JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OREGONIANS: CALL, WRITE AND E-MAIL YOUR STATE SENATOR RIGHT NOW AND GET THEM TO STOP THIS IN THE SENATE!!!

The bill has already sneaked through the Oregon House on a fast low-key vote with only one vote against: HB 3199

Full text of the House Bill here:
<broken link removed>

"Prohibits release of sky lantern, discharge of exploding target or discharge of tracer ammunition during fire season on or near forest protection district lands."

"during fire season" effectively means most of the shooting season in Oregon

"near forest protection district lands" means about 2/3 of public AND PRIVATE lands in Oregon and all of western Oregon.

This goofy bill would ban Tannerite Targets EVEN THOUGH TANNERITE IS NON-INCENDIARY!

I read through the text, and I don't see where tannerite would be banned.

(a) 'Exploding target' means a device:
(A) Designed for use or used as a target for small arms
ammunition or for other projectiles;
(B) Consisting of a flammable substance or flammable
combination of substances; and
(C) Capable of exploding when struck by small arms gunfire or
by other projectiles.

This seems to exclude tannerite to me as it does not consist of a flammable substance or flammable combination of substances.

If I am incorrect in reading this, please let me know, thank you!

Your question brings up a VERY important understanding of how such prohibition laws work:

What is "incendiary" in this case would be defined by the Oregon State Fire Marshall's (OSFM) office. The OSFM has had an active grudge against Tannerite and its manufacturer for well over a decade. Indeed, Dan Tanner currently has a long-time lawsuit pending against the OSFM office for abuse of authority under color of law. You can just imagine how "fair and unbiased" the OSFM office will be if they get to implement this new wording!

And the OSFM has already labeled Tannerite an incendiary device. How did they do it? By adding five (!) times the normal amount of activator to a Tannerite target, the OSFM was able to produce a small flash and therefor has labeled the product "incendiary" and so would be banned by the proposed law.

Which is pure crappola. In the real world of honest people, Tannerite is non-incendiary and there is video to prove it. Have a look at:

<broken link removed>

But when it has a grudge against someone, the OSFM office, rather like the ATF, will stop at nothing to bend laws, regs, and reality itself to serve its wants.

This seems to exclude tannerite to me as it does not consist of a flammable substance or flammable combination of substances.

While I do not have anything to comment on the Tannerite issue, I do know that tracer ammunition is bad news when the woods are dry. In 2007 a fire was started near property owned by our family by someone firing a .50 cal. tracer into a stump in a recent clearcut. It burned about 450 acres and cost a considerable amount to fight the fire. Our property was saved because the wind was blowing the fire the other direction.

I do believe that the wording of the law should be "closed fire season." This would indicate that the law would apply when the Oregon Department of Forestry was limiting forest operations under their regular authority, and conditions exist that make the danger of a fire a legitimate concern. The current wording is too broad.

tracers are already illegal on usfs lands...It is a 500 dollar ticket and a 25 dollar handling fee...I know this one guy that just got that ticket two days ago.And when I asked the officer where I can find this law and like laws so I didnt mess up again ,he said, its a real pain to find ,but heres your ticket

it would depend; if section a of the definition would stand alone or if it has to include b and c.

One of the best sources of surplus 5.56 .30 and .50 caliber bullets for reloading is tracers.. and there have been very few times they have started fires.. this is an attempt to negatively impact reloaders

We need to stand firmly against this entire legislation. This is a law looking for a non-existent problem. Yes, we've all got a one-see, two-see story... but that is it. There is not an over-whelming problem that needs this type of erronious law placed on the books.

I particularly like the 1/8 mile thing... Really? So if I have property and my shooting backstop is 1/8 mile from a fire-closure area, I'm breaking the law... Fantastic...

I wasn't really concerned about any of this until I saw all the BOLD, CAPS, ITALICS, UNDERLINE AND EXLAMATION POINTS!!!

Now I'm really motivated.

Your question brings up a VERY important understanding of how such prohibition laws work:

What is "incendiary" in this case would be defined by the Oregon State Fire Marshall's (OSFM) office. The OSFM has had an active grudge against Tannerite and its manufacturer for well over a decade. Indeed, Dan Tanner currently has a long-time lawsuit pending against the OSFM office for abuse of authority under color of law. You can just imagine how "fair and unbiased" the OSFM office will be if they get to implement this new wording!

And the OSFM has already labeled Tannerite an incendiary device. How did they do it? By adding five (!) times the normal amount of activator to a Tannerite target, the OSFM was able to produce a small flash and therefor has labeled the product "incendiary" and so would be banned by the proposed law.

Which is pure crappola. In the real world of honest people, Tannerite is non-incendiary and there is video to prove it. Have a look at:

<broken link removed>

But when it has a grudge against someone, the OSFM office, rather like the ATF, will stop at nothing to bend laws, regs, and reality itself to serve its wants.

Thanks for clarifying that.

these little laws/bills they are introducing are nothing but, the beginning of the end of any and all shooting outside of a public accepted shooting area. It will not be long before you will not be able to drive up a dead end logging road and be able to shoot even a target.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top