JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to get back into waterfowl hunting. I hunted for many years in the Midwest and want to get back into it out here. Does anyone know of any good waterfowl hunting clubs with memberships available within a 1-2 hour drive or Portland? I'd be interested in any contact info or web sites that you could provide. Willing to put in some sweat equity as well with help building blinds and such.

Thanks in advance!

I can't be much help as far as clubs go, but there are more than enough of them around with a large concentration of them on Sauvies Island and Deer Island.
I myself am a transplant from the Midwest (Iowa/Minnesota). I had a little trouble getting started out here because, as I'm sure you know, waterfowlers can be a little gaurded when it comes to information.;)
There are several good spots within an hour or two of Portland. Do you have a boat??
I would say that I could take you out on a hunt or two next season and give you a good starting point, but unfortunately Oregon decided to double the cost of their out of state hunting and fishing licenses this year. I guess even in this economy they don't feel they need the revenue generated from out of state license sales or the money that comes with persuing our hobbies in their state.:(
In the past I have hunted waterfowl pretty much exclusively in Oregon, but now I'll be spending my time scouting on this side of the river.

Shooter, I used to hunt up around Fergus Falls in MN. It could be some awesome hunting when a cold front came down out of Manitoba and pushed the divers down. Had some great hunting on a little lake outside of Fergus for Bluebills and Ringbills.

I don't currently have a boat, but am considering buying a little johnboat and plying some of the backwaters off of the Columbia or Wilamette if I can find access, although I am wary of venturing too far out on the Columbia as when the wind comes up it can be a very unforgiving river. Looking more for some land locked hunting in marshland areas in the general flyway.

Nothing like a Canadian cold front driving thousands of birds in one big push. You don't see numbers like that out here, but the hunting can be more consistent. We typically take close to our limit almost every time out, but sometimes that requires hunting most of the day. I can remember multiple occasions in Southeastern Minnesota (Red Wing to Winona) and North Central Iowa (Clear Lake) where we had our limit 10 minutes into season and spent the next two hours watching in awe as tornando's of ducks funneled out of the sky. The best shooting I've seen out here in the last 8 years was this season during that extended cold snap that we had in December. Brought back memories of the "good old days".

I don't know of many marsh type areas as I spend most of my time hunting the Columbia. I hunt out of a 16' sled and aside from two occasions down by Astoria I have never felt concerned about the conditions. I do know of a couple of places on the river where I would feel safe in something as small as a 12 footer as long as you had a reliable motor.

I'm pretty busy the next week or so, but sometime down the road we could get together and I could direct you to a few 'honey holes'. We could meet up and do some shooting followed by a cup of coffee or a beer and some map time.

Of course, if I end up shelling out the $140 bucks to hunt Oregon next year then I would be more than happy to take you out for a personal tour of a few spots.
It's a tough one to swollow considering I can buy the WA license for $12.50, but as of yet I have been unable to find any areas in WA that are nearly as productive as some of my favorite Oregon spots.
Considering I'm a duckaholic (the first step is admitting you have a problem) I'll most likely break down and buy the OR license...although I'll probably continue to gripe about it all season long.:D

Of course, if I end up shelling out the $140 bucks to hunt Oregon next year then I would be more than happy to take you out for a personal tour of a few spots.
It's a tough one to swollow considering I can buy the WA license for $12.50, but as of yet I have been unable to find any areas in WA that are nearly as productive as some of my favorite Oregon spots.
Considering I'm a duckaholic (the first step is admitting you have a problem) I'll most likely break down and buy the OR license...although I'll probably continue to gripe about it all season long.:D

Shooter,

I thought we had something worked out. Coyote, ducks, and geese. Lets start slinging some lead. I will also help you with that upper if you want. You got my number so let me know.

Scott

Hey Scott,

Sent you a PM about getting out to shoot some Yotes. I've been booked solid the last few weeks and spare time is impossible to find! I wasn't even able to get out and shoot any quackers on the last weekend of season!
I just need the wife to get through school so I can retire!:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top