have the same argument, and it's shot down every year.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top