JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
WOW I must be tired I almost left a comment on that article. Gee's glad I woke up and realized what a waste of time beating my head against the empty wall that is the Oregonian and its Liberal Supporters.

The individual is to be portrayed as weak, helpless, careless, inept, and dangerous to himself and others. Unable to live without mommy (gov).

(Although Clackamas Town Center rules forbid firearms, carrying a weapon into the mall is not illegal, as long as the handgun owner has a concealed weapons permit. Given that an estimated 7,000 shoppers packed the mall that day, odds say about 280 of them – 4 percent – had concealed handgun licenses)

This is an opinion disguised as a fact. How do they know what % of chl holders were in the mall that day. They want to give the impression that 280 incompetent gun nuts couldn't stop a crazy guy.

Does anyone actually read The Oregonian? It's been years since I've looked at it. It is so biased with a liberal slant it's not worth wasting my time reading any of it.

(Although Clackamas Town Center rules forbid firearms, carrying a weapon into the mall is not illegal, as long as the handgun owner has a concealed weapons permit. Given that an estimated 7,000 shoppers packed the mall that day, odds say about 280 of them – 4 percent – had concealed handgun licenses)

This is an opinion disguised as a fact. How do they know what % of chl holders were in the mall that day. They want to give the impression that 280 incompetent gun nuts couldn't stop a crazy guy.

It's not opinion. It's an application of state statistics to a specific pool, to get a ballpark figure for how many people there may have been carrying.

What is not stated is that most people who have a CHL don't actually carry often, because they believe in the illusion of safe/unsafe areas. This is the same reason why people don't carry at home.

There is a very good chance that there were 200-300 CHL holders there, but it is very likely that only a handful were actually carrying.

Does anyone actually read The Oregonian? It's been years since I've looked at it. It is so biased with a liberal slant it's not worth wasting my time reading any of it.
Unfortunatly whenever you google an Oregon related hot trending story, the Oregonian pops up. Is google left leaning? Not sure, but most Oregon news and info available seems to be. You have to read between the lines for sure in this state to get the facts.

Like most who've posted in this thread, I have lost a lot of respect for The Oregonian over the last few years. The newspaper can hardly be called a credible news source (just like CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc.....), and the quality of the news has, in my opinion, been "dumbed down" in the last decade.

However, the newspaper is still an influential publication, and plays a role in shaping public opinion. That's what's unfortunate.

Anyone see this article in today's Oregonian? Sounds like they're trying to make him out to be a liar and somewhat of a baffoon....

Clackamas Town Center shooting: Story of armed shopper fuels national debate | OregonLive.com

Is it just me, or is the Oregonian trying to slant the story in a way to discredit the CHL holder?

It's just you.

I've read that story twice now and the answer is exactly what the cops said: they don't know. and neither, certainly at the time, did Meli know if he had any effect or not. We certainly DO know that he didn't shoot the guy or shoot AT him. Based on his statements to the cops, perhaps a wise decision.

But there is NO evidence available that Meli had any particular effect. He may or may not have, but we don't KNOW.

I don't see anything in the article that's making this out to be anything other than what it's talking about. Namely that a lot of talk has been made about how this guy supposedly "stopped the shooter," but there isn't a shred of evidence to back that up, and it's contradicted by Meli's initial statements, which ARE, just as stated, usually the most accurate.

A lot of people in the self-defense community have very unrealistic ideas about the effects of carrying a weapon. It's not a magic talisman. It won't stop crimes all by itself. You may not be able to employ it with any effect for a variety of reasons. It's there because it gives you the OPTION of deploying it, which beats Hell out of cowering in a corner and hoping for the best.

I think the article is trying to shed some light on the FACTS of the story and that's about it. It certainly doesn't draw any firm conclusions. It's not a rah rah story for self defense, but it doesn't appear that the CCW holder did anything that had any detectable effect on the outcome. Yes, his story NOW suggests that. But it still isn't proof of anything, and as the article points out, he's contradicting his earlier statements to the cops at the time.

It's just you.

I've read that story twice now and the answer is exactly what the cops said: they don't know. and neither, certainly at the time, did Meli know if he had any effect or not. We certainly DO know that he didn't shoot the guy or shoot AT him. Based on his statements to the cops, perhaps a wise decision.

I'm in agreement, the article is very neutral on Mr. Meli's actions. As are the sheriffs. As is Mr. Meli himself in every interview he has given. It is commentators that have ascribed to him the mythic "he stopped the shooter" status.

Actually, I had a lengthy debate with the people that were pushing him to the front of the line right after the event and I have to agree with the Oregonian here. Their story was full of inconsistencies, kept changing, and did not make any sense. I got the impression they wanted to create a story and manipulated some poor guy that was feeling like he failed and who also wanted to be an LEO.

As much as I hate the Oregonian, it wasn't presented as a FACT! It was presented as possible ODDS. Where's your reading comprehension today man?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top