JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

This question is founded upon curiosity and not with any intention of doing this, but is it illegal to store a firearm in a public university dorm if the person doing so is over the age of 21 without a CHL?

I am not 100% up to date on this area, but the last I read is Oregon banned all firearms on public campuses (with or without CHL). There was a movement to stop this ban, but I have no idea if this still stands or not.

Little or no help from this post, but maybe it will give you a direction to research for your, "curiosity"...

I didn't mean by school policy, I mean by law (if that makes any difference to your answer). As in, could one by arrested in charged if they were found to have a firearm stored in their dorm and was of age.

There is no state law against it. Technically colleges do not have the right/power/authority to do much of anything with firearms. Since only the State Legislature has the power in the state to write a law that applies to guns.

They have however got the power to control anyone they have a contract with. This would include students it is under this power they have banned those people they have contracts with from having firearms on the campus.

Least that is how I have read the discussions here on the subject.

Just a ball park guess here:

1. Your 21 years of age
2. You own firearms
3. You will be attending college this year for the first time or the first time with firearms
4. You are 21 in college and cannot do your own research
5. You will do badly in college due to laziness and/or inept ability to do ones own work.
6. You will drop out of college and become a burden upon all of us.
7. You will respond to this post in the most juvenile way possible...

If I recall correctly, Oregon does have a ban on possessing a firearm in public buildings without CHL? Would a college dorm be included in this?

Just a ball park guess here:

1. Your 21 years of age
2. You own firearms
3. You will be attending college this year for the first time or the first time with firearms
4. You are 21 in college and cannot do your own research
5. You will do badly in college due to laziness and/or inept ability to do ones own work.
6. You will drop out of college and become a burden upon all of us.
7. You will respond to this post in the most juvenile way possible...

Nope, I've actually already graduated college. Nice try though, this question is asked mainly out of curiosity. I read the law pertaining to weapons possession in public buildings, and this question came up in my head.

Nope, I've actually already graduated college. Nice try though, this question is asked mainly out of curiosity. I read the law pertaining to weapons possession in public buildings, and this question came up in my head.

So which forum are you lying on, NWF or this one: A few concerns regarding my background | Police & Law Enforcement Discussions and Forums - PoliceLink

Like I said before, "inept at doing ones own research". This characteristic will make you a horrible LE officer...

AFewConcerns.jpg

GFSZ.jpg

YetAgain.jpg

Congrats, you got me...

Because obviously being less than truthful on a forum where someone is blatantly being hostile is the same as being less than truthful on an application.

Doesn't change the subject at hand, a little creeped out that you went snooping around on me though. I'm flattered.

There is no state law against it. Technically colleges do not have the right/power/authority to do much of anything with firearms. Since only the State Legislature has the power in the state to write a law that applies to guns.

They have however got the power to control anyone they have a contract with. This would include students it is under this power they have banned those people they have contracts with from having firearms on the campus.

Least that is how I have read the discussions here on the subject.

What about this part then :

166.360 Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380. As used in ORS 166.360 to 166.380, unless the context requires otherwise:
(4) "Public building" means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.

166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging firearm at school. (1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

What about this part then :

166.360 Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380. As used in ORS 166.360 to 166.380, unless the context requires otherwise:
(4) "Public building" means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.

166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging firearm at school. (1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

I WAS WRONG

I WAS WRONG

No worries. I think OP has 2 options if he insists on storing the firearm on university property:

- get a CHL (most obvious one)
- store it unloaded and locked in the motor vehicle per 166.370 (3)(g)(B)

I must also say that it's not clear whether 166.370 (3)(g)(B) applies to universities, or it literally applies to 12K's only. A competent attorney should be consulted on the matter.

Congrats, you got me...

Because obviously being less than truthful on a forum where someone is blatantly being hostile is the same as being less than truthful on an application.

Doesn't change the subject at hand, a little creeped out that you went snooping around on me though. I'm flattered.

Polygraphs are diferent for every department and state. There will be a few questions that will be asked to meet the min. lawful requirments to allow you to be a LEO, but they will not all be the same. I always tell people to answer every question truthfully, but don't have diahrea of the mouth!

Just an observation; you appear to be having trouble following the law, but just haven't been caught yet. You should also remember that even though you may not have a criminal record to be found; LE agencies have the internet and search engines too and they use them liberaly. They will reference and cross referance you all day long on the internet using different search engines and sites. The average acceptable amount of hours spent on a background check is 40 hrs, so there will be considerable effort on their part. So stop going around on the internet forums and spouting off all the laws you violated, but not been caught violating. Duh! Spend a little more time hitting the books and think about working in a crime lab so one of us doesn't get pulled over and shot by you.

Interesting tangent for you all:

Back in 2003 or so, Portland State University did not own it's own housing. It was infact owned by College Housing Northwest. I had a friend living in my dorm with me at that time (Ondine building specifically) and he had a tactical shotgun with us in our dorm room. A maintenance person came into our apartment for some random issue I'd given them permission for, not thinking anything of a firearm. They saw it, were scared, and called the police. My roommate was arrested and the firearm was taken from him.

They were attempting to say he illegally brought a firearm into a state building, PSU being a state university. However, the dorm was actually not the property of the University, it just serviced the university. This got into a tricky grey area, as it isn't state property unless it's state owned, and in the case it was not only not owned by the state, but was also not even managed by the state. It also had key card only access, so it wasn't even technically open to the public at all.

In the end the state agreed to drop charges, but there is some grey area with state housing and what not. Honestly though... just get your concealed carry. I picked mine up yesterday, and from the time I decided to pick mine up to the time I had my printed state issued CHL in my hand was 3 hours.

The Oregon University System (which controls all Oregon public universities), as a matter of policy, prohibits firearms possession by students on any property owned or controlled by OUS, including student housing actually "owned" by a private firm. There are exceptions for things like rifle and pistol clubs, ROTC, and other approved uses.

The NRA seems to have endorsed this approach:

First, we believe in absolutely gun-free, zero-tolerance, totally safe schools. That means no guns in America's schools, period ... with the rare exception of law enforcement officers or trained security personnel.

--Wayne LaPierre, 1999 Address to NRA Annual Meeting

The Oregon University System (which controls all Oregon public universities), as a matter of policy, prohibits firearms possession by students on any property owned or controlled by OUS, including student housing actually "owned" by a private firm. There are exceptions for things like rifle and pistol clubs, ROTC, and other approved uses.

The NRA seems to have endorsed this approach:

First, we believe in absolutely gun-free, zero-tolerance, totally safe schools. That means no guns in America's schools, period ... with the rare exception of law enforcement officers or trained security personnel.

--Wayne LaPierre, 1999 Address to NRA Annual Meeting

Haha! Excellent find! Wayne is just like his best new buddy Mitt.

Interesting tangent for you all:

Back in 2003 or so, Portland State University did not own it's own housing. It was infact owned by College Housing Northwest. I had a friend living in my dorm with me at that time (Ondine building specifically) and he had a tactical shotgun with us in our dorm room. A maintenance person came into our apartment for some random issue I'd given them permission for, not thinking anything of a firearm. They saw it, were scared, and called the police. My roommate was arrested and the firearm was taken from him.

They were attempting to say he illegally brought a firearm into a state building, PSU being a state university. However, the dorm was actually not the property of the University, it just serviced the university. This got into a tricky grey area, as it isn't state property unless it's state owned, and in the case it was not only not owned by the state, but was also not even managed by the state. It also had key card only access, so it wasn't even technically open to the public at all.

In the end the state agreed to drop charges, but there is some grey area with state housing and what not. Honestly though... just get your concealed carry. I picked mine up yesterday, and from the time I decided to pick mine up to the time I had my printed state issued CHL in my hand was 3 hours.

I'd say there is too little information on this one. It could be possible that the nature of the relationship between the university and the dorm owners would still qualify it as a public building despite not being owned or managed by the university. It is also possible that they actually did not have a case, and that's why the charges got dropped. If you find out more details, please do share.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top