JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you honestly believe the state throws away the records they use to perform the NICS checks when you purchase a firearm from an FFL or at a gunshow?

The Oregonian Editors and Reporters are First Amendment junkies. They think the First Amendment gives them unconditional access which is why they are all butt hurt they can't get the list.

The First Amendment doesn't protect harmful speech and publishing the list would be harmful as proven by the NY list.

Who reads the fish wrapper........Its all political and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon..........Of course, Oregon is a Obama state and Prius drivers. Of course when I was at gun shop I did see a Prius driver park, and go into teh shop and he even bought a gun( he didnt know squat) but he bought one. Maybe its a start.....He is coming to the other side..

I drive a Prius.

I even drove it to the range today. The hatchback and fold down seats made it easy to haul and unload my AK, my 10/22, my 30-06, and all of my targets and range gear. My Prius also has a center console that is a convenient place to store my Glock.

Does that make me a liberal?

I have a Prius and a few guns. I like to think of it as urban camouflage as it keeps my uber-liberal neighbors thinking I share their visions of social utopia.

The only give away is that it is the only Prius in the neighborhood without an Obama sticker, "equality" sticker or both...

Hell, I'm a Prius-driver (plus that other Portland staple - a Subaru,) who has driven my Prius to gun shows, ranges, stores, even on logging roads to good "unofficial" ranges.

By the way, I find it hilarious that you think the O is ultra-liberal. The liberals consider it ultra-conservative! (It has only endorsed a Democrat for president twice - ever - 2004 and 2008, when it actually WAS under slightly-more-liberal leadership, now it's back to more conservative leadership, and refused to endorse Obama.) I'm sure it's pure market-driven. They know that their readership is mostly liberal-Portland, so it's pandering. (In their latest round of endorsements, aside from not endorsing for president, they endorsed every incumbent at every level except one, and that one appeared to be in response to that candidate's snub for their request to interview.)

From the editorial: "How is the public to know that county sheriffs are issuing licenses only to the people who should get them? Current law says, in effect, "trust us," which is an answer no taxpayer should accept from a government agency barring a compelling reason. Ensuring privacy for license holders is not a compelling reason. "

Sound logic there, dont trust the government. Unfortunately, for the Oregonian editorial board that seems to only apply to certain areas of law, like with firearms but not healthcare. They trust the gov to run healthcare with little oversight. I'm sure we'll see a front page story on "Fast and Furious" scandal any day now, condeming Eric Holder, the ATF and Obama for that. Benghazi? Aww, hilldog hit her head. No story there.

Gannet news services owns most of the papers here in the Willamette Valley as well as that NY paper, I will no longer buy their papers (actually been a year or so since I have).

You better have the AK hanging out the window of a prius.

But I commend you. I could never own one. Hated them when I did road service. More the people than the cars themselves.

And they definetly keep the records. We just had this come up with a FTF purchase. Got a calls from the LEOs about a gun I sold that a friend sold me. So if you buy a gun other than FTF consider it registered.

I drive a Prius.

I even drove it to the range today. The hatchback and fold down seats made it easy to haul and unload my AK, my 10/22, my 30-06, and all of my targets and range gear. My Prius also has a center console that is a convenient place to store my Glock.

Does that make me a liberal?

What do gun owners and Prius drivers seem to have in common? Image problem. LOL

You better have the AK hanging out the window of a prius.

Not an AK, but an SKS (and a Mosin-Nagant, and an old Sears shotgun, and...) Not hanging out the window, but in the back where they belong!
Toyota Prius Gun Racks & Cases.

And I'm not going to post where the handgun goes, don't want to reveal the location of the perfect secret compartment for a small handgun safe. (Drivers of 2004-2009 Priuses (Prii?) know what I'm talking about.)

I'm always skeptical of government and I don't exempt sheriff's office from that list but I really have got to ask what the hell? The Sheriff Office secures all your information and fingerprints and sends them to the FBI for a background check. There is no may issue in Oregon so it can't be argued that the sheriff is using poor judgement in granting the applications? Is the Oregonian suggesting that sheriffs are not submitting information to the FBI for the background search? How can the sheriffs screw this up?

How can the sheriffs screw this up?

They aren't. It is a lie that the fish wrapper is using as an excuse to get the CHL info released. Like all "journalists" they think more highly of themselves than they should and they want to play with the big boys (east coast newspapers). Fortunately for us, they can't get the CHL info, so they are making up excuses to get the info.

If you buy through an FFL in Oregon, there is a defacto registration of sorts, since the Oregon State Police keep a record of all the background checks.

Assuming they have kept that information, they thus have a list that says maybe half to a little more of the people in the state own firearms. That sounds more useful to me as a list showing the large percentage of people opposed to additional gun control in most cases.

Well, I wrote to the editors on the 6th, asking for clarification as to The Oregonian's official policy regarding the publishing of CHL holders information, stating I felt it to be irresponsible and directly placing law abiding citizens in danger.

I heard back from one that it was being forwarded to yet another editor.

crickets chirping.

I get better responses from Congressmen who are clearly anti 2A when I write them... because they actually respond (if even it coming from an aid & being a generic canned letter).

Do you honestly believe the state throws away the records they use to perform the NICS checks when you purchase a firearm from an FFL or at a gunshow?

If you read ORS 166.412-429, you will see that the FFL and Gun show transfer sheet is to be retained by the seller, so that the state can request it if needed for an investigation.....there is no provision for the state to keep the record, only the seller. So, no, I would say that OR does not have a database of sales like WA does.

In the case of WA, there is a provision that the state "may" keep a data base of records of firearm sales transactions RCW 9.41.129

In the case of the federal government, there is a specific prohibition to the FBI and ATF keep a record of transactions.

Both OR and WA have a database of people that have been issued a CHL/CPL, but just because you have a CHL/CPL does not automatically mean you own any firearms. Same goes for a hunting license.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top