Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oregonian Story on Clackamas Mall CHL Holder

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by gaijinsamurai, May 3, 2013.

1. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

2. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Yes and yes.
    Screw that POS paper

Nutty4Guns and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

I didn't see the article until you pointed it out. I would expect nothing less from that liberal rag.

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

WOW I must be tired I almost left a comment on that article. Gee's glad I woke up and realized what a waste of time beating my head against the empty wall that is the Oregonian and its Liberal Supporters.

5. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

The individual is to be portrayed as weak, helpless, careless, inept, and dangerous to himself and others. Unable to live without mommy (gov).

6. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

(Although Clackamas Town Center rules forbid firearms, carrying a weapon into the mall is not illegal, as long as the handgun owner has a concealed weapons permit. Given that an estimated 7,000 shoppers packed the mall that day, odds say about 280 of them – 4 percent – had concealed handgun licenses)

This is an opinion disguised as a fact. How do they know what % of chl holders were in the mall that day. They want to give the impression that 280 incompetent gun nuts couldn't stop a crazy guy.

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  7. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

Does anyone actually read The Oregonian? It's been years since I've looked at it. It is so biased with a liberal slant it's not worth wasting my time reading any of it.

8. RBid

RBid Wilsonville, OR Well-Known Member

It's not opinion. It's an application of state statistics to a specific pool, to get a ballpark figure for how many people there may have been carrying.

What is not stated is that most people who have a CHL don't actually carry often, because they believe in the illusion of safe/unsafe areas. This is the same reason why people don't carry at home.

There is a very good chance that there were 200-300 CHL holders there, but it is very likely that only a handful were actually carrying.

9. Gaucho Gringo

Gaucho Gringo Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I gave up subscription to The Oregonian a year ago after reading it for over 50 years. Not a newspaper anymore but a propaganda machine.

10. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Unfortunatly whenever you google an Oregon related hot trending story, the Oregonian pops up. Is google left leaning? Not sure, but most Oregon news and info available seems to be. You have to read between the lines for sure in this state to get the facts.

11. MadHatter

MadHatter Oregon New Member

what does a certain person call it? "local dead fish wrapper?" sounds about right too me.

12. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Sorry, that is true of ALL mainstream, locked down, banker media. FIVE super-corps spoon feeding Americans BS 24/7.

13. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

Yeah, it definitely is.

14. gaijinsamurai

Like most who've posted in this thread, I have lost a lot of respect for The Oregonian over the last few years. The newspaper can hardly be called a credible news source (just like CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc.....), and the quality of the news has, in my opinion, been "dumbed down" in the last decade.

However, the newspaper is still an influential publication, and plays a role in shaping public opinion. That's what's unfortunate.

15. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

It's just you.

I've read that story twice now and the answer is exactly what the cops said: they don't know. and neither, certainly at the time, did Meli know if he had any effect or not. We certainly DO know that he didn't shoot the guy or shoot AT him. Based on his statements to the cops, perhaps a wise decision.

But there is NO evidence available that Meli had any particular effect. He may or may not have, but we don't KNOW.

I don't see anything in the article that's making this out to be anything other than what it's talking about. Namely that a lot of talk has been made about how this guy supposedly "stopped the shooter," but there isn't a shred of evidence to back that up, and it's contradicted by Meli's initial statements, which ARE, just as stated, usually the most accurate.

A lot of people in the self-defense community have very unrealistic ideas about the effects of carrying a weapon. It's not a magic talisman. It won't stop crimes all by itself. You may not be able to employ it with any effect for a variety of reasons. It's there because it gives you the OPTION of deploying it, which beats Hell out of cowering in a corner and hoping for the best.

I think the article is trying to shed some light on the FACTS of the story and that's about it. It certainly doesn't draw any firm conclusions. It's not a rah rah story for self defense, but it doesn't appear that the CCW holder did anything that had any detectable effect on the outcome. Yes, his story NOW suggests that. But it still isn't proof of anything, and as the article points out, he's contradicting his earlier statements to the cops at the time.

oknow and (deleted member) like this.
  16. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

I'm in agreement, the article is very neutral on Mr. Meli's actions. As are the sheriffs. As is Mr. Meli himself in every interview he has given. It is commentators that have ascribed to him the mythic "he stopped the shooter" status.

17. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Actually, I had a lengthy debate with the people that were pushing him to the front of the line right after the event and I have to agree with the Oregonian here. Their story was full of inconsistencies, kept changing, and did not make any sense. I got the impression they wanted to create a story and manipulated some poor guy that was feeling like he failed and who also wanted to be an LEO.

18. gaijinsamurai

Fair enough.

19. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

Did Pete Rose bet on baseball?
    Did Hillary fib about 9/11/2012?
    Does Barry hate gun owners?
    Is Joe Bidet dumber than a box o' rocks?
    Really........

20. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

As much as I hate the Oregonian, it wasn't presented as a FACT! It was presented as possible ODDS. Where's your reading comprehension today man?