JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

"GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) - The Oregon Supreme Court unanimously ruled Thursday that retired bus driver Cynthia Willis can have her medical marijuana and a concealed handgun, too.

The ruling issued in Salem, Ore., upheld previous decisions by the Oregon Court of Appeals and circuit court in finding that a federal law barring criminals and drug addicts from buying firearms does not excuse sheriffs from issuing concealed weapons permits to people who hold medical marijuana cards and otherwise qualify.

"We hold that the Federal Gun Control Act does not pre-empt the state's concealed handgun licensing statute and, therefore, the sheriffs must issue (or renew) the requested licenses," Chief Justice Paul De Muniz wrote.
Willis welcomed the ruling.
"

What an amazing decision, what are they going to say when someone high on pot gets violently angry, grabs their gun, and then freezes while laughing at the pattern in the rug for ten minutes!

Buried in the fine print of this ruling...there's a bunch of caveats. So don't start rolling 'em and lighting up just yet...

Oregon ‘high’ court: Medical pot users can have CCW permits

The Oregon Supreme Court today ruled unanimously that people who use medical marijuana cannot be denied concealed weapons permits, noting that there is nothing in the 1968 federal gun control act that specifically preempts a state’s concealed carry licensing statute.

However....

<broken link removed>

Buried in the fine print of this ruling...there's a bunch of caveats. So don't start rolling 'em and lighting up just yet...

Oregon &#8216;high' court: Medical pot users can have CCW permits

The Oregon Supreme Court today ruled unanimously that people who use medical marijuana cannot be denied concealed weapons permits, noting that there is nothing in the 1968 federal gun control act that specifically preempts a state's concealed carry licensing statute.

However....

<broken link removed>

Pesky legal details... we should just legalize pot, this is twenty years late and long overdue!

Maybe Obama will do it, after all he needs the pothead... no that won't work cause they don't vote.

Oregon &#8216;high' court: Medical pot users can have CCW permits

The Oregon Supreme Court today ruled unanimously that people who use medical marijuana cannot be denied concealed weapons permits, noting that there is nothing in the 1968 federal gun control act that specifically preempts a state's concealed carry licensing statute.

However....

<broken link removed>

I think you missed a key detail in your opinion in that article, possessing a MMJ document doesn't in itself prove drug use/abuse since possession of the document never got anyone high.

I'd rather see a CHL in the hands of a smoker than a drunk, anyday. You ever see anyone get "violently angry" after smoking a joint?? Happens all the time when whiskey's involved....perfectly legal...

What an amazing decision, what are they going to say when someone high on pot gets violently angry, grabs their gun, and then freezes while laughing at the pattern in the rug for ten minutes!

I take it you haven't been around a lot of pot smokers "violently angry" doesn't describe anyone I have ever known while they were smoking pot.

3 Beers try to bust up the bar on a Saturday night sure but pot never

1st of all, I'm not a user. That said, this as we all know is a VERY different state. The "State of shock and disrepair" if you know what I mean. The Oregon supreme court has passed down a ruling on this, and it's now the way it is. Personally, I trust no one around me with a firearm that is either loaded or drunk, both have the possibility of a bad outcome. I have friends that drink, and some that smoke, some that do both. I feel that given their freedom to choose, which is as it should be as this is the United states of America, I have to ask myself this question,, while I may not choose to make the choice that they have, do I have the right to impose my choice upon them, and this includes the right to arms? Were probably on the same page when it comes to freedoms my friend.

I've heard the same sentiment from many LEO's. Seems silly that we continue to outlaw a safer, less intoxicating substance than alcohol, tobacco, or painkillers. Heard of any pot overdoses lately?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top