JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was reading the Oregonian the other day, and came across an article titled "mother lobbies for stricter gun control laws in Oregon". In the article it talks about how her son was shot, and killed due to gang violence. She is trying to lobby with mayor Sam Adams (go figure) to make to gun policies stricter here. In the article it also mentions that her son was a known gang member, and was shot by another known gang member. Now it seems outrageous because most gang members do not obtain firearms legally, so why would restricting the availability of obtaining firearms legally like all of us do make any difference. The most surprising thing of all was that politicians from Texas, where the mother was from were sponsoring her in all of this, doesn't Texas have drive through gun shops?

Typical. Instead of dealing with the root cause (gangs, parental shortcomings, drugs, etc..), let's deal with the symptoms. Unfortunately, this "solution" doesn't actually do anything except infringe of the rights of the average law abiding citizen.

Texas was loosening their laws so you could carry in more places because of criminals like her son and his associates. It's too bad he got shot but gangmembers know that shooting goes with the territory.

It's like banning alcohol because people are killed by drunk drivers. And alcohol was banned once and that did not work. Banning anything only effects law abiding citizens from the pleasures in life.

Sounds to me like she can't see the real underlying reasons behind her son's death..and is trying to fix blame anywhere she can. If she wants to start at the root of the problem, she can find a major factor in her son's demise by looking in the nearest mirror.

Sounds to me like she can't see the real underlying reasons behind her son's death..and is trying to fix blame anywhere she can. If she wants to start at the root of the problem, she can find a major factor in her son's demise by looking in the nearest mirror.

Its easier for people to blame inanimate objects. The emotions take over and offer comfort to help "make a difference". Look at the neo-prohibitionists at MADD. IIRC, the woman who founded that organization has since disowned them as too extreme. I call them emotional terrorists.

Don't forget, liberals thrive on emotion. They are not really interested in fixing a problem. They just need to feel good about their intentions. Just look how well the war on poverty has worked. I agree with MA Duce, his mother should take a long look in the nearest mirror.

How does that fit with the blame someone else mantra?

Mayor Sam Adams, anti-gang violence activists call for tougher gun-control measures | OregonLive.com

Teressa Raiford was back in her hometown of Portland last September, helping set up an anti-violence program for youth when the need for such services hit home.

Her 19-year-old nephew, Andre Payton, was shot dead in a hail of gunfire outside an Old Town nightclub, about a month after she arrived, one of a string of victims of gang-related violence in Portland last year. And the violence persists -- four people were shot early Sunday in Northeast Portland, the fifth gang-related incident since March 12.

Payton's death -- and the comments Raiford heard from his friends in the days afterward -- convinced the Dallas, Texas business consultant to extend her stay in Portland and help advocate for better services for youths and tougher gun-control laws.

"They said there were 40 shots that rang out that night," said Raiford, one of several people at a Monday press conference calling for tougher background checks for gun buyers. She urged citizens to support a federal bill to fix gaps in the background check system to "try to do something that's going to save these children."

The press conference was organized by the Fix Gun Checks campaign, a project of Mayors Against Illegal Guns. The campaign is traveling across the country towing a large billboard that displays the estimated number of gun-involved murders in the country since the Jan. 8 mass shootings in Tucson, Ariz. that killed six people and injured 13 others, including U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. The billboard's tally at Monday's press conference was 2,449.

Among others, Portland Mayor Sam Adams criticized incomplete background check systems and encouraged citizens to back a federal bill that is designed to address loopholes.

He also criticized federal law for "holding us back" from enacting tougher laws on the local level.

The city recently enacted five new gun-control laws aimed at curbing gun-violence, particularly among juveniles. The laws hold adults responsible if their guns get into children's hands, penalize gun owners who don't report the theft or loss of a firearm, and designate shooting hot spot zones and allow the city to exclude certain gun offenders from them.

They also set curfews for juveniles who have been convicted of certain gun offenses and enact a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 days in jail for a gun offender found carrying a loaded gun in a public place.

For Raiford, her nephew's death was a wake-up call to the prevalence of guns, and the ease with which people can get them.

She remembered asking Payton's friends if they knew he carried a gun. She was shocked at the responses that "everybody does" and "it's not safe to run around here without a gun."

"Basically, it's a way of life," she said.

And so she's now reaching out to other community groups and government agencies about the prospects of setting up a gang phone line, in which gang members or former gang members could take phone calls from kids seeking guidance. She also wants to set up a foundation in Payton's memory that could serve as a hub for all the resources available to youths in need.

And despite several months of "couch surfing," she's not ready to go home yet.

"I'm still with the same suitcase of clothes," she said. "I didn't know I was coming out here for a funeral."

-- Helen Jung

When they break, or not remember, that law then and only then we could put Ten more laws into effect banning the non-recognition of previously ignored laws . Then we throw in " For the Children " and possibly some [ communistic ] Green slogan and then make some more laws. Golly gee and wow Batman we cured gotham of crime again.....Now if we can get the gang members to drive a prius , quit using those plastic bags and use the correct lightbulbs ... Maybe we could AXXX Dem wuh de wan , BANG x 40 , whoops excuse me sonny did you get a background check for your weapon there???

I was reading the Oregonian the other day, and came across an article titled "mother lobbies for stricter gun control laws in Oregon". In the article it talks about how her son was shot, and killed due to gang violence. She is trying to lobby with mayor Sam Adams (go figure) to make to gun policies stricter here. In the article it also mentions that her son was a known gang member, and was shot by another known gang member. Now it seems outrageous because most gang members do not obtain firearms legally, so why would restricting the availability of obtaining firearms legally like all of us do make any difference. The most surprising thing of all was that politicians from Texas, where the mother was from were sponsoring her in all of this, doesn't Texas have drive through gun shops?

And the net effect of what she wants would result in me, a law abiding citizen, being disarmed when I am robbed at gun point by a scum bag like her son. I can only hope that more gang members like her son suffer the same fate.

most gang members do not obtain firearms legally, so why would restricting the availability of obtaining firearms legally like all of us do make any difference.
Unfortunately this never gets answered or if does it is usually some off the wall answer given by a lefty who does not understand the reality of it. I asked a similar question while I was in the company of some hardcore lefties and the answers were all side steps or pure BS. One answered, "Well we just make all guns illegal and then no one can get them" To which I referenced the X amount of guns in circulation and suddenly I "Didn't know what I was talking about and I did not make sense"

Actually, if you want to keep making blanket statements about "lefties" then you DON'T know what you are talking about and you DON'T make sense! There are all kinds of different "lefties" and trying to lump them all together as if they all believed the same things on the same issues is simply deluded arrogance. Especially on firearm freedom issues "lefty" principles are all over the spectrum. You may have met a few dummies, but that is no sound cause to assume ALL are fools on firearm issues. I have associated with "lefties" all of my life and estimate about seventy percent of men and forty percent of women see firearm freedom as an essential right and need. Decades ago I was aquainted with the State Chairman of the Communist Party of Oregon---he was a fervent Life Member of the National Rifle Association, and avid hunter, and an enthusiastic reloader. Does that shake up your stereotype of a "lefty" a little bit? Blanket stereotypes that PUSH PATRIOTS APART instead of uniting them for firearm freedom efforts are simply wrong and counterproductive..........................elsullo

Unfortunately this never gets answered or if does it is usually some off the wall answer given by a lefty who does not understand the reality of it. I asked a similar question while I was in the company of some hardcore lefties and the answers were all side steps or pure BS. One answered, "Well we just make all guns illegal and then no one can get them" To which I referenced the X amount of guns in circulation and suddenly I "Didn't know what I was talking about and I did not make sense"

Actually, if you want to keep making blanket statements about "lefties" then you DON'T know what you are talking about and you DON'T make sense! There are all kinds of different "lefties" and trying to lump them all together as if they all believed the same things on the same issues is simply deluded arrogance. Especially on firearm freedom issues "lefty" principles are all over the spectrum. You may have met a few dummies, but that is no sound cause to assume ALL are fools on firearm issues. I have associated with "lefties" all of my life and estimate about seventy percent of men and forty percent of women see firearm freedom as an essential right and need. Decades ago I was aquainted with the State Chairman of the Communist Party of Oregon---he was a fervent Life Member of the National Rifle Association, and avid hunter, and an enthusiastic reloader. Does that shake up your stereotype of a "lefty" a little bit? Blanket stereotypes that PUSH PATRIOTS APART instead of uniting them for firearm freedom efforts are simply wrong and counterproductive..........................elsullo

I believe everything I read on the internet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top